The Race Place

Ohoka Connor - How good is he really?

Happy Sunrise

He seems like the real deal, but is he? I haven't seen (or can't remember) a pacer coming up the ranks like this who hasn't been part of the 2 or 3-year-old elite racing for a while.

If you could put him in the market for the Sire Stakes Final, where would he be? 3rd to Merlin and Don't Stop Dreaming? At the top? Split favouritism with the 2 top ones? Down the ranks a bit with Captain Tom since he hasn't raced the gun 3-year-olds yet? Or not even on the radar for you yet?

Talented family going back to Smarty Pants and Kincaid who used to run for third behind Tuapeka Knight and Starship if my memory is right.

image.png.f614c14e0be93f00871e51b187b0177b.png

He is an absolute beast Happy, with an enormous motor. Watch some of his wins. Addington, sits 3 wide for half a lap and in the breeze for the rest and wins. He isn't quick off the arm but jeepers he just keeps going. Times are pretty good as well considering the work he has to do in some of his wins. I would rate him potentially a bettor horse than the top ones at the moment. I remember Starship was the hot pot early on until the day Tuapeka Knight blew him off the park. 

I can see a repeat here. Hope so. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

I remember Starship was the hot pot early on until the day Tuapeka Knight blew him off the park.

Starship was an absolute marvel.

Despite being bridesmaid in 8 quinellas, all to Tuapeka Knight,  He still managed to win 5 races as a 2yo.

Won 4 as a 3yo including 2 on grass over 3200m

2nd in NZ Cup as a 6yo

3rd in Westport Cup (off 90m) as a 7yo and a matter of days later 2nd in the Auckland Cup

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow this horse looks the goods.  Go Okoha Connor. There is a horse in North. Yet to be unleashed. Massive 400 metre high speed. Up there I hear based on speed alone with Merlin & Don't Dream Stop Dreaming.  However prob be sold off to Aussie.

Spirit by the way never contested any young age group races. But has ended up being the open class age group goods.

Edited by karrotsishere

13 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Wow this horse looks the goods.  Go Okoha Connor. There is a horse in North. Yet to be unleashed. Massive 400 metre high speed. Up there I hear based on speed alone with Merlin & Don't Dream Stop Dreaming.  However prob be sold off to Aussie.

Spirit by the way never contested any young age group races. But has ended up being the open class age group goods.

Re-reading this thread & correction, not same age. Muddled up with change of season.

Edited by karrotsishere