The Race Place

Peter Snell RIP

Hesi

The man who is ingrained in the psyche of so many older NZ'ers, fell asleep at age 80 and didn't wake up.

He was such a joy to so many, that it is justice that he did not linger on for years with some debilitating illness....there is a God after all

Peter Snell - my idol when I was a kid, later superseded by Walker/Dixon/Quax. I still have a 45 rpm recording of Snell's win at Cook's Gardens, Wanganui. Sends chills down the spine. I became a long distance runner as a teenager running 10-20 kms most days in training. Buggered my knees in no small way, I can tell you.

Then a few years later the neighbours sold their house and guess who moved in next door ? Another legend of track & field - Norman Read, who is somewhat forgotten these days. Norm won Gold for NZ in the '56 Olympics in Melbourne in the 50km walk. Sometimes he would go walking and I would accompany him jogging just to keep up. He was the fittest man I ever saw. I believe he died in 1994 during a cycle race at Pirongia. he was only 64. He had a gorgeous young Kiwi wife too !