The Race Place

Betting on course.

Mardy

First of i just wanted to mention that i attended the local trots today and it was definitely a good sized crowd on offer with some good racing,and i hope it was financially a good day for the club. One thing that i hate and it's always been a pet peeve of mine,even dating back to when i used to work in a TAB is the number of people that will verbally tell the tote operator their bets,rather than  fill out a bet slip. Almost twice today due to someone ahead of me verbally telling the operator their bets,and on one occassion wanted to do a deposit into their TAB account,thankfully the operator said she will serve the people behind him before doing it,i almost didn't get two winning bets on. I will say they were running at 25min intervals so it made it tight,but i always queued up at least 5 mins before tote close,obviously not long enough on these two occassions,with someone waffling their bets up ahead of me. It's always annoyed me as to why more people don't fill out the betslips,it's faster and less prone to any 'operator' errors,yes i realise some may not know how to fill them out,but they aren't that hard to work out. Just wondering whether others have struck this issue when being  on course?.

Edited by Mardy

26 minutes ago, Mardy said:

First of i just wanted to mention that i attended the local trots today and it was definitely a good sized crowd on offer with some good racing,and i hope it was financially a good day for the club. One thing that i hate and it's always been a pet peeve of mine,even dating back to when i used to work in a TAB is the number of people that will verbally tell the tote operator their bets,rather than  fill out a bet slip. Almost twice today due to someone ahead of me verbally telling the operator their bets,and on one occassion wanted to do a deposit into their TAB account,thankfully the operator said she will serve the people behind him before doing it,i almost didn't get two winning bets on. I will say they were running at 25min intervals so it made it tight,but i always queued up at least 5 mins before tote close,obviously not long enough on these two occassions,with someone waffling their bets up ahead of me. It's always annoyed me as to why more people don't fill out the betslips,it's faster and less prone to any 'operator' errors,yes i realise some may not know how to fill them out,but they aren't that hard to work out. Just wondering whether others have struck this issue when being  on course?.

Frequently Mardy.
And form fillers like me seem to be in the minority.
With seconds left to the race on busy days, they then get asked for the total of their bets and only then they start fishing around their handbags, or wallets, for the cash. 
The bets you miss are always the one that win.

Oh dear Mardy, Im def a culprit of that & so are others that have come along with me to trots. Oppsey daisy. Didn’t even realise one was meant to fill out forms. Don’t think Iv ever filled out a form on-course. Thought placing a bet was like going and getting In and Out Burger, give them ya order & then get the goods.

Last time at races, 1 of the people in our group was so shy to go up & put a bet on (it was her 1st time to trots) her partner had force the issue saying, “no its your turn to do it”. Nervous about what to say, thinking she might get it wrong, she insisted I go up with her. She had chosen a top 4 for her bet & her partner a Top 3. Only to be told no, no Top 4 allowed. Which was interesting as I was looking at the Top 4 odds on ph. Anyway so then we had to discuss on the spot, which different bet to take, as she didn’t want that horse for a top 3 lol.

Lucky the totes at the time were not busy & the tote lady was really friendly & didn’t seem bothered by us.

But that is where this is coming from. People don’t realise they are meant to fill forms out.

I would think in general people filling out bet slips on course or in a tab are in the minority. I don’t so much have an issue with it if they are quick it but agree it’s frustrating when they are taking complicated $1 percentage first fours on the hoof.

Withdrawals and deposits on busy days are a pain but most operators I have seen are pretty good at telling them to wait if it’s close to the jump of a race and free online deposits and quick bank withdrawals have helped eliminate this to some extent. 

I also get frustrated in Pub Tabs when someone starts looking through Turkish second division Soccer games that are 3 weeks away for there multi that has no chance of success and there’s only one machine. 

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

It's always annoyed me as to why more people don't fill out the betslips,it's faster and less prone to any 'operator' errors,yes i realise some may not know how to fill them out,but they aren't that hard to work out.

I don't think the non regular racegoers at a course would have no idea how to fill them out. The non racing people I know are a bit concerned about what they even say to an operate, let alone fill out a form.

I just use my phone at the races these days as the 2 windows open for a bumper summer crowd is a recipe for disaster.

40 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

She had chosen a top 4 for her bet & her partner a Top 3. Only to be told no, no Top 4 allowed. Which was interesting as I was looking at the Top 4 odds on ph.

Can you even do a top 4 on a betslip?

Do the old machines allow an operator to do a top 4 verbally? Oh my, don't tell me the multi million dollar website has a purpose.

5 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Can you even do a top 4 on a betslip?

Do the old machines allow an operator to do a top 4 verbally? Oh my, don't tell me the multi million dollar website has a purpose.

Nope, no can do.

The top 4 bet is a bit of a favourite of mine, and it's not available at a TAB outlet, nor a tote window oncourse. It's only available online. 

• Like 1

Big shout out and thank you to the tote operators on the West Coast galloping circuit. All that I encountered (many!) behind the windows, were extremely prompt, professional and pleasant to deal with, often in less than ideal facilities.

Well done, your efforts were much appreciated! 

• Like 1