The Race Place

NZTR track rating changes

pete

From email from Bruce Sharrock

Dear Valued Owner,

As a fellow owner I understand the passion which drives us all to become, and remain, involved in this industry and I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible over the coming months.

Today, is not only my first day in the role of CEO of NZTR, but also marks a significant change to our track rating system which will bring us back into alignment with Australia.

This is part of our move to the Single National System (SNS) and has involved significant work behind the scenes to ensure the new track ratings are reflected in horses’ form retrospectively.

The graphic below demonstrates the changes but what is important to remember is that the number will remain aligned to the penetrometer reading for that number, for example a Good 4 still falls into the 2.6-2.8 penetrometer reading, likewise a Soft 5, which is described as a track with a reasonable amount of give in it, is still within the 2.9-3.2 range.

TRACK RATINGS - effective from today, 4 April 2022 

NZTR_Track-Ratings-a47beb4c1c84bb71.jpg

20 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Punters beware

A new Heavy in NZ, could mean anything from a bog to a soft track, whereas in Aus, a Heavy track, as it was at Rosehill on Sat, means they can still run 1.12-13 for 1200m

Yeah I'm not a fan of no differentiation at the Heavy end. When we had 10 and 11 it at least gave some indication.

Now the whole lot's been lumped into H10.

It's all very well trying to align with Oz but they don't tend to race on bottomless bogs like we do here.

• Like 1