The Race Place

Cambridge today

mardigras

9 hours ago, mardigras said:

I would expect NZTR would be doing what they can to drive their own customer attraction for the ultimate benefit of the clubs etc, the spinoff being that the TAB may generate extra revenue as a result.

The TAB should be driving customers for their own business, to generate the maximum revenue for that business.

Therein lies the problem.  How much do you think NZTR should be spending on that as a % of their business.

I can recall, when I worked in the corporate world, 7-8% of turnover was allocated to marketing including social media now, to enable the business to compete with all the other businesses that were after market share

22 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Therein lies the problem.  How much do you think NZTR should be spending on that as a % of their business.

I can recall, when I worked in the corporate world, 7-8% of turnover was allocated to marketing including social media now, to enable the business to compete with all the other businesses that were after market share

I don't think it should just be around marketing. It should be about product improvement, product integrity, innovation etc, marketing being only one area where they can work to attract customers.

And at the moment, I'd say their biggest issue is that they have a shit product to promote, so excessive marketing of something that is shit, is money poorly spent.

Edited by mardigras

Absolutely, that was always one of the golden rules, if you are going to spend millions on a marketing campaign, make sure your product was the best you could make it, and a lot of work went into that

Also the ongoing integrity and quality of your product.  

Having watched the racing scene for many years, Racing and Marketing are mutually exclusive.  Recall how badly they did Triple Trio

4 minutes ago, Midnight Caller said:

From a punting perspective, surely common sense  tells you not to touch AW tracks(especially  new ones)until they have "bedded in" and you have at least 12months form etc.

Yep, I haven't had a bet on it as I prefer to wait for more info, although I tend to do similar with any track I don't have info for.

11 minutes ago, Midnight Caller said:

From a punting perspective, surely common sense  tells you not to touch AW tracks(especially  new ones)until they have "bedded in" and you have at least 12months form etc.

You're talking about the 2% of astute punters, the other 98% just pile in anyway

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, barryb said:

Hesi, I have piled in and I am bloody happy so far.

Got Alegre at $16 yesterday  & Champagne Princess on the first day at $41.

Tracks and track conditions don't matter a toss for me, the tempo and running is sitting up so far as I would expect so absolutely no reason for me to not bet on it.

I'm not betting on it but not because of things like condition. More that I prefer to see demonstrated ability of horses is largely unaffected by the varying surface before getting too much involved. That's harder for me to measure in the short term. For me, I have no issue betting on Ballarat on Pakenham AWTs even though there are a number of people that don't like them.

2 hours ago, barryb said:

Tracks and track conditions don't matter a toss for me, the tempo and running is sitting up so far as I would expect so absolutely no reason for me to not bet on it.

Fair enough Barry, being in the black is all that matters.I am just going on  the experience of the Northern Hemisphere I have seen when clubs have laid new all weather type tracks,which usually need 6/12 months to get a line on the form! Don't  get me wrong,  there is plenty of money to be made on the all weather tracks,with plenty of punted horses landing  the money.Research is king!

All the best

2 hours ago, barryb said:

I find people tend to join the dots how it suits them, to satisfy their own ulterior motives

33 minutes ago, barryb said:

Are you referencing me here? or trainers or who? 

I am guessing you have made a poor choice of words regardless.

Not you at all, my comment was in reference to those(not on this channel) that never agreed with the installation of AWT's on principle, and funnily enough now find all sorts of excuses why they won't bet on them