The Race Place

Trotting Cup General Admission

Jasonmc

8 hours ago, Jasonmc said:

$60 (or $49 if before midnight tonight) what exactly do you get for you $60 .

Seems steep just to get in the gate or am i out of the loop with costs?

Listening to the Cup Preview Show they said the GA was lower than expected. 15 000 crowd expected.

1. Addington don't cater for the general public during the rest of the year.

2. Everyone knows it is a day for the social elites.

3. $60? Best to sit at home and use that money to have a bet. Better coverage as I doubt with all those tents etc you would see half the track.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Jasonmc said:

$60 (or $49 if before midnight tonight) what exactly do you get for you $60 .

Seems steep just to get in the gate or am i out of the loop with costs?

Wellington Cup is $50 now as well. I guess the cost of wages etc has increased over the last few years but I’m with you what exactly do you get. 

And racebooks were $10 each. 

A tenner! 

Not sure how much the booze, chips and hot dogs were going for. I have no doubt they would have been reasonably priced, and represented excellent value for money lol

The rate of inflation, cost of living crisis etc have been in the headlines in recent times. I often think some places hike their prices up on things  just because they can. And if questioned, they just cite rising costs. This is true in many (most?) cases, but some outfits are fricken creaming it. 

Crowd numbers (GA) did look to be down a bit however. The admission price, plus the perceived "value" that one gets from this, would probably have been a factor behind the lower than expected turnout. 

13 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

2. Everyone knows it is a day for the social elites.

Like I said to the Mrs, when we were watching the cleavage, sorry I mean coverage, on the telly this arvo... those hoity-toity snobs are no where to be seen at Addington in the foggy and freezin nights in June. Guess they help prop up the club financially though for the rest of the racing year, so they can have their day out. I'll stop at home and leave them to it, with their $10 racebooks and reasonably priced food and beverages. 

13 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

3. $60? Best to sit at home and use that money to have a bet. Better coverage as I doubt with all those tents etc you would see half the track.

Spot on. For many in the outdoor bucket seats, the horses "disappeared" going round the final bend before the home straight. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, craigos1 said:

Well I thought the coverage on TV was superb.

Yes if I'd been on course I would have had no problem paying a tenner for a racebook.

It is our # 1 raceday of the year afterall.

Good on you, Craig. You are a true blue supporter of racing. Wish there were more like you. 

I go to the races pretty often, more than most. There are not many 'regulars' who I recognise from race meeting to race meeting and there is a distinct lack of a 'racing' public these days.

Race books are free usually, on the odd occasion you pay a gold coin for a fundraiser etc. No problem with that. I just wonder how they can justify $10, especially after paying so much to get in. Maybe that is why HRNZ couldn't be accessed yesterday because so many wanted to see the fields on it (?)

The fact the crowd was down 5000 on a normal Cup Day is a worry, mainly through lower numbers in GA. Maybe the $10 price tag has to cover the cost of producing all the race books but looks like a money making exercise to me and people are just turned off, especially in the economic climate. 

Anyone know how much the drinks were yesterday?