The Race Place

Not racetracks but railway tracks

Hesi

Does anyone have info on why railway tracks in Auckland cannot handle an ambient air temp of mid 20 degress C, and therefore services are being cancelled due to the possibility of buckled tracks.

I'm aware of the science and engineering and technology around railway lines, such things as the coefficient of expansion of steel, expansion gaps in the lines etc

Surely this has all been planned for with temps in Auckland mild and the range well known or is there something we are not being told.....again

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm not sure, it's get's hotter in Upper Hutt than Auckland and there's never any issues with the track through to the Wairarapa which is often hotter.   Perhaps it's their base they are on, do they still use traditional sleepers and fastenings with gaps ?   The tracks on the Hutt and Wairarapa line have pretty decent gaps between each connecting track piece, perhaps these haven't and joins are expanding together and pushing against each other.     🙂  of course this is just a thought with no real knowledge of the railway in Auckland 🙂   

I would suggest  AT out of control, possibly a deliberate sabotage against Brown

The AT lady on TV3 News tonite may have well said just all you Fuk Off. She doesn’t give a monkey, I don’t know when it will be fixed and she in charge FFS.

AT are totally out of control, Brown knows that but he can’t control them 

Bottom line, probably nothing wrong with the tracks just AT playing politics, sad but likely to be the facts

Edited by Turny

Some old guy rang talk back today and said the expansion gaps had been welded up because it made for quieter  travel and since the lines had no way to expand they buckled.I have no way of knowing whether he knew what he was talking about.🙄

• Like 1

I'd say that is true.   The racecourse house in Trentham used to be right by the railway line, next to the old Trentham Leger and every night I'd hear the clack of the trains running over the tracks as the wheels hit the gaps.  I still hear it now when I'm at my parents place as they are still near the Hutt Valley rail line.    I loved it.. quite rhythmic but I agree if they wanted to stop that, then I think the gaps would be minimised.

Edited by Dancing Show