The Race Place

Manchester City Football Club...

Steve Paul

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 8:26 PM, Say No More said:

Not sure whether to be more upset with the Liverpool dig or Rees' use of "could of" rather than "could have" 🙂

Get on Everton for top 4 before the season starts Steve as they have a very nice schedule to start the season - only two of the big 6 in their first 14 games.   Then lay them at the start of December because their first four games in December are against big 6 teams.

Who cares!!. Dig all you like. Any other Chelsea supporters out there........................................ NO DIDNT THINK SO.:classic_blink:

God its lonely here.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 5:53 AM, Steve Paul said:

Wow...before I was born and I'm old!

When football was football

Whats wrong with football.doc  Not very PC, please do not read if easily offended!

After I was born, but it's great to have company Brian. Reason being they had dark blue shirts like we had at Miramar Rangers. The innocence  of youth. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2019 at 8:37 AM, Steve Paul said:

Just watched the mid table clash of United and Arsenal - both very poor - will either manager still be employed post January?

Ole will be gone by then. They were dismal.  Arsenal are a Jekyll and Hyde team at the moment but with 3 of their 4 regular defenders absent I think Emery will only be judged how they perform when the backline is restored to first choice players. How did that linesman think Aubameyang was offside ???

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

City seem to have reached that tipping point that most great sides reach when they have listened too long to everyone telling them how great they are and they simply turn up believing they will win. Their tactics have been found out and their defensive woes have worsened with pep unable to decide on a permanent back 4 that can be trusted. As a result the confidence of Stones, Walker, Otamendi, Mendy etc. looks eroded. Fernandinho is NOT a centre-back by any stretch, Cancelo wonders why the hell City spent all that money on him and Angelino is about Championship level. Not replacing Kompany was Guardiola's biggest mistake. But for de Bruyne they would be lucky to be top 6 right now. 

Liverpool, whose squad depth is not great (although probably better than many believe) show what a great coach who can imbue a galvanizing spirit can do. Klopp has actually improved the personal performance of at least a dozen players at Liverpool but more importantly has created a unified group whose self-belief is the key to their success. This is evidenced by achieving wins so many times this season especially late in the game from difficult positions. They simply wear opposition sides down with their determination and belief.

Pep needs to spend the rest of the season re-building or plan his exit. The return of Sane, the integration of Foden, the phasing-out of David Silva all need to be achieved in the next few months. Possibly even replacing his No.1 keeper, as Ederson's attitude grows more casual each month.

It's a great EPL season though. Leicester and Chelsea are a great watch, Man U are Jekyll and Hyde and West ham even more so while my beloved Arsenal are at the rock-bottom of their cycle, they desperately need a new, charismatic boss with a grip on tactics in the EPL and can inspire his team. Freddie is simply not fit. A big name might be hard to attract (Simeone) but I would even give Arteta a great chance as sitting next to Pep he can visualize all the issues I mentioned above first-hand at City.

• 7 months later...

Haven't the Champions League Quarter Finals been riveting viewing.

Paris St. Germain behind in the 89th minute win 2-1

Athletico Madrid (team I support in La Liga) equalise then let in an own goal lose 1-2

Barcelona thumped 😄

Man City lose 1-3 when should have been 2-2 extra time?...how the hell did Raheem Stirling miss!

Edited by craigos1

On 8/16/2020 at 9:44 AM, VvD said:

Seems like an age ago this post Steve.   I guess City added the Carabao Cup to the Community Shield but not quite the haul they might have hoped for.

Another bit of VAR controversy this morning, but I did enjoy seeing Sterling miss an open goal to level it up and then Ederson ........

The good thing - not long to wait until the next season now and City get a week of rest they might not have been expecting.

Yes, very disapointing season on the whole from a City perpective.

However, as PJ stated above, some of the football this season has been sublime, Bayern decimating Barca' probably the pick of it all.

And City's season probably means Pep' will now stay ,don't think his ego will allow him to leave at the moment.

Really looking forward to next season, good to see Leeds back, used to love going to Elland Road, despite some really 'interesting' experiences there!!

• Like 1