The Race Place

Trentham today

Hesi

It seemed like with most races, once you hit the lead at the top of the straight, you pretty much won, and 450m is a long way.  Why is that?

Festivity, Fibonacci, Peloton(almost), Credit Manager, Showbeel, He No Opilio, The Mitigator, Solsefei.

The only exceptions, were the 4th best horse in NZ, Avantage and Original Gangster

9 hours ago, Hesi said:

It seemed like with most races, once you hit the lead at the top of the straight, you pretty much won, and 450m is a long way.  Why is that?

Festivity, Fibonacci, Peloton(almost), Credit Manager, Showbeel, He No Opilio, The Mitigator, Solsefei.

The only exceptions, were the 4th best horse in NZ, Avantage and Original Gangster

Maybe the horses that hit the lead at the top of the straight were the best horses in the race for the mostpart?

• Like 1

4th best horse in NZ, Avantage

..which doesn't say much for our top sprinters really. Avantage was clearly not at her best in the early spring (easily beaten by Hello It's Me over 1200m at Ruakaka) and when tried in Oz Avantage didn't measure up to their best. The fact that Enzo's Lad nearly did the unthinkable with his big weight - and neither Julius nor Endless Drama offered much yesterday -  shows how few really smart sprinters we've produced in the last two or three years. I think the Riccarton/Trentham type of course suits some horses better than others; perhaps Avantage is better  left handed than right, so they might look to Victoria for her (or Perth eventually ??) rather than Sydney. 

The race was WFA so they all effectively carried the same weight. 

Advantage performed pretty well in Sydney last autumn so I don’t really think that right handed is a problem. 

Enzo’s Lad was mighty I thought. He is obviously a great straight track runner. 

Once again the Railway winner was a disappointment. It’s now a couple of decades (?) since one horse took out the two races in the same year I think.