The Race Place

District Attorney

Globederby19

Been watching a bit of Aussie Harness,(bit bored with ours) and this horse has caught my eye. Finished from way back for 2nd in the Gold Bullion at Melton behind the boom horse of the moment Catch a Wave. Coming up the straight I swear I was looking at Courage Under Fire and sure enough he is by him (must be one of his last).  Dead cert clone in every way, and looks to be a very good horse as he hasn't been out of a place in 10 starts with 4 wins to boot. One to mark down in my portfolio.

• Like 1

Bored of NZ harness! Are you watching Channel 83 tonight?

I would listen to Jason Teaz all night long but the visual quality of it is poor (read not an acceptable standard) and while it seems a great concept how can harness have 2 presenters on one channel up against the Whale, Matt Cookson and the 2 commentators?

Harness is not big enough for this.

8 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Bored of NZ harness! Are you watching Channel 83 tonight?

I would listen to Jason Teaz all night long but the visual quality of it is poor (read not an acceptable standard) and while it seems a great concept how can harness have 2 presenters on one channel up against the Whale, Matt Cookson and the 2 commentators?

Harness is not big enough for this.

Mark not Matt but I'm catchin' yer drift HS

1 minute ago, Maximus said:

Mark not Matt but I'm catchin' yer drift HS

Thinking too fast. Unlike these 2 culprits in the news today.

Horse trainer and driver allegedly sexually abused young woman

A horse trainer and a driver are due to appear in court next week facing sex charges. (File photo)
ALDEN WILLIAMS/STUFF
A horse trainer and a driver are due to appear in court next week facing sex charges. (File photo)

A horse trainer and a driver allegedly sexually abused a woman during last year's New Zealand Cup and Show week in Canterbury.

It comes as a police officer says more needs to be done to stop a small group of trainers from exploiting a power imbalance that exists in the industry.

A 25-year-old trainer has been charged with indecent assault and aggravated assault, while a 29-year-old driver has been charged with indecent assault.

It’s understood the charges relate to an incident that happened at a private training stables in November last year.

Detective Sergeant Daniel Isherwood said the two men were arrested this week and would appear in the Christchurch District Court on Wednesday.

He declined to comment further about the case while it was before the courts.

However, speaking generally, Isherwood said it was clear from his inquiries and observations that the harness racing industry had a problem it needed to address.

“A lack of employment contracts, coupled with young women who are motivated to progress their careers has unfortunately created an environment a small number of trainers have chosen to exploit.

“Trainers are in a position of power and really need to take a hard look at what they are doing to ensure a safe work place.”

Harness Racing New Zealand chief executive Gary Woodham could not be reached for comment.

What I hate about this in the media is the way police spokesperson(s) say they can't speak about the case that is sub judice but 'generally speaking' bla bla bla ...and then the clear implication to the average reader is that the person(s) arrested are guilty. They should not be allowed to comment apart from outlining the basic facts: ie who has been arrested/charged; and what for; and whether or not they are on bail or on remand.

MM

3 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Thinking too fast. Unlike these 2 culprits in the news today.

Horse trainer and driver allegedly sexually abused young woman

ALDEN WILLIAMS/STUFF

A horse trainer and a driver allegedly sexually abused a woman during last year's New Zealand Cup and Show week in Canterbury.

It comes as a police officer says more needs to be done to stop a small group of trainers from exploiting a power imbalance that exists in the industry.

A 25-year-old trainer has been charged with indecent assault and aggravated assault, while a 29-year-old driver has been charged with indecent assault.

It’s understood the charges relate to an incident that happened at a private training stables in November last year.

Detective Sergeant Daniel Isherwood said the two men were arrested this week and would appear in the Christchurch District Court on Wednesday.

He declined to comment further about the case while it was before the courts.

However, speaking generally, Isherwood said it was clear from his inquiries and observations that the harness racing industry had a problem it needed to address.

“A lack of employment contracts, coupled with young women who are motivated to progress their careers has unfortunately created an environment a small number of trainers have chosen to exploit.

“Trainers are in a position of power and really need to take a hard look at what they are doing to ensure a safe work place.”

Harness Racing New Zealand chief executive Gary Woodham could not be reached for comment.

careful now, Happy ...ALLEGED culprits

11 hours ago, Maximus said:

What I hate about this in the media is the way police spokesperson(s) say they can't speak about the case that is sub judice but 'generally speaking' bla bla bla ...and then the clear implication to the average reader is that the person(s) arrested are guilty. They should not be allowed to comment apart from outlining the basic facts: ie who has been arrested/charged; and what for; and whether or not they are on bail or on remand.

You are right but by golly, the way the policeman speaks there is even more of a story behind it all. Seems like it is more than just a one off. 

If they can say things like this below then they are holding far more information than just a single event. Will I get told off for speculating by moderators on here? In my view, the police have set the standard and I am merely discussing the information presented by authorities. If they can say this sort of stuff then the standard is set.

How is that code of conduct going, Mr Woodham?

14 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

• Like 1