The Race Place

Auckland Cup - Roger That

TooFast

I've really struggled getting my head around 'Roger That' winning the Auckland Cup.

To my mind should have been paying $100+.

Well-beaten in lower-grade affairs over the past 12 months, what form it's had in its career has been wet-track form (as you'd expect from a Shinko King), hard-ridden and covered plenty of extra from a draw that was either the widest or next-to-widest, just defies my comprehension that it won our premier staying race. 

Would knock anyone's confidence.

Mind you there is precedence with another horse battling away and regularly beaten in low-grade affairs,  Polzeath , coming out and winning another  big 'go' recently.

I think I'd better stick to the sprinters/milers. Less confusing. ☺️

1 hour ago, TooFast said:

I've really struggled getting my head around 'Roger That' winning the Auckland Cup.

Well-beaten in lower-grade affairs over the past 12 months, what form it's had in its career has been wet-track form (as you'd expect from a Shinko King), hard-ridden and covered plenty of extra from a draw that was either the widest or next-to-widest, just defies my comprehension that it won our premier staying race. 

Mind you there is precedence with another horse battling away and regularly beaten in low-grade affairs,  Polzeath , coming out and winning another  big 'go' recently.

Funny things happen when they step up to the 3200m or 2400m for 3 year olds, and lots of hardcore staying blood in his pedigree

19 hours ago, TooFast said:

Howie, in response

Widest draw(17), but allowed to slowly ease up to a reasonable position, first bend doesn't start for about 400m from the 3200m start.  3 wide coming down the straight the first time, but eased in to 2 wide as they go into the bend....so not too much extra ground covered, and allowed to settle early on, not like the tearaway leaders

Plenty of staying blood in the pedigree

Previous starts, 2nd in the Kaimai Stakes)Listed), then back in Nov, 5th in the Counties Cup and 2nd in the OMF Stakes, both Group 3 and on G3 tracks.

Did I back it, NO, but I did pick it once as part of our common picks in PJ's comps.

Be fair to say, if anyone had of done enough study, they might have just considered it a chance

The thing that surprised me most, was how surprised George Simon was

• Like 1

I note that in 1888 the Cup was moved from its traditional Boxing Day slot(1887), to New Years Day.  The move proved so unpopular, that it was moved back, so in 1888, two Auckland Cups were run.

Pennies from heaven, that such sense could prevail today, and the Cup was moved back to NYD

• Like 1