The Race Place

Opie Bosson moving to Aus?

Hesi

GROUP 1 RACING

Tofane snatches All Aged fairytale finish from Pierata

Tofane snatches All Aged fairytale finish from Pierata
Tofane battles with Pierata. Photo: Steve Hart.
Mitch Cohen Article Author
Mitch Cohen4:39PM18 April 2020
11 Comments

Kiwi hoop Opie Bosson capped off his Aussie stint in style when arriving right on time on Tofane to salute in Saturday’s Group I All Aged Stakes (1400m) at Randwick.

The Michael Moroney-trained sprinter only led in her final stride but that’s when it mattered most as he gunned down the retiring Pierata at the post.

Pierata looked set to go back-to-back in the race he won his maiden Group I in 12 months ago.

But Tofane knuckled down late to deny Greg Hickman’s star his fairytale finish in her last bound to provide Bosson with another Group I for his Sydney autumn stint.

“I wasn’t sure if I won or not, I didn’t find out until I saw the screen when I got back,” Bosson said.

“Not much is happening back home at the moment, so it’s good to be here and good to get a few results.

“I go back on Tuesday and then we have to have a bit of a discussion to see whether we move the family back to Australia or not, I’ve got a few things to sort out first.”

I think he has proven himself to a lot of people in Aus the last few weeks, so I would say a foregone conclusion unfortunately.

This Covid situation will be the last straw, plus the way the top heavy racing in NZ has been allowed to be dragged out, the Messara report was released 20 months ago.

His wife Emily is an accomplished thoroughbred presenter, so should have no trouble finding work in Aus

• Like 1

Racing: Opie Bosson eyes move to Australia after sensational season continues at Randwick

19 Apr, 2020 3:30pm
 3 minutes to read
Opie Bosson and Tofane (right) get up to to win the A$480,000 All Aged Stakes at Randwick on Saturday. Photo / Bradley Photos
Opie Bosson and Tofane (right) get up to to win the A$480,000 All Aged Stakes at Randwick on Saturday. Photo / Bradley Photos
NZ Herald

By: Michael Guerin

Champion jockey Opie Bosson looks set to be lost to Australia after yet another Group 1 success in Sydney.

Bosson continued a remarkable strike rate across the Tasman this season when he lifted New Zealand-bred mare Tofane to win the A$480,000 All Aged Stakes at Randwick on Saturday.

Premium gold

It was his fourth Group 1 win in Sydney in seven weeks and fifth in Australia for the season, which would be a great tally for any leading jockey based there, let alone one based in another country.

Bosson has spent the last month in Sydney, unable to commute because of the travel restrictions, and has had good support from local trainers which has boosted his enthusiasm for a longer stay in Australia.

"I am keen to give it a go here," says the 39-year-old.

"It has gone really well and obviously there is a lot of uncertainty back home. And of course the money is a lot bigger here too."

Bosson flies home this week, where he will have to spend time in isolation during which he will consider his options.

It is not as simple as packing a bag and moving, as Bosson and his wife Emily own a farm which would need to be managed, while Emily is the brightest young talent on racing's Trackside television channel but is also sought after by Australian broadcasters. The couple also have a young son, Max.

On a professional level Bosson, who has a cult following among New Zealand punters, is the retained number one jockey for racing behemoth Te Akau, which provides as much financial stability as anybody in New Zealand racing could possibly hope for.

"I need to have a good talk to David (Ellis, Te Akau boss) when I get home. So there are a few things up in the air at the moment but I am keen to try Australia full-time," says Bosson.

"But whether that might just last for the winter, I don't know."

Ellis is supportive of any move Bosson may make and confirmed to the Herald that Te Akau has applied for 12 stables at Flemington to set up a base for their Australian raids.

Three of the stable's Group 1 winners - Melody Belle, Te Akau Shark and Probabeel - are spelling in Australia and look certain to do the majority if not all of their racing next season there.

"We have had a lot of success with satellite stables in both Singapore and Christchurch and want to give ourselves an option in Australia," said Ellis.

"And that isn't just in Victoria. You look at New South Wales and see what maidens can race for there in provincial areas, and they are worth investigating too."

Te Akau has won over $7 million in stakes this season divided into $3.8 million here and $3.2 million across the Tasman.

While he still has huge plans for Te Akau's New Zealand operation Ellis says he is disappointed with the lack of direction being provided by those running the industry around the resumption of racing and its future.

Good on them.  Only surprise is that it took them so long. 

Opie too.   For mine, he has, as times, looked a little 'out thought'  tactically,  against their best...but not now.

He's a class act and deserves to be recognized as such further afield. 

• 4 weeks later...

NO

Bosson Stays with Te Akau

Te Akau Racing can confirm that stable rider Opie Bosson has been retained as the stable’s number 1 rider for the new 2020/21 season.

Te Akau Principal David Ellis said:

“Opie and Te Akau go back a very long way – he started working with us when he was 14. He is a truly gifted rider, with beautiful balance and the best instinct you will see. His record again this season in the “Te Akau tangerine” has been phenomenal, riding nine of our 11 Group 1 winners – including Te Akau Shark, Melody Belle, Avantage, Probabeel and Cool Aza Beel. These elite wins coming in both New Zealand and Australia.

“Our trainer Jamie Richards leads the NZ Trainers’ Premiership (99 wins) and the combination of Jamie with Opie has proven formidable. They work so well together and the results they achieve speak for themselves.”

Te Akau trainer Jamie Richards added:

“Opie is such an asset to the team – obviously on race day as he is in a class of his own. His feedback from track work and trials is invaluable, he just has such a unique feel of where each horse is at. ”

Opie Bosson says:

“I definitely strongly considered re-locating to Australia for the new season. However I have been to Te Akau Stud and the Matamata stable and after seeing the quality of yearlings David (Ellis) has bought, and also seeing how the older horses had spelled – I wanted to be part of the future success I know is coming. The talent the stable has just blew me away.”

“I also really enjoy working with Jamie – he’s a freak of a trainer who understands a horse better than anyone I know.”

TRC Global Rankings* place Jamie Richards as No.9 on the world trainer rankings, with Opie Bosson at No.12 on the world jockey table.

*TRC Global Rankings are the world’s only rankings of sires, jockeys, owners and trainers. They are based entirely on the quality of performance of each individual’s runners.

bosson%20opie%208432.jpgNew Zealand jockey Opie Bosson. Photo: Trish Dunell

NZ lifestyle too alluring for Bosson

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter
NZ Racing Desk
18 May 2020

There’s nothing like the green pastures of home and leading New Zealand jockey Opie Bosson can attest to that.

The ace hoop is back on his Pukekawa farm after a successful autumn campaign in Sydney and he said he is enjoying being back out in the fresh air and open spaces after living in an apartment over the carnival period.

“It’s good to catch-up on a few things, I am keeping busy anyway,” he said. “It’s great to be back out in the fresh air.

“I am busy on the farm most of the day, whereas in Sydney I had to make sure I went for a run or walk every single day and it was a little bit boring living in an apartment.”

Bosson’s confined living quarters were escalated when he returned to Auckland and had to undergo a fortnight of quarantine in a hotel room as a result of COVID-19 travel restrictions.

“It was very boring, I was there for two weeks and I only went for a walk twice,” he said.

“You had to book to go for a walk and there were so many people so you could only go once every two or three days.

“If you didn’t get up early enough and go book, you missed out. I just watched TV and that was about it really.”

While Bosson was contemplating a more permanent shift across the Tasman to see out his riding career, Te Akau’s retained jockey admitted the rural lifestyle was too alluring.

“I had a meeting with David (Ellis, Te Akau Principal) last Thursday and we both agreed that I will stay on for another year,” he said.

“It was tempting (to move to Australia), but I really missed the farm. If I didn’t have the farm or Te Akau I would definitely have gone.

“We enjoy the lifestyle of farming and the horses at Te Akau that we have got coming up look quite exciting.”

With Te Akau set to have a strong team based in Melbourne this spring, Bosson will likely spend plenty of time across the Tasman, but he said his focus will initially be closer to home.

“We will be concentrating here first anyway and go from there,” he said.

Reflecting on an impressive season, Bosson said there were plenty of highlights and he is particularly looking forward to being reacquainted with Group One-winning juvenile Cool Aza Beel next season.

“Winning the two Group Ones (Surround Stakes with Probabeel, and Chipping Norton Stakes with Te Akau Shark) on the same day over in Sydney was probably my highlight, along with the Karaka Million two-year-old and three-year-old races, and winning the two Group Ones at Ellerslie (Sistema Stakes with Cool Aza Beel, and the Bonecrusher New Zealand Stakes with Avantage),” Bosson said.

“I am looking forward to hopping back on Cool Aza Beel. Hopefully he makes the step from being a nice two-year-old to a three-year-old, I am pretty sure he will though.”