The Race Place

I'm thinking of having a check up

Hesi

Why?

I actually agree with something Thommo says

Trainers not talking to the media, and the suggestion that the the only people they are responsible to, is their owners.

Archaic and misguided thinking, and all very quaint, but unacceptable in a professional operation.  Imagine if coaches, trainers etc etc in all these other professional sports refused to talk the press.  Punters want info, and whatever comes from a trainer is part of it

Everyone in the racing industry is ultimately responsible to their end customers, dare I say it, the punter.  Where else does all the money come from for stakes, that ultimately filters through to all aspects of the industry including breeding

• Like 1

It's a little bit different given a sporting club trainer is an appointment to the club board etc. A horse trainer is just a profession akin to being a plumber or a sparkie. You wouldn't necessarily want all of the people in those professions fronting up to talk about what they are doing etc etc. If it became a rule of racing requiring public relations work, then many might just say to hell with that.

5 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Is it written into the contracts of various sporting trainers, that they must front the media as required?

For sure. As I say, that is part of their job description. If it became part of the trainers job description, some might walk away. Who knows. Currently, they have no obligation to talk to the media.

The same with becoming a registered builder. If they had to front the media, some might not sign up to be a registered builder. 

Edited by mardigras

I'm not saying that there isn't a place for trainers to speak to media. I'm suggesting it is an entirely different thing they have signed up for compared to what 20 odd people have signed up to do in varying sports such as NRL. And many trainers are simply more likely to damage the sport than enhance it.

8 minutes ago, Hesi said:

This 'looseness' if I could call it that, is part of the reason racing in NZ is in the decline

Everyone does what suits them, with no formal obligation towards the industry

I disagree. I don't think whether trainers or jockeys talk to media or not has a single impact to the industry. Do you punt based on whether or not you  hear their views? Either before or after a race? Do you think a person gets interested in racing as a result of hearing trainers or jockeys talking? I mean, have you actually listened to these people. Talk about repetitive bullshit. 

Edited by mardigras

7 minutes ago, mardigras said:

I disagree. I don't think whether trainers or jockeys talk to media or not has a single impact to the industry. Do you punt based on whether or not you  hear their views? Either before or after a race? Do you think a person gets interested in racing as a result of hearing trainers or jockeys talking? I mean, have you actually listened to these people. Talk about repetitive bullshit. 

That's another issue altogether.  Perhaps if they talked with a bit more sense, people might take note.

Remember, you're a pro Mardi, a lot of the average punters like to hear what trainers have to say

• Like 1

The issue for me is that it is using/requiring a skill from a lot of people to do something many of them simply don't have. Whereas that skill of a sports club trainer is part of the recruitment process and ultimately they are often more a figurehead than anything else. And that is the case with some trainers as well. But not all. In an industry where you have a very large spread of people doing something as part of an industry, not all of them are going to be suitable for fronting up to media if that 'segment' is designed to be positive for the industry.

Promoting the industry should use other means. It is very easy for trackside to know who is happy to talk with them. That can make the entire presentation seamless. Not talking to trainer a or jockey b is not major. Many might prefer to hear from losing trainers/jockeys anyway. But surely a supposed professional organisation can deal with that to the point where the viewers don't even know that someone wasn't going to talk with them.

Imagine if Chris Waller decided to shun the media after Winx’s wins

Lets say Te Akau Shark wins the Foxbridge they interview the trainer and ask him where to next for TAS he replies he will race in the Tarzino next before heading to Aus, that gives the general public a chance to say why don’t we head to Hawkes Bay in a couple of weeks to watch TAS run.

Imagine after Winx won her very last race and the Journo asked Chris well that must be a relief and Chris replied who the fark are you to speak to me I don’t have an obligation to speak to you  

Journo then replies but Chris all these fans are here to see your mare Chris then replies  I don’t have an obligation to the fans only the owners

Promoting the horse and his stable in the Winx case is probably part his obligation to owners but as mardi says it's not an essential skill for all trainers.

I had a funny moment some years back when I was training a couple. My employer issued a memo saying that under the code of conduct staff could not talk to the media on any topic without management approval. At the track the next morning, hop off after a gallop and the clocker walks up and says "that was a nice piece of work, where are you lining him up ?"  I said sorry, I can't talk to you about that!

Just now, VC! said:

Imagine if Chris Waller decided to shun the media after Winx’s wins

Two things there.

1. Who would actually care?

2. Chris Waller runs an operation where he is the figurehead. He has a multitude of staff working for him. That framework allows him to be suitably skilled for fronting the media.

Not all trainers have that luxury or ability. I can understand the frustration but if the trainer was someone who could barely string two words together - do you think that helps or hinders the sport if they then front the media.

Some actually like the limelight, others perhaps not. Try and keep David Hayes or Waller away. Difficult. Other's not so hard. With those guys, it's all a part of their business model. 

7 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Two things there.

1. Who would actually care?

2. Chris Waller runs an operation where he is the figurehead. He has a multitude of staff working for him. That framework allows him to be suitably skilled for fronting the media.

Not all trainers have that luxury or ability. I can understand the frustration but if the trainer was someone who could barely string two words together - do you think that helps or hinders the sport if they then front the media.

Some actually like the limelight, others perhaps not. Try and keep David Hayes or Waller away. Difficult. Other's not so hard. With those guys, it's all a part of their business model. 

1) Winx’s fans would probably be interested 

2) Agree

It was like when they used to try and engage Jack Denham 

I think like you said previously they would/should know who is approachable 

• Like 1

FWIW, I'm with Mardi on this ....Waller/Winx situation completely different from Cooksley and a no-note Ruakaka meeting. BUT if Cooksley was the sole trainer of Winx, I'd expect him to front at some stage or delegate a stable rep ... common sense should prevail.

Edited by Maximus

7 minutes ago, VC! said:

Debbie Kepitis

was thinking of her the other day when the Saudis announced the $20M race...mebbe Debbie on the phone to Chris saying "what do you think, if she's safely in foal to I Am Invincible, we could snaffle a quick $10M...

Edited by Maximus
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Maximus said:

was thinking of her the other day when the Saudis announced the $20M race...mebbe Debbie on the phone to Chris saying "what do you think, if she's safely in foal to I Am Invincible, we could snaffle a quick $10M...

The good thing for the journo you won’t have to find her she’ll find you.

On second thoughts maybe not such a good thing

• Like 1