Jump to content
The Race Place

D Butt and that Whip


Addington
 Share

Recommended Posts

Race 4 D Butt (MASTERLY)
[Rule 869(2) and Whip & Rein Regs] - Used whip free of the rein and with more than a wrist flicking motion. Fined $500.

 

Fined probably twice his driving fee but does he not watch races anymore given new whip  rules have been around for some time. Arrives back in birdcage and throws his whip away  in full view of everyone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Addington said:
Race 4 D Butt (MASTERLY)
[Rule 869(2) and Whip & Rein Regs] - Used whip free of the rein and with more than a wrist flicking motion. Fined $500.

 

Arrives back in birdcage and throws his whip away  in full view of everyone. 

Was he signaling he no longer needs it?

Gem of a drive if it was his last.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was just learning David Butt was NZ's leading trainer a few times early this century (training in partnership with wife Catherine) How good are they then??

3 or 4 NZ Trainers Premiership wins (Catherine the first female to ever top the list) until about 13 years ago when Marky boy teamed up with Grant Payne (and then Nat) to dominate from then on. But what a terrific effort and record for David and Catherine.

To be leading the nation he must be fantastic horseman , there was a bit more whip driving in those days . would be hard to adjust your style in your later years I spose.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Was just learning David Butt was NZ's leading trainer a few times early this century (training in partnership with wife Catherine) How good are they then??

3 or 4 NZ Trainers Premiership wins (Catherine the first female to ever top the list) until about 13 years ago when Marky boy teamed up with Grant Payne (and then Nat) to dominate from then on. But what a terrific effort and record for David and Catherine.

To be leading the nation he must be fantastic horseman , there was a bit more whip driving in those days . would be hard to adjust your style in your later years I spose.

That coincided with their move to Woodend beach. Had 3 barns going 1 being breakers/pre- trainers and the other 2 racing or near racing. Employed lots of staff whilst at the same time buying up some nice parcels of land out that way

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Find Mango gets pinged often. Recently was pinged yet again. It's funny, but not funny if you know what I mean. Just because of the amount of times he gets pinged.

Think he was recently suspended for it. 

Yeah see he's currently out atm. The pattern has been something like this. In, then out, or a fine, then 2-3 meetings later rinse & repeat. Its quite funny just because its like oh my golly gumdrops not again 😲😬😂

Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 1.59.42 PM.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is the decision on it. Thought it was a lil interesting so thought would share it.

Stipendiary Steward, Mr Williams used available video footage to demonstrate the breach. Mr Williams, through use of the video footage, showed Mr Butt use his whip free of the rein on seven occasions and subsequently with more than a wrist flicking motion on four occasions in the home straight. Mr Williams pointed to Ms Ottley yelling at Mr Butt and said Ms Ottley was yelling to Mr Butt to correct his whipping action. Mr Butt accepted that she yelled at him to correct what he was doing.

Mr Butt frankly accepted the non-compliant seven strikes free of the rein. He said he has not driven much under this new Rule, he said when Ms Ottley yelled at him it reminded him and he adjusted the movement. He further accepted that the further four strikes could be considered more than a wrist flicking action, however, they were much closer to a compliant style.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Yeah see he's currently out atm. The pattern has been something like this. In, then out, or a fine, then 2-3 meetings later rinse & repeat. Its quite funny just because its like oh my golly gumdrops not again 😲😬😂

Here is Mangos, not quite as bad as 2-3 meetings lol then rinse repeat. But by write up its up there, as being 'abysmal'

REASON FOR PENALTY:

Mr Mangos has an abysmal record where improper whip use is concerned. This breach is his 9th since 1 October 2020 when Penalties and Whip Use Regulations were amended. He has also been warned for his whip use a number of times. In assessing a penalty for this breach, the Adjudicator has taken Mr Mangos’ overall record into consideration, such record being an ‘aggravating factor’. His last breach – 30 July 2021 – was within the 6 month period and attracted a 4 day suspension.

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Boxseat confirmed it was D Butts last ever drive. That he wanted to go out on a winning note. They paid a kind of tribute to his driving & how he is a wonderful guy & was an excellent driver etc. They had a laugh at how he got pinged for $500 by Stewards (just as it was his last ever drive).

So thats the story behind that.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...