The Race Place

Drones

Hesi

I don't mean some of the people that can tend to drone on, on these chat forums, but the ones that fly.

My son loves his gadgets, and he has just bought one for his work.  It is the season of haymaking and he does 30-50 acres per day, cutting the grass.

He can program the drone to follow the tractor, say 20 m ahead, at a fixed height, to warn him of any obstacles coming up etc etc

Forgot to mention the drone has a camera that videos everything, and he has a screen in the cab.

He can also set the drone on auto to do a flyby circular video, with a central focus point, download the video etc

If the drone's battery is dropping below a certain level, it auto returns to the controller

If the signal is getting low, it also returns, although he had it a mile away from home, looking at farmland, at 75 m height

All amazing technology, and done through GPS

With regard to racing, could they not be used in racing, to add a different angle to the normal camera views.  I think they do this at Riccarton and in Aus.  Could they not also be used as a stipendary tool.  The drone can be programmed to follow the race at a set height

• Like 2

Are you taking the piss lol

But it's about time racing got a lot more innovative.  The only new things I can think of is, twilight racing, Xmas at the races and the drone at Riccarton.  Not a lot of difference in watching a horse race in the 1970's and now.

Compare this with cricket in the 70's to cricket now.  So many new innovations in the way the game is played and presented. 

The technology is available

Counties is history, with the new amalgamation at Ellerslie, a training track?

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Are you taking the piss lol

But it's about time racing got a lot more innovative.  The only new things I can think of is, twilight racing, Xmas at the races and the drone at Riccarton.  Not a lot of difference in watching a horse race in the 1970's and now.

Compare this with cricket in the 70's to cricket now.  So many new innovations in the way the game is played and presented. 

The technology is available

Counties is history, with the new amalgamation at Ellerslie, a training track?

No I'm serious with electric racing. After all its compatible i.e. no noise.

I know racing clubs organise golf tournaments but its something that could be exploited a bit further. e.g. a Friday tournament with the top four coming to the races Saturday and square of somehow in the middle of the track for a decent prize.

• 3 weeks later...

Even the Great Gadsby is onboard with drones

I was always a fan also of the GPS stuff to work out total distances covered

poundforpound

Posted 12 minutes ago

We can make some very basic changes that don’t cost a lot of money, but will add huge value and incentivize betting ….which in turn leads to increased revenue 

1. make some savings across the RIB / JCA / NZ Racing Lab…..14 Million and climbing per annum is too much to pay for what the three deliver, or don’t deliver actually 

Invest those savings into enhanced media technology 

2.Give us some stats and data to make a point of difference 

Eg give us the weight of each horse as it enters the birdcage with a plus or minus on the “rolling average” of what weight it has been running at 

3. Put GPS technology in every saddle cloth so that we can see how much distance each horse covered in each start, and where it should have finished if the field was “adjusted” to meters covered in a specific xxxx time

4. Involve drones following horses, the technology is everywhere, skiing, surfing, climbing, it’s very safe and easily made safer, but hardly used in racing 

There should be drones offset to the side, above, and behind the field while running,  and you could even make a case for allowing punters to switch their viewing to the drone of their choice in the run

4. Give us the opportunity to lay horses…it’s a massive market but totally untapped in NZ 

There we go, thank me later team 

Purchased some shares in a Drone company on the NYSE.AgEagle Aerial Systems Inc.Had been around the $17 mark before i purchased them,got in at $1.73.Now trading at $1.57.

Waiting paitiently for them to be awarded a Defence Dept contract or to enhance their position with Amazon.

Not a registered Financial Advisor.

Edited by ngakonui grass