The Race Place

News from the North(ern) Hemisphere

Stodge

Interesting  runner down under tomorrow/today Stodge is English King.

Out of the same Tattersalls  sale as Zaaki. Zaaki went for considerably  less @150 Guineas, 3 or 4 others were also sold to Aus for higher prices than Zaaki.

Also noted that the Arc runner up In Swoop, is taking up residency at the Coolmore National Hunt barn, with the service fee to be announced. 

On 8/27/2021 at 11:26 PM, Midnight Caller said:

Interesting  runner down under tomorrow/today Stodge is English King.

Out of the same Tattersalls  sale as Zaaki. Zaaki went for considerably  less @150 Guineas, 3 or 4 others were also sold to Aus for higher prices than Zaaki.

Also noted that the Arc runner up In Swoop, is taking up residency at the Coolmore National Hunt barn, with the service fee to be announced. 

Quiet start for the former Derby favourite but no surprise racing over just 1600m.

He won the 2020 Lingfield Derby trial and on the back of that was made favourite for the big race at Epsom but SERPENTINE's front running meant ENGLISH KING never got to challenge and finished fifth. Two disappointing runs behind MOGUL suggested to me he needed further and I think he's a galloper and a stayer.

I presume ZAAKI will be heading for the Cox Plate.

• Like 1

The Moulin at Longchamp on Sunday is shaping up to be a very strong race.

Jim Bolger will decide on Friday whether his 2000 Guineas winning colt POETIC FLARE will join this dance as he has been in every other one this season.

He has been runner up in both the Sussex and the Marois on his last two runs and with both winners absent, this may be his "easiest" engagement for a while.

He holds SNOW LANTERN on Goodwood form and while you could argue the Falmouth winner didn't get the run of the race that day, on a line through ALCOHOL FREE she has a little to find.

The joker in the pack could be BAAEED who has looked a really exciting prospect winning Listed and Group 3 events the last twice. This is his test - Group 1 and especially against these battle-hardened types will tell us a lot. 

Saturday at Haydock has the Sprint Trophy over 1200m - July Cup winner STARMAN has his ground and should win this - he was third in the Maurice de Gheest last time but the ground went against him. On quick ground, he's very good and while there's a favourable word for SUPREMACY at a price, I'd need to see some evidence after a couple of frankly moderate efforts.

Looking further ahead, the Irish Champion on the 11th is another race over which one can salivate mentally. TARNAWA has been installed as 7/4 favourite with ST MARK'S BASILICA at 9/4. Juddmonte winner MISHRIFF looks a big price at 8/1. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A busy weekend approaching in the UK and Ireland with the final classic, the Leger, on Saturday at Doncaster but most eyes will be on Ireland for the opening day of Champions Weekend at Leopardstown.

Sunday sees the second day of Champions Weekend at The Curragh and the big Arc Trials day at Longchamp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sunday looks a cracking day - SNOWFALL in the Vermeille and POINT LONSDALE in the National. I can't oppose the former but I think Godolphin's NATIVE TRAIL may beat the latter.

Some rain at Doncaster - now Good, Good to Soft in places. I don't think it'll stop HURRICANE LANE and 10/11 might loom a real steal at 4pm tomorrow,

A weekend of burst bubbles up here.

SNOWFALL perhaps the biggest though I think there was a lot to like in the defeat.

POINT LONSDALE turned over in the National as the balance swung away from Ballydoyle and Coolmore to Newmarket and Godolphin.

NATIVE TRAIL looks a juvenile colt of real promise while HURRICANE LANE duly won the Leger and I think he's going to be a big player over 2400m next season.