The Race Place

Tough times ahead/crisis

ngakonui grass

Once or twice a month my wife will head to a few op shops and buy cheap items in the clothing and crockery range to give to those that need it If they choose to sell it on well then thats their choice..On her latest venture she came back with virtually nothing as she said a lot of the items were cheaper at the Warehouse or Kmart.

How do op shops justify some of their prices especially when most of the staff are volunteers and they are given for free most of what they sell.

Edited by ngakonui grass

I know the Salvation Army are very fussy in what they take now. If it isn’t in spotless condition they don’t want to know about it. They run it like a business these days with some staff being paid while all the menial jobs are done by volunteers.

In saying that, it doesn’t help when people turn up after hours and dump stuff that’s only fit for the tip.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ngakonui grass said:

Once or twice a month my wife will head to a few op shops and buy cheap items in the clothing and crockery range to give to those that need it If they choose to sell it on well then thats their choice..On her latest venture she came back with virtually nothing as she said a lot of the items were cheaper at the Warehouse or Kmart.

How do op shops justify some of their prices especially when most of the staff are volunteers and they are given for free most of what they sell.

Also there is a lot of op shop type stuff sold on Trademe.  And so much you can buy online now, not just in NZ

A lot of these places, some pretty big, have their online act together, in terms of service.

I can buy seeds online from Holland, and they are here in my hand in 4-5 days, whereas Egmont Seeds in New Plymouth, were taking 2 weeks.  They may have upped their game by now

• Like 1