The Race Place

Kaikoura Horse Neglect Story

Happy Sunrise

So here is the next follow up story about it.

It is a shame that HRNZ leadership don't use it as an opportunity to remind licence holders they are there to help if they are struggling with their horses or know of situations where intervention may be necessary. Maybe another reminder about the welfare services they have contracted for participants in the industry.

Hard to believe nobody saw the state of these horses before they were mostly rescued.

Pretty sad. 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/130793062/fifteen-horses-too-dangerous-to-handle-euthanised-after-being-seized-from-racing-breeder

• Sad 2

Murray Boyd. Hang your head in shame. 

How bloody sickening. Poor horses.

And the height of arrogance, by blatantly breaching the Enforcement Order from the Court! 

Good work MPI, for obtaining the Enforcement Order, well done. They take a bit of time and effort to get issued those things. Sufficient evidence would have had to have been gathered before applying for the Enforcement Order, so good on MPI for being reponsive here. It's one pleasing aspect to see out of all of this mess. 

Gazza, how is that "Code of Conduct" working out mate?

Come out and show some leadership please. Don't worry about a bloody Christmas ham recipe this year. Stick to your knitting. 

8 hours ago, Rusty said:

Murray Boyd. Hang your head in shame. 

I don't think there are many out there who would willingly do this to horses so maybe there are other issues at hand for Mr Boyd.

8 hours ago, Rusty said:

"Code of Conduct"

The Treaty of Waitangi, The Munich Agreement of 1938, 2015 Paris Climate Change Agreement, HRNZ Code of Conduct....need I say more....

8 hours ago, Rusty said:

Come out and show some leadership please. Don't worry about a bloody Christmas ham recipe this year. Stick to your knitting. 

Addington and Cambridge seem to be the only big ones who have any clue, HRNZ and ATC have no idea. Braid Reid's latest article on Harnesslink shows they do whatever they want, anyway they want. 

On a brighter note, the summer holiday racing on the coast and central will be fun. I wonder if we will get the slog in the wet again that we had last year at Westport. There is something entralling about horses racing closer to the outside rail than the inside one. 

This is in the Rules of Racing for thoroughbreds with respect to animal cruelty

(3) A Licence shall not be issued to any person:

(f) who NZTR considers to be unsuitable to hold a Licence for reasons of integrity, competence, animal welfare issues or otherwise (including, without limitation, reasons relating to the applicant’s financial circumstances). [Amended 1 May 2015] [Amended 1 September 2020]

45 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I don't think there are many out there who would willingly do this to horses so maybe there are other issues at hand for Mr Boyd.

Possibly so, but breaching a Court issued order is very serious in itself.

I hope Murray Boyd has a good support network in place, and wish him well for the future, but he's going to have to try and get things back on track very quickly. No pun intended. 

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 1