The Race Place

Controversy Corner - Peter V'Landys

Hesi

Always watch this, some tough judges and hard markers on this.

Last night, they were commenting on Peter V'Landy's appointment as Australian Rugby League Commision head.

Everyone was glowing in their praise for this guy, plus checking the media this morning, all the commentators are positive about it

Phil Rothfield made the comment related to racing, that he had raised stakes in NSW country racing from A$5,000, to $22,500.

Now looking at those figures, couldn't help make me think, that this is what NZ Racing needs.

Still bogged down in committees and reports 1 year on from Messara, when the revolutionary steps needed are obvious to so many.

V’Landy’s is an extremely strong negotiator with him on board the NRL will be signing off on the next TV deal with Nine and Fox that should net the game in excess of 2 billion 

The two TV giants will probably push for an extra game which will see 2 extra clubs introduced to the NRL in 2023 most likely another Brisbane side either in Redcliffe or Ipswich and revisiting Perth

Wellington were high on the agenda the continued failure of the NZ Warriors sealed their fate

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that

Couldn't NZ racing though, do with someone with the skill and strength of character, just to effect major change for the better of the industry.

There were high hopes with Messara, but his report, seems to have just got lost in the bureaucracy

It really saddens me to see the demise of NZ racing 

I have a bucket list of 15 things I want to tick off and on top of that list is an NZ racetrack crawl, not for the punting aspect more for the oasis of serenity amidst the beautiful scenery that NZ has to offer and faaaark me what do they plan on doing start closing some of the tracks down 

I’m not sure what they can do, or whom can raise the titanic 

Why don’t they take a leaf out of V’Landys new race the Everest slot holders had to commit to 3 years at a cost of 600k a slot (1.8 million)

NZ could try the same introduce offer 12 slots up for grabs at a cost of 333,333 (1 million) for 3 years 12 slots I’m sure the 12 slots would be picked up pronto, they would then have 12 million in the kitty self funded and could create their own race maybe call it “The Remarkable’s” or “Coronet Peak” right there you would have a race worth 4 million a year guaranteed for 3 years and imagine the publicity it would create 

3 hours ago, Hesi said:

What are the other 14 Ian :classic_smile:

I think there are a lot of people who would like to join you on such a crawl.  A month or 2 off in Nov/Dec, would be racing heaven

In no particular order 

1. US Masters

2. New Zealand (racetrack crawl)

3. Wimbledon/British Open

4. Round The World Cruise

5. Europe 

6. Greek Islands

7. Cox Plate/Derby Day/Melbourne Cup

8. Pacific Cruises 🚢 

9. Australian tennis open/Big Bash at the MCG

10. Royal Ascot

11.Canada/Alaska cruise

12. Las Vegas/San Francisco

13 Hawaii LA (Disneyland)

14. Singapore/New York/Florida (disneyworld) 

15 Dubai/Hong Kong

Some of the above I have already done but I want to do them again

NZ race track crawl in about 3-5 years time fly in from the Gold Coast to Queenstown I had done a draft about 2 years ago it was based around December/January I think it was close to 7 weeks

I would travel North from Queenstown taking in not only gallops but Harness as well when possible and the odd dog meeting along the way on spare days It would either be fishing or a round of golf amateur at both but still enjoy myself 

A day at Hanmer Springs quad biking and the hot pools by night eventually ending up at Ruakaka ..... then maybe a day out at Bay of Islands game fishing finishing back at Ellerslie my favourite track in NZ before flying back to the Coast

Edited by VC!
  • Like 1

1.Watch a Subway Series...Yankees and Mets

2.Watch a NFL Final preferably in the snow at Lambeau Field between Texans and Patriots

3.Watch the TT Racing on the Isle of Man

4.Man United/City Derby

5.Celtic/Rangers Derby

6.Wimbledon 

7.Formula 1 at Monza

8.USA Triple Crown

9.British Golf open preferably at St Andrews

10.Masters at Augusta

11.Drive a lap at Nurburgring

12.Visit Little Big Horn

Wounded Knee

Follow in the footsteps of Lewis and Clark (by road)

13. Europe visiting WW2 sites

14.South America especially Patagonia

15.Cuba

• Like 1

1.  Race a thoroughbred that turns out to be reasonably good

2.  Spend 3 months in England in June/July/Aug, based in a small country town.  A good pint or three most evenings, roast beef and Yorkshire puds.  All the poms that frequent this site will understand.

3.  6 months driving around NZ in a camper van

4.  Same again, but this time Aus

5.  Melbourne Cup

6.  Wouldn't mind the race track crawl

................to be continued.  I did the british Open at St Andrews, NG.  The most memorable thing about being up there, was, it did not get dark till 11.30

On the subject of V'Landys, I probably differ from most. He implemented some good ideas, poorly. The reason things like stake levels look good is due to Racing NSW stockpiling a very large amount of funds for years, along with massive tax breaks among other things. When his short term ideas around race fields started falling well short, what did he do, he looked for another short term solution to his financial issues. Just like NZ with fair tax and the recent change to betting duty. Short term changes which ultimately don't sustain anything because you eventually run out of such options.

He lacks understanding around sustainability and works on short term aspects. NZ may need some of the overall 'ideas', but not the implementation.

And when he finally came up with a good idea, he implemented it like an idiot (which I personally think he is), minimum bet levels. Great idea, totally screwed.

NSW Racing should be happy to be rid.

13 minutes ago, mardigras said:

On the subject of V'Landys, I probably differ from most. He implemented some good ideas, poorly. The reason things like stake levels look good is due to Racing NSW stockpiling a very large amount of funds for years, along with massive tax breaks among other things. When his short term ideas around race fields started falling well short, what did he do, he looked for another short term solution to his financial issues. Just like NZ with fair tax and the recent change to betting duty. Short term changes which ultimately don't sustain anything because you eventually run out of such options.

He lacks understanding around sustainability and works on short term aspects. NZ may need some of the overall 'ideas', but not the implementation.

And when he finally came up with a good idea, he implemented it like an idiot (which I personally think he is), minimum bet levels. Great idea, totally screwed.

NSW Racing should be happy to be rid.

Peter V’landys confirmed to the Daily Telegraph last month his intention to continue to run Racing NSW while fulfilling his duties with the ARLC.

2 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Peter V’landys confirmed to the Daily Telegraph last month his intention to continue to run Racing NSW while fulfilling his duties with the ARLC.

That's sad. Read some reports about how worried he was following the race fields court case if NSW didn't manage tax breaks from NSW gov. All his race fields posturing amounted to nothing and required him to get government assistance or be severely in the crap stakes wise. Sound familiar?