The Race Place

New Season 1st January 2022

Double R

With the new racing, and breeding year starting on the 1st of January 2022, I wonder what the impact there will be on the new foals born in 2023, and their development?

Why?

Up until now, with the season being from 1st August until the 31st July, and foals born mainly in the spring, ie. September to December, and foals are initially reared on good spring grass growth, full of goodness. With the racing season now changing, and foals will be born mainly in the height of summer, when grass nutrition will be low, I am not sure if this will have an impact on the how a foal will develop. Someone who has experience with soil and grass might be able to assist.

The breeding season stays the same with the spring foaling - the horses don't turn 1 on the 1st of january so the best bit is Alan Clark won't be able to race his yearling trotters that he races before their actual 2nd birthday

Edited by Enteebee
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Enteebee said:

The breeding season stays the same with the spring foaling - the horses don't turn 1 on the 1st of january so the best bit is Alan Clark won't be able to race his yearling trotters that he races before their actual 2nd birthday

Thanks for that Neil.

So, does that mean horses born now, will turn one on 1st January 2023

I see Alan isn't training his horses currently.

1 hour ago, Enteebee said:

The breeding season stays the same with the spring foaling - the horses don't turn 1 on the 1st of january

Do you think this will mean the Sires Stakes run in a couple of weeks time on Cup day , will be run for 2 year olds in another 2 years time?

I guess they can have a 2 yearold and a three year olds division races on Cup day. Would be excellent.

Anyone know if AKUTA is running this year in Sires Stakes ? or is Mark just winning it with Franco Indie ,instead of his own horse. (he is part owner of Akuta with Cullens) 

4 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Do you think this will mean the Sires Stakes run in a couple of weeks time on Cup day , will be run for 2 year olds in another 2 years time?

I guess they can have a 2 yearold and a three year olds division races on Cup day. Would be excellent.

Anyone know if AKUTA is running this year in Sires Stakes ? or is Mark just winning it with Franco Indie ,instead of his own horse. (he is part owner of Akuta with Cullens) 

Hi Blue.

Good question, and one that I have no idea of the answer.

I have a feeling when the plan is revealed this week, the Jewels will be gone, so a totally revamping of all racing.

Cheers.

Robert.

• Like 1

Akuta unlikely to race till February

17 August 2021 , News

akuta-addington-blog-image-v2__ResizedIm

By Michael Guerin

The new pin-up boy of pacing Akuta is likely to miss the rest of this year as one of the first major absentees caused by the new realignment of the racing season.

Akuta was breathtaking coming from last to obliterate his rivals by 10 lengths in the McMillan Equine Feeds at the Harness Jewels at Cambridge in June, a performance that has many anointing him as harness racing's next superstar.

That star will almost certainly not be shining at Addington on New Zealand Cup day though as Akuta is going to miss the Sires’ Stakes to be given time to prepare for a busier than usual 2022.

“He is a big horse and with the seasons changing we didn’t want to rush him back for only one big race in the next few months,” says trainer Hayden Cullen.

“We are still firming up that decision but I am sure we will give him time so you won’t be seeing him in the Sires’ Stakes unless something changes.”

Akuta was as short as $1.40 to win that Sires’ Stakes before the market was suspended on Monday and when it re-opened there were huge changes as not only does Akuta look set to miss the Sires’ Stakes but second favourite Cosmic Major, the only horse to have beaten Akuta in five starts, will also not be in the Sires’ Stakes as he suffered an injury that will put him out until next year.

That saw Willow Bay the new $4 favourite over Franco Indie at $4.50 and Major Perry at $5 in a very open market.

Akuta is the first high profile pacer to have his plans changed by the massive changes unfolding in harness racing that could see huge changes to the carnivals.

Harness Racing New Zealand have moved the official birthday of NZ-bred standardbred (harness) horses to January 1 to bring it in line with Australia and are now going through planning and workshops on what that will mean for the racing calendar but there is already one major change confirmed.

That is the new Harness Millions meeting at Alexandra Park on February 12 to highlight yearling sales week and it will now be Akuta’s first big target, a huge win for the inaugural meeting.

All the changes won’t really affect New Zealand Cup week at Addington with the iconic open class pacing and trotting races to still go ahead and as much as purists would love to see Akuta in the Sires’ Stakes his absence could convince more northern trainers to make the trip south.

The other major change being tipped for the realignment of the racing programmes is moving the Auckland Cup to May but these decisions are still to be confirmed by HRNZ and the clubs involved.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, craigos1 said:

Akuta is not expected to run until the New Year

Thank -you for posting that article Craigos !

Was very interesting , regarding races and Akuta's programs. 

Mark and Hayden have the opportunity to put harness racing 'Back on the Map' with their superstar. I think he could be the next LAZARUS imo. 

All the clubs and media need to Beat it Up when he does appear to promote the sport, and catch the public attention like Verry Elleegant/ Melody Belle at the gallops would.

People used to flock to see Cardy, Young Quinn, Delightful Lady, Terror to Love, Courage Under Fire,..........

and not so sure with LAZARUS , as Mark's had that many good ones past few years lol.......... AKUTA has the potential to be the best of the lot.

• Like 1

Think what Double R is referring to is the grass & nutritional value of it, the difference in time of year, which makes a good point 👍

The only thing Iv ever heard was a convo between horse people talking about how there was or used to be negative thought towards late foals because of the age thing & season started 1 Aug.

One saying the positive about those last late foals is the weather is so much nicer & less chance of them succumbing to sickness or death from harsh winters that earlier foals maybe born into. I thought that was a good point too.

No idea re grass value, BUT def a good point as their is less of it around summer. 

Edited by karrotsishere

11 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Think what Double R is referring to is the grass & nutritional value of it, the difference in time of year, which makes a good point 👍

The only thing Iv ever heard was a convo between horse people talking about how there was or used to be negative thought towards late foals because of the age thing & season started 1 Aug.

One saying the positive about those last late foals is the weather is so much nicer & less chance of them succumbing to sickness or death from harsh winters that earlier foals maybe born into. I thought that was a good point too.

No idea re grass value, BUT def a good point as their is less of it around summer. 

Hi Karrots.

I have had clarification from Neil(Enteebee) earlier in this thread, that the breeding season isn't changing, so foals will still be born, in general before Christmas.

Cheers.

Robert.

• Like 1