The Race Place

Whip Rule Video for the Unconverted

Happy Sunrise

It's very straight forward, and a good idea producing that video. 

The penalties being dished out for such breaches, just don't seem to be working. 

Perhaps it's time to start disqualifying horses from place bearing positions, if it is found the driver breached the whip rule? 

Would that send the message home more quickly? Would that get a quicker result, in making more drivers, more compliant? 

Imagine if Arden Rooney was given the capital D after Kerryn Manning broke the whip rule, winning the NZ Cup a few years back. She got fined, but kept the race. And who paid the fine? Her? Or the horse's owners? 

Break rules = cheating? 

I don't know. 

But what I do know is, something has to be done to try and front foot this whip issue, before the anti-racing brigade start jumping up and down about it. So good on the powers that be for producing the video. It's a small but positive step in the right direction, for the good of the sport. 

• Like 3

Agree great idea re the video. Trying not to be the negativity queen, but come on this video is basic & 1 min 30 secs. Very basically produced, which is fine. My point is that, it would of taken low resources prob 1/2 a day max to cut, put together by 1 person. Great they did it. Better late than never.

How many employees do RIB have 100+  isn't it. Why just now produce a simple easy to do video. Should of been done ages ago.

Basic stuff.

I mean what do the majority of RIB staff do all day?

RIB report that goes online, would be 1 touch type typist who would type it up reports as they he/she gets them, someone with a key stroke of approx 45- 50 words per minute. Would take that person 1 day to flick thru a days reports pending how many reports were done. Actually they would prob have 2-3 people doing it pending the workload.

I dunno. I don't know enough about what goes on. I'm just wondering what the 100 odd people are doing all day.

Results time - checked into see how it all went last nite the big guns & interesting reading over the Lincoln Farms site below are pre-race comments by Green. Then after race comments.

Pre race

Race 7: Copy That 8.24pm
“It’s hard to know what will happen early - we’re not guaranteed to lead with Nicholas Cage and Chimichurri immediately outside us, one of them will probably launch, but I don’t think it matters. Blair will do the right thing. He doesn’t have to lead. There’s no such thing as a certainty but on paper it does look really good for him. You couldn’t make a case for anything beating him.”

After race comments below

https://www.lincolnfarms.co.nz/stories/copy-that-mauled-in-front-but-goes-down-fighting-like-a-nicholas-caged-lion/

Orange said in deciding when to relent he waited until he was sure the field had been broken up enough to ensure he could complete the retaking manoeuvre.

Green said it could be debated that Orange should have let Nicholas Cage go sooner but he was not about to question the drive.

My thoughts are perhaps he should of spoken to Orange & said exactly what he said to the Lincoln Farms journo that was made public prior the race. Sometimes the Southern drivers may not be aware of all North horses form. Feel it cost both Cage & Copy That both top 3 spots had Orange, relented sooner then retaken lead.

Thoughts Happy on the below as per your thread. Does RIB need to get harder & disqualify a horse that wins if driver breaks the rules? I find it a bit of a joke, & some drivers are just taking the piss. Purposely breaking the rules when they chose to. Penalties are too light. Will keep happening until penalties are tougher.

Purdon suspended
But in an unfortunate sequel, Akuta’s driver M Purdon was found to have used his whip with more than a wrist flicking motion in the run home of the Taylor Mile and was fined $300 and suspended for seven driving days up to and including May 14. That means he will not be able to drive Akuta in next week’s Messenger.

PS putting that aside for a moment. A 4yo won. Good!

Edited by karrotsishere

16 hours ago, Blackie said:

Will Natalie get the drive? I’d put her on.

I would too young Blackie. She is the best. Was watching a replay of her driving a horse called 2 I C. And 2 I C got pumped out 4 wide. What would most drivers do, push forward. What did N Ras do she instantly went back to rear & instantly looked for short cuts. Smart. That's what I would do too! Unfortunetly no gaps came.

Lightening you are on the money.

Check the pic out. Orange could of/should of relented EARLY to re-take lead. No one coming in running line. Coast is clear. But every chance at that early stage horse 1 would of run up & held Cage from trail.

ScreenShot2023-04-22at3_45_16PM.thumb.png.aecf59034f0d14ce6e383d94394d951c.png

Edited by karrotsishere

31 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

What happened?

wants to win the New Roy Purdon Memorial in honour of his dad so setting him for that.

But his co-trainer Mark Purdon says he is all but certain to bypass the 2700m mobile.

“He has raced three weeks in a row and I don’t want to make it four, especially in what could be a hard 2700m,” says Purdon.

“He is still only four and in his first real season of open class racing so if he misses this week I can get him ready for Dad’s race (The Roy Purdon Memorial, May 19) and the Auckland Cup a week later.”

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

What happened?

Purdon was saying on the weekend that Akuta will be visiting the vet clinic at Matamata and be given the precautionary once over for maintenance purposes. 

One could be forgiven for thinking that Akuta is missing the Messenger, in response to the enforced holiday given to the driver/owner, re: the whip rule, from the Taylor Mile race. 

M Guerin wrote this for HRNZ: 

Taylor Mile winner Akuta is going to be allowed to miss the Group 1 Messenger at Alexandra Park this Friday even though there is nothing wrong with the star four-year-old.

Akuta grabbed his brave stablemate Self Assured and impressive Victorian pacer Better Eclipse in the last stride of the $90,000 Mile at Alexandra Park last Friday after an early burn saw hot favourite Copy That left vulnerable in front.

He was the third different winner in the three open class pacing features in the north in 15 days, confirming the evenness of the crop and post-race Akuta was the $3 equal favourite for the Messenger this Friday.

But his co-trainer Mark Purdon says he is all but certain to bypass the 2700m mobile.

“He has raced three weeks in a row and I don’t want to make it four, especially in what could be a hard 2700m,” says Purdon.

“He is still only four and in his first real season of open class racing so if he misses this week I can get him ready for Dad’s race (The Roy Purdon Memorial, May 19) and the Auckland Cup a week later.”

Purdon says the short break will enable Akuta to have his hocks undergo their routine maintenance treatment, which because of the withholding times for medication he can’t have the same week he races.

“He has always had a few hock issues but he was the best he has been this last week,” Purdon explains.

“But Friday was a hard run and his run the week before in The Race by Grins was also hard so I don’t want to keep asking him to do that every week.

“I still think he is getting better and with a good spell after the Auckland Cup I think he could come back a better horse later in the year.

Purdon will be back to drive Akuta on May 19 but is suspended until then after being outed for seven driving days for his whip action in the Taylor Mile.

• Like 1