The Race Place

Glenda Hughes is the new CEO of NZ Greyhounds

Buller Rep

A temporary role

She is a tough nut and knows the ropes, so probably employed by GRNZ to try and make sure greyhounds get their share of the pie.

If you recall, the Messara report didn't have anything much to say about greyhounds.

GRNZ Submission on the Messara Report

GRNZ proposes incremental funding be based not on the 25% + 25% + 50% formula, but rather, 100% of code contribution to NZRB profitability from both domestic and international wagering - which equates to:

● Thoroughbred Racing 59.9%

● Harness Racing 20.3%

● Greyhound Racing 19.8%

That's quite a bit more than the average 16% they have received over the last 5 years

25 minutes ago, Hesi said:

A temporary role

She is a tough nut and knows the ropes, so probably employed by GRNZ to try and make sure greyhounds get their share of the pie.

If you recall, the Messara report didn't have anything much to say about greyhounds.

GRNZ Submission on the Messara Report

GRNZ proposes incremental funding be based not on the 25% + 25% + 50% formula, but rather, 100% of code contribution to NZRB profitability from both domestic and international wagering - which equates to:

● Thoroughbred Racing 59.9%

● Harness Racing 20.3%

● Greyhound Racing 19.8%

That's quite a bit more than the average 16% they have received over the last 5 years

I think they should get things based on local code profitability and share in any profits from elsewhere on that basis. Given thoroughbreds has no profit locally, they may not like that however since that would give them none of the profits generated elsewhere. 🙂 

On 7/19/2019 at 3:18 PM, Maximus said:

i note it is an interim position...based on her performance overseeing governance of NZRB for the past six years, I don't see her ongoing involvement as a good thing for the industry.

Your last sentence....I don’t see her ongoing involvement as a good thing for the industry. 

Which Industry? 

Personally I don’t see it as a good thing for either Thoroughbreds or Greyhounds, but especially thoroughbreds and I bet that the Standardbred people feel the same. 😢

Edited by Buller Rep

1 hour ago, Buller Rep said:

Your last sentence....I don’t see her ongoing involvement as a good thing for the industry. 

Which Industry? 

Personally I don’t see it as a good thing for either Thoroughbreds or Greyhounds, but especially thoroughbreds and I bet that the Standardbred people feel the same. 😢

i dot see her involvement in any part of the racing industry as good. Under her stewardship NZ Racing has imploded and she should be accountable. Her departing email to staff is delusory = and she is still on the gravy train.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Maximus said:

i dot see her involvement in any part of the racing industry as good. Under her stewardship NZ Racing has imploded and she should be accountable. Her departing email to staff is delusory = and she is still on the gravy train.

She seems to have managed to squeeze out another year

A case of the 2 sides using each other for gain

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Hesi said:

She seems to have managed to squeeze out another year

A case of the 2 sides using each other for gain

a case of Winston not doing the job properly? ...you have to clean out all the rubbish to get the house in order..

Edited by Maximus

A few parallels here with the dramatic turn around of the NZ Netball team under Noeline Taurua.

Clearly the best candidate around, yet not even short listed when she applied, only to watch NZ go on to it's most disastrous result by not even medalling at the CG's.

When finally sense prevailed, she set a goal, got the right playing and coaching personnel in place and got on with it and made it happen, her way.

With racing, we watch it move closer to the abyss, as it gets bogged down in bureaucracy.  Winston made a pretty bold move in appointing Messara, you have to give him that, but by the time, if and when anything comes out of it all, it will be 2 years!!  And even then, it will be very debatable as to whether it was all worthwhile

• Like 1