The Race Place

Aus racing Sunday

Hesi

8 meetings, 65 races, 1.75 million in stakes, only 2 of those meetings what you could call NZ level meetings.

27k/race on average, now wouldn't most in the industry here, kill for that

Great if you are a punter, just a lot of getting up to speed, if you were NZ racing focussed

Or - have NZ continue as a breeding ground. Export horses to various places. Have the TAB operate and put money into the government funds and inject some funds into investment that will help the overall country. (apologies to those racing participants for such a notion).

If Aus can run 8 meetings on a Sun, at average 27K per race, in all sorts of places I've never even heard of, then surely just a natural progression to let them run it all in NZ.

Freda would be beside herself at the thought of meetings everyday for an average of 27K

Just now, Hesi said:

If Aus can run 8 meetings on a Sun, at average 27K per race, in all sorts of places I've never even heard of, then surely just a natural progression to let them run it all in NZ.

Freda would be beside herself at the thought of meetings everyday for an average of 27K

The money still has to come from somewhere. Are they going to reduce the share for the current set of meetings to boost NZ? Most of the meetings today are in towns as big as places like our bigger towns - or as big as places like Palmerston North or Tauranga, population wise. Only Terang is very small like a place like Woodville.

27 minutes ago, mardigras said:

The money still has to come from somewhere. Are they going to reduce the share for the current set of meetings to boost NZ? Most of the meetings today are in towns as big as places like our bigger towns - or as big as places like Palmerston North or Tauranga, population wise. Only Terang is very small like a place like Woodville.

I guess what I was getting at, is everywhere in Aus, they find the money, and mainly money 3-4 times better than us.  I presume it is real money, unlike ours, so why not just let them extend the situation to NZ

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

I guess what I was getting at, is everywhere in Aus, they find the money, and mainly money 3-4 times better than us.  I presume it is real money, unlike ours, so why not just let them extend the situation to NZ

I think the money is based on the earnings (within reason). They separate the levels based on what the levels earn. It's a model NZ hasn't followed or tried to follow for more than 20 years.

Well they should just incorporate all the NZ racing into their model, if it means stakes at 3-4 times the current level

If you take a meeting like Terang, and it earns its way at the stake level applied, then why could that not happen for NZ races handled by Aus.

The big question mark being, would Aussies take to betting on NZ races.  They seem to take to betting on Aus races in all sorts of obscure locations, at a level that justifies the stakes at 3-4 times that we have

8 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Well they should just incorporate all the NZ racing into their model, if it means stakes at 3-4 times the current level

If you take a meeting like Terang, and it earns its way at the stake level applied, then why could that not happen for NZ races handled by Aus.

The big question mark being, would Aussies take to betting on NZ races.  They seem to take to betting on Aus races in all sorts of obscure locations, at a level that justifies the stakes at 3-4 times that we have

Off course they operate betting on NZ races already. But people in Australia live in those states where those races occur. And many are quite parochial and supportive of their own regions. Less to learn about the horses etc, timezone issues. Not saying they couldn't make things better here, I guess that is one avenue of selling the TAB off to a provide already providing NZ racing to Australia, you'd probably want to get agreement around profit share including the betting done through that provider on NZ racing (from Australian customers as well).

28 minutes ago, Hesi said:

I’m thinking you haven’t been to Oz since at least the turn of the Century 

There are plenty expats that bet on NZ racing in Australia, when the Warriors play on the Goldie there are 10k Warriors fans to 5k titans fans, imagine if the Warriors were any good the stadium would be a sellout

I’m missing NZ racing

The big Q at the minute is the WA tab is for sale, could we eventually see a single TAB, big issue is  for the greedy states how do we split up the pie🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

14 minutes ago, VC! said:

I’m thinking you haven’t been to Oz since at least the turn of the Century 

There are plenty expats that bet on NZ racing in Australia, when the Warriors play on the Goldie there are 10k Warriors fans to 5k titans fans, imagine if the Warriors were any good the stadium would be a sellout

I’m missing NZ racing

The big Q at the minute is the WA tab is for sale, could we eventually see a single TAB, big issue is  for the greedy states how do we split up the pie🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Well that is good to hear Ian, I think last time was 94