The Race Place

Pete

karrotsishere

1. You mentioned in earlier years you were right into Harness, could you tell us about it, was it as an owner, enthusiast, son of an enthusiast, a punter, trainer or other? What was it you liked? 

My Dad got me hooked on horse racing In England when I was 5 years old. When we came to NZ I was just interested in all racing. I think the first time I went to the trots was for the 1967 Auckland Cup won by Allakasam.

2. Now you are more into gallops what is your involvement in gallops? Apart from running this site I have a small share in a galloper.

3. How long have you been involved? 50+ years.

4. Obviously you are a part owner in this racing site, how long has the site been going, & how did you get involved?

We’ve been running for over 2 years now. I got involved because Hesi was interested in starting his own site and I casually let slip in a post on BOAY that I’m a software developer by profession.

5. How many times have you watched a horse you own win on replay You Tube or via old video cassette? Never.

6. How much is the biggest amount you have won punting?

Amount wise $3300 on a 10% pick six at Ruakaka.
Significance wise it was actually a bet I had around 1980. My mate and I had booked on the Twin Cups Tour and I was short of money for it. I’d watched this horse called Without Fear at Alex Park. It kept galloping and then made up an enormous amount of ground with great speed. I figured I’d have a go next start. It drew 1 and led all the way at Claudelands next start paying $17. It paid for the trip to Christchurch.

7. Who is your favourite gallops horse?

Really difficult to single one out but I loved Grey Way. I backed him when he won that unforgettable Easter Handicap. Over the sticks I loved Hunterville's 3 Great Northerns.

8. Did you watch the movie Phar Lap, if so how many times? No never saw it.

9. What is on of the saddest moments for you in racing? Any time one of these brave animals loses their life. Not ashamed to say I’ve shed a tear a few times.

10. Happy moments? My happy place used to be the infield at Ellerslie on Boxing Day and New Years Day. So many good memories.

11. What is a most vivid memory? Kotare Chief winning Auckland Cup.

12. What gallops racetrack do you rate best & why? Ellerslie in NZ - I've always loved it. Cheltenham in the UK – a superb jumping racecourse.

13. Recall you saying you have a small share in a gallops horse, what is the name of the horse, why did you chose horsey & how is he/she going?

Her name is O’So Divine. I had a share in a previous horse called Super Girl with the Innes stable and took a small share in her when it was offered.
She’s had 3 races and won her second at $31 which was a huge thrill. She’s running at Hastings on Wednesday so look out.

14. Whats something no one knows about you that your happy to share? I love cats. We once had 4 at the same time.

15. What is the running cost approx for the site annually? It’s costs around $70 a month. We run in the cloud unlike the other 2 sites. It’s very cost effective which means the site isn’t plastered with ads which I detest.

16. How much time monthly would you put into the site? Well I’m on here every day to make sure Hesi behaves himself. No, seriously it would be probably 10 hours a month maximum. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Read at bedtime what lol. I loved it. As did all the other Q & A's. Thanks for putting up a link & moving forward on all the others too 😃 Phar Lap the movie is a beauty. Good watch for the kids. Might need a box of tissues tho for the end. Think it available free on You Tube.  Recommend a watch 😃

• Like 2

If y

1 hour ago, karrotsishere said:

Read at bedtime what lol. I loved it. As did all the other Q & A's. Thanks for putting up a link & moving forward on all the others too 😃 Phar Lap the movie is a beauty. Good watch for the kids. Might need a box of tissues tho for the end. Think it available free on You Tube.  Recommend a watch 😃

If you get a chance try watching Dream Horse. It's based on a real story and a really good movie.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Really difficult to single one out but I loved Grey Way.

10. Happy moments? My happy place used to be the infield at Ellerslie on Boxing Day and New Years Day. So many good memories.

15. What is the running cost approx for the site annually? It’s costs around $70 a month. We run in the cloud unlike the other 2 sites. It’s very cost effective which means the site isn’t plastered with ads which I detest.

16. How much time monthly would you put into the site? Well I’m on here every day to make sure Hesi behaves himself. No, seriously it would be probably 10 hours a month maximum. 

I,m impressed with the time and money invested in running the site...(thought it would be alot more !)

Like you, Pops ensured Racing was ingrained in my life from an early age and Pic-nic meetings and the Hastings Spring Carnival are my favourite.

shit...Grey Way, On Show,No Show,LA Mer, Balmerino spring to mind (list is too long over the years)

will have an interest bet on Super Girl @ Hastings. Cheers 

I have a Diploma in Equine Studies which I thoroughly enjoyed,before managing a Local Stud.

Highlights are many... Kiwi winning the Melb. Cup (mate and I backed)

and same mate and I were on track in the public bar at Eagle Farm for 1 of many of Rough Habits wins... WHAT A PERFORMANCE  😊😊

The Pumpa ensured we wern,t wanting for cash, when, the Cuz and I done the Haka, and Jimmy gave us the wink before  leaving the Birdcage 

on Might and Power....James Mac has a way to go yet ! LOL

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Porky said:

I,m impressed with the time and money invested in running the site...(thought it would be alot more !)

Like you, Pops ensured Racing was ingrained in my life from an early age and Pic-nic meetings and the Hastings Spring Carnival are my favourite.

shit...Grey Way, On Show,No Show,LA Mer, Balmerino spring to mind (list is too long over the years)

will have an interest bet on Super Girl @ Hastings. Cheers 

I have a Diploma in Equine Studies which I thoroughly enjoyed,before managing a Local Stud.

Highlights are many... Kiwi winning the Melb. Cup (mate and I backed)

and same mate and I were on track in the public bar at Eagle Farm for 1 of many of Rough Habits wins... WHAT A PERFORMANCE  😊😊

The Pumpa ensured we wern,t wanting for cash, when, the Cuz and I done the Haka, and Jimmy gave us the wink before  leaving the Birdcage 

on Might and Power....James Mac has a way to go yet ! LOL

Hi Porky. Super Girl was the previous horse. You're looking for O'So Divine in R4. She should go ok.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

1. You mentioned in earlier years you were right into Harness, could you tell us about it, was it as an owner, enthusiast, son of an enthusiast, a punter, trainer or other? What was it you liked? 

My Dad got me hooked on horse racing In England when I was 5 years old. When we came to NZ I was just interested in all racing. I think the first time I went to the trots was for the 1967 Auckland Cup won by Allakasam.

2. Now you are more into gallops what is your involvement in gallops? Apart from running this site I have a small share in a galloper.

4. Obviously you are a part owner in this racing site, how long has the site been going, & how did you get involved?

We’ve been running for over 2 years now. I got involved because Hesi was interested in starting his own site and I casually let slip in a post on BOAY that I’m a software developer by profession.

5. How many times have you watched a horse you own win on replay You Tube or via old video cassette? Never.

6. How much is the biggest amount you have won punting?

Amount wise $3300 on a 10% pick six at Ruakaka.
Significance wise it was actually a bet I had around 1980. My mate and I had booked on the Twin Cups Tour and I was short of money for it. I’d watched this horse called Without Fear at Alex Park. It kept galloping and then made up an enormous amount of ground with great speed. I figured I’d have a go next start. It drew 1 and led all the way at Claudelands next start paying $17. It paid for the trip to Christchurch.

Really difficult to single one out but I loved Grey Way. I backed him when he won that unforgettable Easter Handicap. Over the sticks I loved Hunterville's 3 Great Northerns.

8. Did you watch the movie Phar Lap, if so how many times? No never saw it.

9. What is on of the saddest moments for you in racing? Any time one of these brave animals loses their life. Not ashamed to say I’ve shed a tear a few times.

11. What is a most vivid memory? Kotare Chief winning Auckland Cup.

12. What gallops racetrack do you rate best & why? Ellerslie in NZ - I've always loved it. Cheltenham in the UK – a superb jumping racecourse.

13. Recall you saying you have a small share in a gallops horse, what is the name of the horse, why did you chose horsey & how is he/she going?

Her name is O’So Divine. I had a share in a previous horse called Super Girl with the Innes stable and took a small share in her when it was offered.
She’s had 3 races and won her second at $31 which was a huge thrill. She’s running at Hastings on Wednesday so look out.

14. Whats something no one knows about you that your happy to share? I love cats. We once had 4 at the same time.

Just to add a few things to this

1.  Pete and I talked about things a while back now, and we both agreed, that the site would not have made it past 3 months, if it was not for the support of the other person.  That still stands, hard road these chat forums

2.  The 2 motivations for starting the site were.  PJ was running out of places for his comps, so it was to put a no obligation option in front of him.  PJ's comps have been going for over 15 years!!!, and it would have been a crime to lose them.  Secondly, 2 people spring to mind, Looking For Value(LFV), was our first member and the one who gave us a lot of moral support, and good old Sir Gallivant(Rex), who as many may have gathered, is not in the best of health, yet contributes so much, and just loves the site and the people on it, and his comps

• Like 9