The Race Place

Cromwell

Guest Wilfred

Guest Wilfred

I do wonder if this is one of the untapped areas of growth for gallops racing. Cromwell is at the heart of Central Otago, handy to Queenstown and Wanaka, a roomy course with land for expansion. Plus, best of all there is oodles of money in the region 

Silly question, but I wonder if there are any plans, ideas for the future, to unleash this potential?

No shortage of money in the area, that is for sure

Industry day on Friday, followed by a Feature day on Sun, with $245K in stakes

Unfortunately no general admission

Cromwell Racing In The Vines 2021

We will be unable to have any GA tickets this year. In order to attend the races, you must either have a hospitality ticket, be a member, or a horse owner to attend.

Stunning area, a great meeting, and well patronised.  

However facilities for horses are very ordinary,  stabling is cramped [ a big horse would struggle to turn around ]  yards also tiny, and the paddocks are usually snapped up by those who can get down early before everyone else.  So that needs to be addressed.

In previous times, Omakau was held in conjunction with Cromwell, and therefore some horses could have stayed there.  Only a short distance away.

But, meetings get scrubbed with no thought as to the knock-on effects.

Guest Wilfred

After watching and enjoying the racing at Cromwell, it just reinforces my view that this could be a future growth area, matching the current economic surge. And the gorgeous hills of Central Otago... nothing better.

1 hour ago, Wilfred said:

After watching and enjoying the racing at Cromwell, it just reinforces my view that this could be a future growth area, matching the current economic surge. And the gorgeous hills of Central Otago... nothing better.

I agree with you Wilfred however , trainer base is zero and whilst they had a really good crowd today even without general admission , a lot of Companies have there Xmas functions today.

It is an awesome venue where horses get there chances , but I don't think more meetings would necessarily help Otago racing.

The Harness meeting in early January is also well attended.

Guest Wilfred

I wonder if anything will help Otago racing. Where's the vision, ideas, passion to make things happen? Or should Otago racing go the way of South Island jumps racing?