The Race Place

Sweet Lou

Royal Nod

Beauty. Thanks for sharing Nod. Was thinking the other day, could see a Lou win the new $500k race in future IF its a mile or 1700 metre race. With their speed. Of course as Globe pointed out pends dam side too. Golly remember when I started a Sweet Lou How Do you do thread on other site & after you & I chatting nicely about sires, breeding etc, it ended in disaster with a big blow up between you & Brodie on Trump lol. I declared you the winner 🥇

Perhaps this thread could be on Sires - any sire results in USA. I don't follow but good to get updates. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

ended in disaster with a big blow up between you & Brodie on Trump lol. I declared you the winner 🥇

Lol,  Hard to believe people are so gullible to believe Trump  won just because he said so.   But enough about that will stick to Sires in future posts on this thread

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Royal Nod said:

Two big Trot races today, one for $130k & other $180k both won by top 2 year old sire Walner.  He is killing it with his first crop

Anthony McDonald supplemented Threepointbluechip into the colts and geldings race at a cost of $20k - great result to win it

• Like 1

Yeah remember trotter sire Walner you mentioned when we were having our chin-way & how amazing he is doing. Hadn't heard of him prior. Then not long ago read something about him being TOP something. So yeah sounds like he is kicking goals in a big way over there. Wonder how long it will be til he is available here ...Thanks for the updates. This is great. The go-to place for 1 stop shop, thread on USA sires performers, 1 on Aussie Kiwi raiders & another on Q & A & weekly updates hehe.

Saw Woodlands announced Lou has followed in the footsteps of Downbytheseaside & is now also fully booked & closed in Aus.

On 11/5/2021 at 9:29 AM, karrotsishere said:

I started a Sweet Lou

Will be a great day when you do Karrots !! . One of your favs (a Sweet Lou gelding) today WON a heat of the 2 year old Breeders Crown !!! Charlene Guzman trained HES CHARLIES ANGEL. named after her late father.

There were 7 Heats today for the 2 year olds . NZer Nathan Purdon winning one with kiwi bred 'Amore Vita' and a close 2nd with kiwi bred 'A Bettor You'. 

EMMA STEWART winning 4 heats and with an incredible 11 'more' horses placing in the TOP 4  !!!!, So 15 out of her 21 TWO year olds today were in the top 4 in very quick, very high quality races. astounding effort.!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

Will be a great day when you do Karrots !! . One of your favs (a Sweet Lou gelding) today WON a heat of the 2 year old Breeders Crown !!! Charlene Guzman trained HES CHARLIES ANGEL. named after her late father.

There were 7 Heats today for the 2 year olds . NZer Nathan Purdon winning one with kiwi bred 'Amore Vita' and a close 2nd with kiwi bred 'A Bettor You'. 

EMMA STEWART winning 4 heats and with an incredible 11 'more' horses placing in the TOP 4  !!!!, So 15 out of her 21 TWO year olds today were in the top 4 in very quick, very high quality races. astounding effort.!!!!!!

Ok so just watched these replays. Gee He's Charlies Angel did well to hold on after pulling like that most of the race. 

1 question. Seems these heats aren't as strong as the NSW. Must be QLD. Is this my imaingation? Or is this normal/usual for QLD Breeders to be slightly weaker fields Breeders?

53 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Ok so just watched these replays. Gee He's Charlies Angel did well to hold on after pulling like that most of the race. 

1 question. Seems these heats aren't as strong as the NSW. Must be QLD. Is this my imaingation? Or is this normal/usual for QLD Breeders to be slightly weaker fields Breeders?

The Breeders Crown is usually strong every year , and has Strong NZ participacition.

With Covid, not a lot came over this year. Nathan Purdon has BETTOR TWIST and AMERICAN DEALER in the 3 yearold semi's . Won with a 2 year old and another a close second in the 2 year old division too. SO ALL 4 are through to the semi's.

The NSW finals went last week and a QLDer of Grant Dixon won the 150k Final . TIM's A TROOPER. (well done mate Grant !!) he couldn't go because of covid restrictions.

The same horse has missed out in Victoria yesterday as MUCH HARDER. Vic having 10 x more horses (and the marvelous EMMA STEWART) than Qld or NSW for the Breeders.

Emma could nearly get the whole field !!!! in the 3 year old fillies final. It's just gob smacking. !! she uses 10 different drivers too. just Amazing. 

On 11/5/2021 at 12:42 PM, Royal Nod said:

sire Walner.  He is killing it with his first crop

Saw yesterday somewhere but didn't screen shot it, that he had the top average price for trotters in USA for yearlings sold at that recent ish sale. In the same thing saw the average for yearling for Sweet Lou was $150k ish. Couldn't believe it. Bettors average was lower than this. So interesting. Wonder too, if different training methods for different horses based on the sire as Green pointed out re American Ideal Copy That (was worded in press unconventional - Green stated he thinks he has been doing it wrong all this time - less racing is better for him or something). American Idea had his 1st NZ Cup winner. Wonder if that also makes a difference. Seemed to with Copy That. 

On 11/5/2021 at 12:42 PM, Royal Nod said:

Two big Trot races today, one for $130k & other $180k both won by top 2 year old sire Walner.  He is killing it with his first crop

A little mention on this supposedly "boom "sire. Only went to the races 10 times, and while the times were good, and he was fast , does he have a glitch in his makeup with a suspensory injury, curtailing him so young. I only mention this as our own Dark Horse who could have been anything, was prone to these injury's. 

It can get passed down genetically and raise its ugly head at times, and certain breeds in the Thoroughbred industry are known for flaws in the makeup.

Personally, it is good seeing these new sires , but time will tell about their propensity to throw tough, sound, long racing progeny. We seem to be heading for speed , more speed and flash in the pan ,get the money early racing. That is why I love American Ideal, they mature into tough racehorses.

25 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

We seem to be heading for speed , more speed and flash in the pan ,get the money early racing. 

Curious, might be a dopey question. But do you or anyone know what trainers look for in a horse to see if they will be a young gun filly or young gun colt/gelding? At what stage do they know? Maybe, maybe not? I see All Stars a couple of Bettors, 1 Sweet Lou & 1 Art Major yearlings soon to be 2 they are working with atm. Haven't yet checked the females. So wonder what is was that made them work on these 4 to potentially be young guns oppose the others the same age?

50 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

But do you or anyone know what trainers look for in a horse

Well speaking from experience from my son in law who has spent most of his life picking out horses for a particular syndicate at the Karaka sales (thoroughbred), and selling into Hong Kong/Singapore/Australia  it takes a trained eye to pick potentially good ones. Andy never looked at breeding, just confirmation, and while I cant speak for people like Mark Purdon and others in the harness game ,I am sure that they are experienced enough to do the same . Years of working with certain lines , in which the gene pool is smaller than TB,s also influences their decisions imo, coupled with confirmation etc. Can still be a lottery though and I am sure the AS barn used to weed out the ones not showing enough, as they were fiscally able to.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Curious, might be a dopey question. But do you or anyone know what trainers look for in a horse to see if they will be a young gun filly or young gun colt/gelding? At what stage do they know? Maybe, maybe not? I see All Stars a couple of Bettors, 1 Sweet Lou & 1 Art Major yearlings soon to be 2 they are working with atm. Haven't yet checked the females. So wonder what is was that made them work on these 4 to potentially be young guns oppose the others the same age?

I would say All Stars only select yearling  that look like they will  make early to late 2 year olds and train them all up to see what ones have talent.  The 4 you refer to are most likely the ones showing most talent in training.   

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

But do you or anyone know what trainers look for in a horse

I think most top trainers look for a combination of pedigree and conformation.  I remember Katy Perry  by Bettors Delight was knocked down for only about 17K.  The dam had left about 4 of racing age at that stage and nothing very good.    Trainer bought her because she was an athletic type.  

The dam Karen Donna  went on to leave a couple of good ones after her.   Just goes to show, confirmation and overall type  just as important as pedigree.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2021 at 4:26 PM, karrotsishere said:

1 Sweet Lou

With the ex-pat kiwis performing well , the Sweet Lou's might get Aussie interest as in sale price Karrots.

With SpiritOf St Louis winning Interdominion Heats, that makes quite an impression.

AND just now at Newcastle race 1 ,a favourite of Karrots has joined the Power Pacing Jason GRIMSON stable , (they have had an amazing year)

SUGAR APPLE after winning in 1.56 last week first up in Oz, just won his 2nd Oz start, by what looked like 50m roaring along like 'Popular Alm' lol.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

With the ex-pat kiwis performing well , the Sweet Lou's might get Aussie interest as in sale price Karrots.

With SpiritOf St Louis winning Interdominion Heats, that makes quite an impression.

AND just now at Newcastle race 1 ,a favourite of Karrots has joined the Power Pacing Jason GRIMSON stable , (they have had an amazing year)

SUGAR APPLE after winning in 1.56 last week first up in Oz, just won his 2nd Oz start, by what looked like 50m roaring along like 'Popular Alm' lol.

Oh yes, nice update Lightning. Plus Darling Me, starting to like her chances pending draw in Queen of Hearts. Was blocked for a run & bolting in behind to finish close up 3rd tonight in FFA behind NZ Cup winner Copy That. Her full yearling sis Forever Me hits the track tomorrow Puke workouts for Telfers Team. Another good one maybe 😃

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought Id share this with you @Royal Nod - remember when I posted a screen shot of an article Profit was questioning Always B Mikis success, asking the question was he a 1 hit wonder & you came & said otherwise that infact Miki has had success & that was an average or something, but you pointed out other successes. I then said oh maybe the author has it wrong. Here's a screen shot of an article that Profit retracts his questioning re Miki - saying he got it wrong.

Funnily 1 of the questions I gave for Q & A for Profit, which we are still waiting for ... was something along the lines of what do you do if you get it wrong - write a retraction? Here is the answer - yes. 

Any latest USA news on any sire worth sharing?

Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 6.51.51 AM.png

Edited by karrotsishere

35 minutes ago, Royal Nod said:

Grand Circuit finished over there for the season so no news of late.  That Peter Profit site doesn’t seem to be very onto it.  Sounds like a few of their articles are off the mark.

Ok re G Circuit finished. 

Yea re Profit site have noted the odd article now to be inaccurate. Saw a pic of a pp that the author posted on twitter - not sure who's pp it is his or someone else. Wasn't what one was expecting to see - mind you did click on bit that wasn't showing & said this is sensitive lol 🙈🙊 Anyway, Mikes given him a reminder re our Q & A. Speaking of Q&A if you haven't seen the latest PWJ's think you will like, he's into his breeding too like yourself. 

Noted your lil fella is in at workouts today. Nice line-up of horses at South workouts today.