The Race Place

Victoria Racing

ngakonui grass

9 minutes ago, ngakonui grass said:

Victoria racing has purchased a block of land on the outskirts of Melbourne hopefully to future proof racing in Victoria.

It is 3 times the size of Flemington.

Meanwhile when was the last time a NZ club purchased land as opposed to selling it.

When was the last time a NZ club made money in its own right?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ngakonui grass said:

Victoria racing has purchased a block of land on the outskirts of Melbourne hopefully to future proof racing in Victoria.

It is 3 times the size of Flemington.

Meanwhile when was the last time a NZ club purchased land as opposed to selling it.

Waikato, Waipa and Cambridge RC's have signed a memorandum of understanding to combine to form a single club.  I presume this would involve selling off the 3 existing racecourse(yes the AWT would go), and purchase land to build a new track and facilities

3 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Waikato, Waipa and Cambridge RC's have signed a memorandum of understanding to combine to form a single club.  I presume this would involve selling off the 3 existing racecourse(yes the AWT would go), and purchase land to build a new track and facilities

Sounds retarded to me. So I expect you're right.

2 minutes ago, Hesi said:

I think Ellerslie make a profit, but racing is only a small contributor

I think that's a little dodgy. You can't count making money due to activities that are funded from other sources. The club may make money, but the operation involved with running horse racing is not making money overall. They are the biggest funded club in NZ by a mile.

I guess if I do a sausage sizzle and sell 500 sausages at $2 each, with costs at $850 (with the sausages given to me for free by the sausage man), I guess that means I make a profit. That's the kind of profit they make.

33 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Can't they keep their own tracks but still race under the one umbrella?

Can;t imagine Te Rapa being sold but then again who will decide whats best for the 3 clubs.

3 hours ago, ngakonui grass said:

Can't they keep their own tracks but still race under the one umbrella?

What's the point or advantage of that

Can;t imagine Te Rapa being sold but then again who will decide whats best for the 3 clubs.

That is what the Memorandum of Understanding is about.  All 3 clubs working together to decide what is the best direction.  I would say, a bottom line absolute is, that all 3 existing courses are sold, to generate the cash to develop a new site

From Messara

We believe that the cost of a Waikato Greenfields site could be covered by the sale of Cambridge (then both a racing and training venue), Te Rapa and Te Awamutu racecourses. The Cambridge synthetic track would then have served as an important bridge to the Waikato Greenfields Project.

• Like 1