The Race Place

Dominion Handicap - Road to the DH

Happy Sunrise

Great Happy. Be a good lead up race this weekend with runners starting off different metre points. And the favs giving the others a start. 

Read on another thread that Oscar B is out of Dominion. Do I have this right in Globe is part of the Majestic Man syndicate ... ? He was 1 of my favs I followed 😄 Yay he got his Group 1 win, multiple too!

4 weeks to go & altho Sundees Son is the BEST horse nom-ed, this is racing after all. Have to be in it to win it & as we saw with the recent Victoria Cup anything can happen. And the favs can get beaten. Its not over til the winner goes past the post in 1st place!

Ill be waiting til closer to time before selecting my pick. 

3 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Globe is indeed part of the the syndicate and they had Monty Python a few years back as well before it headed off to Oz.

I was. But because I pulled the pin on work, I had to make sacrifices. But, Mark Noonan knows I love my trots so keeps me up to date on all the horses , so Im a member by proxy kinda speaking. We have some nice young trotters coming through so just keep a look out for that Griffins syndicate nxt to a Williamson name.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Globe is indeed part of the the syndicate and they had Monty Python a few years back as well before it headed off to Oz.

Monty went to race but came back and is retired to a large hill paddock south of Oamaru - one syndicate member goes out to groom him and he still comes running over for a pat.  Father Christmas stayed there and just a week ago had his first win for new owners in Queensland

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Enteebee said:

Monty went to race but came back and is retired to a large hill paddock south of Oamaru - one syndicate member goes out to groom him and he still comes running over for a pat.  Father Christmas stayed there and just a week ago had his first win for new owners in Queensland

Oh you are here too Enteebee. Very good 😃

• Like 3

Watching the replay of last nite the 2 horses that closed in, in final 400 metres well, were Majestic M & Oscar B.

Oscar B closed in better but bear in mind he started off 10m oppose to Majestic M 20m.

Overall times in rank order of whole field taking into consideration handicaps. Here are the fastest times in order. Noted Majestic M wasn’t pushed around in final stages. Check this out Sundees Son 1 whole second faster! 

1. Sundee Son - 3.15.6 - 20m
  2. Majestic Man - 3.16.5 - 20m
  3. Bolt 4 B - 3.16.7 - 10m
  4. Oscar B - 3.16.8 - 10m unruly
Edited by karrotsishere

Those standing starts are giving me the heeby jeeby's !   

two favoured runners not even getting going in the race's last night.

Muscle Mountain 'Out of it' at the start. and the other trot fav Regal Attire, had Mark tipped out of the gig at the start. there goes a few more punters never to be seen betting at trots again?  

Already talk about whether SELF ASSURED is gunna 'step-clean' in the Cup too. (after last years debacle with Copy That , etc)

If NOT RUNNING AS HANDICAPS past 10 years why the Hell are they not using the Mobile then ????? to  get them all away safely in the DOMINION and the NZ CUP . 

Sure!, it's 2 miles already , but I think they could handle a 300-400m slow score up ok ??? they're not that weak, AND  would be WAY better. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Majestic M wasn’t pushed around

No he wasn't, but Brad insists on going down to the pylons. Got caught out at Alex Park a few times and got out late to snatch a couple of placings in big races.

No doubting Sundee is the benchmark though, but MM will be back with a vengeance. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

No he wasn't, but Brad insists on going down to the pylons. Got caught out at Alex Park a few times and got out late to snatch a couple of placings in big races.

No doubting Sundee is the benchmark though, but MM will be back with a vengeance. 

Yip well you & ya mates are still IN IT TO WIN IT.  As said its NOT over re Dominion until the horse is 1st past the post. I would not be writing MM off by any means. Especially with trotters, can break up, get checked, and standing start. Oh get stuck behind a slow one etc.

Was thinking you most likely will go to Ashburton Mile, think read today on HRNZ that Sundees Son giving it a miss. Regardless MM hard to get past over the mile. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Bolt 4 B - 3.16.7 - 10m

I thought that was an excellent run first up.

Not everyone would agree with it as it wasn't flashy like Oscar but with a month to go and more racing to come he looks good.

Also, once Muscle Mountain brings his presence to a race things are not going to be easy for any of them during the running. Sundee's Son is no value at his current 1.60 - no thank you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

News from Phil about MM, is that he left a little condition on him so will take a bit to get him screwed down properly, but he will be come Cup time. 

Thanks for the latest update re MM. 

Signing out for weekend.

Will be back midweek for latest edition of Karrots Midweek Round Up 😃

On 10/11/2021 at 3:28 PM, Happy Sunrise said:

All the big guns are set to meet on Friday night at Addington.

Handicaps will possibly play a part but Sundees Son is the fittest of them so should be a great race. Looking forward to seeing how Mataderos goes against the very best too.

image.thumb.png.a06ef91c81e915fd3904f5b4aa74ab90.png

Chief of staff for me.

hj

12 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Liking Majestic Mans chances at Ashburton next up over the short distance with that draw to lead.

He should be hard to roll be off and gone like this won't he

peace out running GIF by Mane 'n Tail

Gotta good draw , 3rd up should be to good for this lot over his pet distance. Blood tests came back perfect so he is good to go.

Edited by Globederby19
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Gotta good draw , 3rd up should be to good for this lot over his pet distance. Blood tests came back perfect so he is good to go.

Surprised he isn't starting fav. Based on its his pet distance & he beat his rivals on time last start & he has the draw. And speed to lead. 

How do they think they will beat him ...  ? Unless this track has a LONGGGGG straight like Addington & Menangle .... If NOT, then not sure how they think they will pick him up in time. 

Well lets see Monday ... 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Surprised he isn't starting fav. Based on its his pet distance & he beat his rivals on time last start & he has the draw. And speed to lead. 

How do they think they will beat him ...  ? Unless this track has a LONGGGGG straight like Addington & Menangle .... If NOT, then not sure how they think they will pick him up in time. 

Well lets see Monday ... 

Speaking of Slick trotters like one of your fav's MM, another Nz trotter you liked at Cambridge just had Australian debut now. MH (Majestic Harry)

After farting around with 3 wins from 40 starts in 2.05 mile rates for 2 years at Cambridge , Brittany Graham from SKY racing knew what to do first up Albion.

Cut him loose!. Roared away by 6 lengths down the back with a 28 second quarter, then just a nice easy jog up the straight , in by 4 lengths cruising. very nice. not missed by the punting elite either. backed in from 8's to 4's. very nice.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well the Road to the Dominion is coming to an end. She is nearly here. Here is the draw. Good luck to all connections & runners. And a special good luck to Enteebee & Globe with MM.

Andy Hall 1 Ft Nathan Williamson Botched things early on Tuesday. #1 draw may not suit. Looking for luck.
2 Majestic Man X57243 Majestic Man 2 Ft Brad Williamson Fought on well in solid sprint on Tuesday. Can step & land very handy. Place.
3 Sundees Son X31113 Sundees Son 3 Ft John Dunn Unbeaten over 3200m and gets big draw advantage on key rival. Top pick.
4 Doff Your Cap 416090 Doff Your Cap 4 Ft Bob Butt Gave rivals head start on Tuesday & right into the deep end today. Hard to have.
5 Overzealous 86X919 Overzealous 5 Ft Peter Davis Honest mare, but win two starts back was down in the grades. Not for us.
6 Midnight Dash 336354 Midnight Dash 6 Ft Ricky May Usual honest performance on Tuesday & is as gritty as they come. Multiples must.
7 Majestic Lavros 217984 Majestic Lavros 7 Ft Samantha Ottley Bit more like his best self on Tuesday. Further the better for him. Upset hope.
8 Mataderos X15122 Mataderos 8 Ft Blair Orange Handled tough assignments with aplomb this spring. May add some intrigue. EW.
9 Vacation Hill X14476 Vacation Hill 9 Ft Gerard O'Reilly Solid 7th on Tuesday but stand start starts aren't as compelling. First4 fringe.
10 One Apollo 9X7075 One Apollo 10 Ft Mark Purdon Far from disgraced in the Trotting FFA. Manners better this time in. Blowout.
11 Bolt For Brilliance 11X452 Bolt For Brilliance 11 Ft Jim Curtin Tough 2nd in the FFA when race didn't quite pan out. Can feature with last say.
12 Chief Of Staff 112236 Chief Of Staff 12 Ft Tim Williams Mid-race work took a toll 01Nov. Added some impetus this spring though. Combos.
13 The Dominator 756847 The Dominator 13 Ft Craig Thornley Stuck on gamely in the FFA. Generally good from a stand but 0 from 2 at 3200m.
14 Tweedledee 6311X7 Tweedledee 14 Ft Matthew Williamson Coped with his first glimpse at the top tier 01Nov. This is even harder though.
15 Muscle Mountain 12X011 Muscle Mountain 15 Ft Ben Hope(J) Can do a stack of work but may need to from this draw. Class can take him close.
16 Woodstone 591400 Woodstone U1 Ft Korbyn Newman(J) Just finding life a little tough in the top grade. Unruly adds to the challenge.
17 Sioux Princess 880780 Sioux Princess U2 Ft   Had too much to do after breaking on Tuesday. Hard to recommend from unruly.