The Race Place

Wow - who knew - Blinkers On!

mardigras

According to Karaka Millions: Jockey’s bold call could prove the bookies wrong - NZ Herald

Blinkers on is one of the best.

"Of all the gear changes in racing, blinkers on the first time tend to have the most dramatic effect and if they turbo-charge Cool N Fast his $7 price could be the best value all night as, laziness aside, he ticks every other box."

Irrespective of what this horse does, blinkers on is a crock in regards that statement. They rarely result in any difference and any difference is just as likely to be negative as positive. But reporting like this makes punters believe it.

Must be that the NZ trainers are simply better than those in other parts of the world. So quick to apply headgear. Yet trainers in the UK etc tend to not do so. Who knows if we're breeding this negative aspect into our horses, flighty, mentally unstable horses due to how they are trained as racehorses.

And even though I hate stats, here is one.

On average, around 1 in 10 horses appearing on a racetrack win. (based on around 10 starters per race).

Around 1 in 13 horses with blinkers on first time appearing on a racetrack win. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mardigras said:

And even though I hate stats, here is one.

On average, around 1 in 10 horses appearing on a racetrack win. (based on around 10 starters per race).

Around 1 in 13 horses with blinkers on first time appearing on a racetrack win. 

What about blinkers off?

16 minutes ago, mardigras said:

"Of all the gear changes in racing, blinkers on the first time tend to have the most dramatic effect and if they turbo-charge Cool N Fast his $7 price could be the best value all night as, laziness aside, he ticks every other box."

That's the sort of nil and fallacious comment I'd expect from someone like Guerin. All helps distort markets though. I like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJB said:

You should look at the stats over the years when TA apply blinkers first time in the KM and see the results...just saying.

Rather than me look at them all, can you provide them. Start from whenever but as a guide, 2018, 2 runners from TA started with blinkers on first time and neither won. And in 2019, 1 with blinkers on first time from Te Akau, didn't win.

Had a quick look at 2016 race. Not Te Akau but trainers like Pike, Liam Birchley, Gibbs, Logan, Kelso - 5 runners with blinkers on first time - results 6,7,12,13,14 out if 14.

Must be just an aberration.

Edited by mardigras

Had a look at 2020 - no TA runners with blinkers on first time.

2021, one runner with blinkers on first time. Didn't win.

2022 winner with an SP of 2.60 from 2 runners

2023 one runner with blinkers on first time, didn't win.

also 2017 winner Melody Belle - a superstar horse who never ran without blinkers again.

So Jamie Richards managed to get a hotpot and a superstar home. And also a last placing with blinkers on first time. Certainly looks conclusive. Get on!

Edited by mardigras

actually it was more the use of a tongue tie...my mistake...whenever this was applied it was always nearly successful...FWIW I do not believe Cool and smart is going that well from all reports...maybe a risk anyway...JMHO.