The Race Place

Cambridge Palmerston North/Manawatu and Alexandra Park selections

Gonna put my reputation on the line tonight (presuming I have got one at all)

CAMBRIDGE

R1  7  Jocas Hill        Nicely bred, but iffy in its gait so far, but talented enough to blouse this lot.   1rst  $2.20  $1.60

R2  3  Shez The One   Did it tough as fav last time and I love the Sweet Lou,s                                  3rd   $1.90

R3   10  Alana         8 win horse down in grade in a mediocre field.                                                     4th

R4   1   Xcite Me    Out of Alta Serena, and good draw                                                                         5th  

R5   8   Majestic Ruby     Should be thereabouts second up.                                                               2nd   $2.70

R6  5   The Surfer    Talented looking horse and best draw yet.                                                          1rst   $1.90  $1.50

R7   6    D.J.Rock      Shown enough in a limited career to do well here.                                             3rd     $3.10

R8  3   Sweet Olivia      Very risky but has heaps of ability                                                                   2nd     $2.50

R9   5   Lou Baby            Stick to my Sweet Lou,s                                                                                  1rst     $1.60   $1.00  Bolted in.

R10    11    Ima Sporty Angel     Wide draw but has shown enough to do well here, with the right run. -----

R11   2   Montana D.J        Running minor placings and not out of turn for a win.                                1rst   $3.10   $2.00

Four wins, two seconds , two thirds . $1 each way. 10 cent profit for the night. 

Probably a waste of time with such short divvies. 

Alex Park this time.

Race 1     No 7  No Added Sugar    (Sweet Lou, for no other reason)                   3rd $1.60

Race 2    No 3   Lightning McQueen   (Shown enough to give this a shake)        2nd  $2.10

Race 3    No 3    Potter  (Quick horse/Sweet Lou/good draw/short odds)           1rst   $2.20  $1.50

Race 4    No 3    Halberg    (The Purdon/Phelan factor , should go close)           -

Race 5    No 3   Leo Lincoln  (Precocious Art Major and first time over the sprint, could lead and win at overs on the tote)-

Race 6    No 2  Throwyaarmsaroundme  ( Sweet Lou/good draw/should be tough)   3rd     $1.20

Race 7    No 3  Fernleigh Cash ( Longshot to run a place/back to sprints and mobiles, with Alicia Harrison up)  4th

Race 8    No 4   Minjee  (Solid mile rates and could lead them a merry dance)      -

Race 9    No 6   All Cashed Up    ( Surely this time, has the ability but does make it hard for itself)   2nd   $1.60

Race 10   No 6   Xcite Me ( unlucky so far, sticking with it ,just needs luck from the draw)My BB for the night.  3rd NTD

Disappointing runs by some

One win ,2 seconds . 3 thirds. $20 spent  $10.20 return. Remind me to stick to Purdon/Phelon. 

👍

Edited by Globederby19
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alex Park 9-2-2024.

R1   6  Always B Elite  ( second up in the north,and ran good races as a 2yr old)                                           1rst  

R2  8  Franco Santana  (Well backed first up and devoid of any racing room,should go close with T Herlihy)  4th

R3  6  Wish For Fish   (Fresh up and good record on the course)                                                                           4th

R4  9  Madrid         (Bought north, shows potential from Purdon Barn, just needs luck from draw)           pathetic

R5  4  Treacherous Baby  (Has the draw advantage over #7, but another good Captain Treacherous horse)     again pathetic

R6  9  Sunny's Sister  ( Trots all the way, Wins)                                                                                             3rd Thought Dun might have looped them and get to the lead, instead of a sprint around them from back at the end. 

R7  3  Iron Brigade  ( might lack the class of some of these but is quick,show heaps of potential,  and a good bet at odds)  Caught parked.Stick with in lesser fields.

R8   5  Throwyaarmsaroundme   (Another consistent Sweet Lou, Herlihy up, should go close)             3rd

R9  5  Self Assured   (IMHO, one of the best horses to stick his head through a bridle in my time watching harness. Getting older but all   class still.                                                                                                                                                   2nd

R10  6  Bangkok Betty   (Weaker field for her , my BB for the night, could easily win without surprising)Bugger  2nd

I would call that a night of failures by the Favs. 

Hoping they run better than the last meet.  They didn't

One win, 2 2nds ,2 3rds.    $20 spent  $11.10 return. 

Edited by Globederby19
  • Like 1

• Hesi changed the title to Cambridge Palmerston North/Manawatu and Alexandra Park selections

Palmerston North  tonight.

R1    3  Sweet Olivia     (S Doodys second string and quite capable of turning up)   ---

R2  6    Trifolium       (His turn to win this, but keeps running places)                         2nd  $1.50

R3   4  Clear Left   (Starting to hit form again , in this)                                                1rst  $5.10  $1.80

R4   7   Eastwood Dream   ( won nicely first up from down south and capable of repeating)  1rst   $2.70   $1.40

R5  4   Diamonds Are Forever  ( should be winning this reasonably well)                                1rst    $3.40   $2.00  (good money for a group placed horse)

R6  5    Bettor Grunter    ( Blair on board and was useful down south in his early career, and a front row draw)  2nd  $1.50

R7  6   Cracker Rock  (Arna brings this 3yr old for a go here and was held up at Cambridge first up and won a trial earlier) 3rd  $1.20

R8  4   Secrets Abound   (Sweet Lou again and has a reputation) My BB for the night.  1rst  $1.30  $1.10

Imaginary $10 win bets only. BB will incur twice the amount =$20 win. Prices in the north are way too small for $1 e/w. 

Results  4 wins  2 seconds 1 third  Spent $90  Return $148  Profit  $58

Edited by Globederby19
  • Like 1

Alexander Park 16-2-24

Totals so far  (includes $1 each way for first 3 meetings) every meeting after has been from last night ,and will be $10 win bets only. 

39 races , 10 -wins  8- 2nds , 9- 3rds  Profit $35.50.

Tonight

R1  9  Luby Lil     (A young trotter on the up, the longer distance to work with off the hncp)                        2nd

R2  6  Franco Santana  (good efforts from bad draws and Herlihy sticks instead of #4)                          --

R3  5  McKendrick   (Sweet Lou again, Dun stable ,right in this )                                          1rst  $7.60  $2.20

R4  4   Dutchess Megxit  (Very consistent and with Butcher on, should go close from the draw)           2nd

R5  11  Sunny's Sister  ( Tough field with some in form fast beginners off the front, extra distance will suit though )---

R6  4  Ultimate racy Girl ( Very consistent filly, Butcher on, has the class to take this)                                  3rd

R7  1  Cold Chisel  ( Tough race this one ,but draw gives him all the chance in the world to make it hard for those at the back) 2nd

R8  6  Self Assured  (Say no more)                                                                                                                    2nd

R9  5 Castana      (Improving 4yr old , and could easily prevail here again)                                                   4th

1 win  ,4 -2nds, 1 -3rd

Frustrating run of 2nds. $90 spent   $76 return  $14 loss. No BB so no double up.

Totals  48 races  11 wins  12 seconds  10 thirds  Profit  $35

Edited by Globederby19

Cambridge 23-2-24

R1   9  Keepit Klassy  ( Arna brings the nice 4yr old  back to Cambridge, Butcher up , must be tough on career stats)  2nd (at 12,s,bugger)

R2   6   Shez The One  (Drawn nicely, Sweet Lou, should be in this )                                                                                   4th

R3   1   Lincoln Lou     (Sweet Lou again, anyone's guess in this race but does have trial form)                                         3rd ntd

R4    1  Liby Lil.   (Runner up last time and well place to make amends)                                                                                3rd

R5    4    Akatea   (Second up and has shown enough in previous campaign to rate here)                                                  2nd

R6   4   Lou Baby     ( Beaten by draw at Alex Park, but bloused two fields here before)                                                     5th  

R7   5  Wishing Star    (Longshot fresh up)                                                                                                                                -

R8   2   Onyx Shard   ( Sweet Lou 3f, good draw to work with for a change)                                                                         3rd

R9   3   Precious Bet   (Has also shown enough to give this a shake) My BB                                                                         1rst  $3.80x2BB

1 win ,  two 2nds ,three 3rds

Total spent  $100  Return $76  Loss $24  .

57 races   12 wins, 14 2nds, 13 3rds.  Overall profit $11.00

Edited by Globederby19

Alex Park 1-3-2024

Bound to be some short divvies tonight. 

R1  5   Inasinglemoment    ( Very impressive 1rst up, beat a subsequent race winner at the trials)   2nd 

R2  8  Follow Your Dream  ( Has had some tough runs in good fields down south. 3rd up at Alex Park and will be fitter, just needs the right run.)                                                                                                                                                                 -  Never in it

R3   2  Twista                   ( Gets the nudge over #1 , should be close)           Wrong again . Can't win can yah. 2nd

R4  7  Monarch Hill         ( Has shown enough ability to take this out, providing she trots all the way)      1rst   $3.70  

R5  1  Cold Chisel            ( Very fine margins  between 1 and 2 in this)                                                          1rst  $2.70

R6  8  All Cashed Up.   (Will get one soon)                                                                                                       1rst  $4.00

R7  3  Jolimont  (My talk with A Campbell got Tommy to buy this Sweet Lou .) My BB and very easy.      1rst  1.80  (Double up on BB)

R8  2  Idolou scr.  Duchess Megxit ( Obvious choice)                                                                                      1rst  $1.50

5 wins , 2  seconds,   . $90 spent  Return $155  Profit $65

Total Races 65    Wins 17  2nds 16  3rds 13

Overall Profit  $76

Edited by Globederby19

Posted (edited)

Cambridge 7-3-2024

Gonna stretch the arm a bit tonight. 

R1  10  Patrick Mahomes  ( if he gets it right a good chance at odds)                                       3rd

R2  2  No Added Sugar     (Telfer barn , good draw and Sweet Lou, only ? is the driver)         4th

R3  5 Tuareg                     (Ran on well from widest draw first up, well supported as well)       3rd (they need to hurry it up a bit from draws like that)

R4  8 Wishing Star           ( Trot race so going wide and sticking with it, as record overall isn't too bad)  -

R5   7  Dontstopmenow   (Toss up between this and #6)                                                              Fav and broke -

R6  7   Con Grazia Love        ( Trot again so value bet, due a win )                                            2nd

R7  3    Norvic Charlie        (  Has a nice draw to work with for a change. Not the worst, and Sweet Lou)  -

R8  4  Watch Your Back     ( Zac up and should be fitter 2nd up)                                               2nd

No BB,s tonight, cant find one, and it showed.  

Oh well. No wins . 2 -2nds 2- 3rds  Spent $80  Return $0  

Total Races  73  Wins 17  2nds 18  3rds 15

Overall Loss $15

Edited by Globederby19

23 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Cambridge 7-3-2024

Gonna stretch the arm a bit tonight. 

R1  10  Patrick Mahomes  ( if he gets it right a good chance at odds)

R2  2  No Added Sugar     (Telfer barn , good draw and Sweet Lou, only ? is the driver)

R3  5 Tuareg                     (Ran on well from widest draw first up, well supported as well)

R4  8 Wishing Star           ( Trot race so going wide and sticking with it, as record overall isn't too bad)

R5   7  Dontstopmenow   (Toss up between this and #6)

R6  7   Con Grazia Love        ( Trot again so value bet, due a win )

R7  3    Norvic Charlie        (  Has a nice draw to work with for a change. Not the worst, and Sweet Lou)

R8  4  Watch Your Back     ( Zac up and should be fitter 2nd up)

No BB,s tonight, cant find one. 

Good luck mate.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Alex Park 8-3-24

R1   1   Skipper  (Mum was a very good horse, ace draw after the last two wides)                                        1rst  $3.80

R2   5  Its Electrifying    (Zac sticks instead of   #4)      Disappointing. Wrong decision Zac                           -

R3   3   Leo Lincoln     (Looks the logical pick)               Ditto, dissapointing                                                    -

R4   4   Demon Blue      (Up from the South, Purdon barn, and the Art Majors are a precocious lot)            4th      

R5    3   Xcite Me         ( Mum was very good as well, and has been unlucky of late, due a first win)           -

R6    5   Self Assured   ( Never out of a place over this trip in 10 starts including 5 wins) Win 31  ????        3rd

R7    6  All You Need Is Me   ( Mum was exceptional, and has shown enough to make it my BB, even from the wide draw) 1rst  $2.10( A very impressive looking horse with a beautiful long gait)

Two wins   , 1   third,   Spent $80    Return  $80    Double up on BB. 

Total Races  80    Wins 19  seconds 17  thirds 18

Overall loss $15

Edited by Globederby19

Posted (edited)

Manawatu  12-3-24

R1  4   Kiss My Pixels  (Not the worst, but must trot all the way)                                     1rst  $8.30

R2   5   Sweet Olivia   ( Not a deep field, and Orange up for S Doody)                         -----

R3   8 Dom Toretto    (Drawn to get a nice run through, and a Sweet Lou)                     1rst    $4.20

R4   2   Million Dollar Chic  ( Progressive sort, Orange again for S Doody)                      ------

R5   1  No Added Sugar  ( Last chance saloon for this horse, especially from the ace)     -------

R6   2  Call Security     (Another open field , with  Butcher up is a plus)                             3rd

R7    2  Commander Lincoln  (Improver at odds)                                                                   ------

R8    5   Warloch       ( Should be close, Orange on board a plus)                                    pphhhtttt. 

No BB,s. Cant find one.

Two wins   1- third      Spent$80   Return  $125  Profit  $45

Total Races 88   Wins 21  Seconds 17  Thirds 19

Overall Profit $30

Edited by Globederby19

Posted (edited)

Manawatu 14-3-24

R1   4  Johnny Who                    -----

R2  5   New York Minute            3rd  (Blaaardy Warlock, runs last in a 4 horse field and now wins, Thieves on Wheels)

R3  5   Love Is Everywhere        1rst   $2.70

R4   Fred Astaire Scr. 1 Narobi    2nd   ( Nose )

R5   9  Stealers Wheel                 3rd   ( At 12,s)

R6   2   Baileys Pitch                     3rd

R7    6   Semba                               ----

R8   4   Million Dollar Chic             -----

Can't with confidence, find a BB again.

We move on. 

Wins 1  2nds 1  3rds 3  Spent $80  Return  $27  Loss $43

Total races 96  Wins 22  2nds 18   3rds 22

Overall loss $13

Edited by Globederby19

Posted (edited)

Alex Park 15-3-24

R1    2 Cyren Shard  ( Lobs a good draw, third up at the Park and 3 win horse on limited career so far)  Broke on a mobile Phhtt

R2   3  Hughie Wallace  (Good chance in an open field, and has beaten the hotpot before)                         ------

R3   5  Jolimont  ( Heading to open class hopefully)                                                                                        1rst $1.60

R4   11  Frisco Bay  ( Long shot , but not the worst, and really a hunch)                                                         -----

R5    6  All Cashed Up  ( Should double up)                                                                                                       2nd

R6   6  Ruby Roe  (Has beaten the fav before , depends on the run from the draw, and whether she handles this way around, but shows any amount of ability, and I like Nathan as a trainer)                                                                                               3rd. ( Brilliant run from way back )

R7   1    Chase A Dream  ( Drop on Cold Chisel from the draw)                                                                     ---    Purdon got caught that time, but Nathan on fire . 

R8   5     Old Town Road   ( One of my fav horses ,but does have some niggles and they may take it easy on him, but class should prevail)

1rst    $1.30

R9   6     Inasinglemoment  (Going places this trotter and my BB)                                                              1rst  $2.10

Wins 3  Seconds 1  Thirds 1  Spent $100  Return  $71   Loss $29  Double up on BB.

Races 105   Wins  25   Seconds  19   Thirds  23

Overall Loss $42. 

Edited by Globederby19

Just a quick note, for anyone watching. I do my initial assessments first, and then go over them a second time a while later ,taking into account a whole raft of permutations, and trying to find value where I can instead of favs, and still maintain some sort of return.   I have been caught on numerous occasions  of late ,changing my mind and getting stung. Tonight it was Hughie Wallace instead of my original pick Luby Lil. Yesterday it was two  changes , Johnny Who for Jocas Hill(1rst) and Baileys Pitch for Molly Belwin(1rst), the first night at Palmy it was Million Dollar Chic for Apple Of My Eye (1rst). Thats racing of course, but might tweak it next time around and go each way instead of win only. 👍

12 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Just a quick note, for anyone watching. I do my initial assessments first, and then go over them a second time a while later ,taking into account a whole raft of permutations, and trying to find value where I can instead of favs, and still maintain some sort of return.   I have been caught on numerous occasions  of late ,changing my mind and getting stung. Tonight it was Hughie Wallace instead of my original pick Luby Lil. Yesterday it was two  changes , Johnny Who for Jocas Hill(1rst) and Baileys Pitch for Molly Belwin(1rst), the first night at Palmy it was Million Dollar Chic for Apple Of My Eye (1rst). Thats racing of course, but might tweak it next time around and go each way instead of win only. 👍

Your doing well Rees,keep it up. And yip,i reckon Jollimont will get too open class with no worries. He's definitely with one of the best trainers going around.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Cambridge  21-3-24

R1  3  Commander Lincoln  (Good chance in even field)                                                     2nd 

R2  7  Lovemeagain     ( Has shown considerable ability, and must go close again)         1rst   $2.90

R3   6  Potter                  ( Has quick gate speed , and a Sweet Lou)                        a very disappointing weak effort

R4   1  Lenny Lincoln     (Carried a flat tyre last time , good chance off the ace and Zac up)  1rst   $3.80

R5    7  Royal Action      ( Must trot all the way, but capable of taking this out)                         4th

R6   5   Cyren Shard     (Value bet, broke on the mobile in the slush last time, sticking with it)  4th

R7  4  Precious Bet       (Progressive sort, and 3rd up from the Telfer barn)                                   4th

R8   1  Bigger The Bettor  ( Must be in this from the draw, after wide draws the last couple)       3rd

Disappointing end to the night.

Wins 2  Thirds 1  Spent  $80   Return  $67  Loss  $13

Total Races 113  wins 27  2nds  19  3rds 24 

Overall loss  $55

Cant find a BB

Edited by Globederby19

Posted (edited)

Alex Park 22-3-24

R1  7  All Cashed Up  ( Xtra distance suits and should be thereabouts)                                                     1rst  $3.30

R2  6  Beta Prepare    (Half to Jolimont, Donnelly Factor , due)                                                                  4th

R3   5  Yourtheonethatiwant   ( Open field but looked classy at the trials)BB                                            1rst  $2.90

R4   9  Jolimont               (Needs some breaks from out there , but class should take him a long way)    1rst  $2.10

R5   2    Demon Blue       (Sticking with after last run, and has draw over favs out wide to work with, Purdon Barn)  3rd

R6    5  Ruby Roe    (Great first up effort from way back, Nathan on fire and has beaten fav)                                  --

R7    1   Cold Chisel    ( Shouldn't have to do any work from here, the favs out wide will)                                  1rst    $3.50

R8   4  Old Town Road    (  Heart says Self Assured, head says otherwise, although a wide field he will be fitter)  --

R9   8  Iron Brigade   ( A nice Art Major, chance despite draw at odds)                                                               4th

Best Bet in R3  No 5. Missed race ten out.

4 wins  1 third  Spent $100   Return  $119  Profit $19

Races 122   Wins 31  2nds 19  3rds 25

Overall loss $36

Edited by Globederby19
  • Like 1

Nice going last night Rees,4 winners. Jollimont impressive again after a peach of a drive from Mark Purdon. I've said it before how much i admire Arna as a trainer,she's got another good one here with him.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Palmy Nth  26-3-24

R1  10  Alana   ( Luk Chin try's his hand at the course with a fairly weak field)   Last

R2  8   Castana   ( Shows promise , must be close in this)                                    6th

R3   8   Morere   (Needs a run from out there but closing in on first win)             4th

R4   5  Xcite Me   (My roughie)                                                                                  5th

R5  3  Carolina Moon    (Arna factor ,good draw , can double up)                         6th

R6   8    Village Rebel     ( Wide again but tightest assessed horse)                     4th

R7    3   Diamonds Are Forever  ( My BB)                                                                5th

R8   2   Rockafilly         (Likes it here, good draw)                                                   2nd last

R8    3    Baileys Pitch   ( On consistency alone and not a deep field)                   last

A pile of shiiite. None in the first 3.                       

Spent  $100    Return  Nil. 

Races 131  Wins 31   2nds  19  3rds 25

Overall  loss $136. 

Edited by Globederby19

Posted (edited)

Manawatu  28-3-24

After some very weak efforts on first day, will change tactics. 

R1    10    President Flynntin                                        2nd

R2    3    Lord Delmar                                                   3rd

R3    1   Morere  ( Another chance after a flat tyre)   1rst  $2.60

R4    8  Johnny Who                                                     4th

R5    5  Franco Hoffman                                               --

R6    2  Cote D,Azur                                                    1rst  $2.60

R7     4   Rockafilly  (blew the scoreup ?, give another chance) dear me.

R8    8 Village Rebel    ( extra distance should suit)   ----

R9     5   Shezamermaid                                                3rd

Wins 2  2nds 1  3rds 2   Spent $90  Return  $ 52  Loss $48

Races 140   Wins  33  2nds 20  3rds 27

Total spend $1222    Return  $1038

Overall loss $184     Some ground to make up after two frustrating meets. 

Edited by Globederby19

Posted (edited)

Cambridge 4-4-24

R1  1     Viscount Mackendron                 -----

R2  4     T Bone Walker                            -----

R3   11   High Step                                   ------

R4   3   Demon Blue                               2nd  (close)

R5    8   Vessem   (Best Bet)                  2nd  (close again)

R6   1     Pandora                                    ---

R7   5    Aye Aye Captain                       1rst   $1.80

R8    6   Merlin                                        1rst    $4.00  ( brilliant price)

R9    3   High Energy   (Long shot)       3rd      

R10   10   Keep it Klassy                         ------ ( Won by Patrick Mahomes at 16,s, who I took about a month ago, at Cambridge in a weaker field and ran 3rd).  This is what they do to you. grrrrr.

R11    5   Billy The Kid                             1rst  $3.30

Wins 3  2nds 2  3rds 1  Total Spend  $120   Return  $91

Races 151    Wins  36  2nds  22  3rds  27

Total Spend  $1342   Return  $1129

Overall loss  $213

Edited by Globederby19

13 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Cambridge 4-4-24

R1  1     Viscount Mackendron

R2  4     T Bone Walker

R3   11   High Step

R4   3   Demon Blue

R5    8   Vessem   (Best Bet)

R6   1     Pandora   

R7   5    Aye Aye Captain

R8    6   Merlin

R9    3   High Energy   (Long shot)

R10   10   Keep it Klassy

R11    5   Billy The Kid 

I thought Dragonstone in the first race, looked good at the trials before it had its first race, so may be one to keep an eye on.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Double R said:

I thought Dragonstone in the first race, looked good at the trials before it had its first race, so may be one to keep an eye on.

You may be right Robert. I like the look of the Volsteads so far (he has 5 winners from only 8 starters) and a good draw with this one , so hopefully. 

Edited by Globederby19

Posted (edited)

Cambridge  12-4-24

R1  8   Pandora         (Wide but has the ability to win this)   Stopped like it was shot. -------

R2  10  Lovemeagain   (Has always looked good)                                                          3rd

R3    4  Betta Prepare       ( Good draw and Donnelly factor)                                         -----

R4  9   Diamonds Are Forever   (Hoping to get a drag through on the pegs, good enough)   -----

R5   1   Vessem                 ( Top field but drawing the ace gives him some hope )                2nd

R6  8  Muscle Mountain     ( Aussies are good but he is better)                                 Disappointing finish by the Kiwis.

R7  5  Faith In Manchester  ( Running good races of late, live chance)                Broke up but finished well ----

R8  9  Jolimont                   (Mark up and 25mtr start on RP)                                     1rst    $2.50

R9  10 Self assured           ( Gets the right run up to winning this)               Still waiting for some luck in running.

Wins 1   2nds 1   3rds  1  Total Spend $90   Return  $25  Loss $65

Total Races  160    Wins 37  2nds 23  3rds 28

Total Spend $1432     Return  $1154    Loss $278

Edited by Globederby19