The Race Place

Cup Day Observations.

Addington

In no particular order of importance but

R May whose current UDR is a woeful .1636 has not got a Cup Drive despite having won it Cup 7 times.

Natalie will raise her bat on Tuesday, 100th drive for the season and 

Tim Williams is driving for Purdon /Cullen barn. Who would have thought that was a possibility after all the noise re his departure pre Jewels.

I'm sure other contributors can add to the list 

Edited by Addington
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Addington said:

Tim Williams is driving for Purdon /Cullen barn. Who would have thought that was a possibility after all the noise re his departure pre Jewels.

I'm sure other contributors can add to the list 

The Group 1  NZ Cup wins  (for past 5 years)  and Group 1  NZ 3 year old Sires Stakes (for an incredible past 7 years) domination by ALLSTARS is OVER !!!!!

Mark will probably still Win them both with 'Self Assured' and 'Franco Indie' but must share the Training spoils with Mr Cullen instead of Natalie this Cup day 2021.

Will Natalie take 'revenge' and bring the Brent Mangos trained horse home with the Ultimate Prize ?? the NZ Trotting Cup 

and then say "How's the Cup drought going Mark ?" afterwards. hehehe

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

The Group 1  NZ Cup wins  (for past 5 years)  and Group 1  NZ 3 year old Sires Stakes (for an incredible past 7 years) domination by ALLSTARS is OVER !!!!!

Mark will probably still Win them both with 'Self Assured' and 'Franco Indie' but must share the Training spoils with Mr Cullen instead of Natalie this Cup day 2021.

Will Natalie take 'revenge' and bring the Brent Mangos trained horse home with the Ultimate Prize ?? the NZ Trotting Cup 

and then say "How's the Cup drought going Mark ?" afterwards. hehehe

Franco Indie is the best bet of the day.Self Assured wins if it steps away.MP has the least number of horses in on cup day for many years but still good chance of training  a third of the card.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, richie said:

Franco Indie is the best bet of the day.Self Assured wins if it steps away.MP has the least number of horses in on cup day for many years but still good chance of training  a third of the card.

When the real moneys up, the AS barn sprout wings .      Now,   where is that centrifuge, gotta get my horse up to scratch , --- oh there it is.  Bugger its broken.!

Oh well Mark,  you win.

Edited by Globederby19
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Globederby19 said:

When the real moneys up, the AS barn sprout wings .      Now,   where is that centrifuge, gotta get my horse up to scratch , --- oh there it is.  Bugger its broken.!

Oh well Mark,  you win.

Self Assured is 2nd best bet of day.

Unbeaten from 3 starts over 2 mile.Such a great stayer.The $2.40 on offer is way over odds imo.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, richie said:

Unbeaten from 3 starts over 2 mile.Such a great stayer.

Had the great pleasure of seeing him win the Queensland Derby Group 1 as a three year old thrashing Australia's best horse LOCHINVAR ART by near 3 lengths.

'Self Assured' won all 4 runs in Brisbane that trip (beating Lochinvar Art twice)

As a 4 year old,  SELF ASSURED went over to Menangle NSW,  and again took on the Aussie Champ but finished just a 'head' short of LOCHINVAR ART in the $1/4 mill  'The Chariot's Of Fire' in a slick 1.50.2 . Two greats fighting it out.

Last summer, LOCHINVAR ART won all 6 starts (3 x group 1's ) for $1/2 million in stakes,  but tragically went sore after that. 

So just have to enjoy SELF ASSURED strutting his stuff instead. NZ Cup at his mercy again ?, after smashing it in last year.

• Like 2

As per point 8. on Karrots weekly round up Ill pop this here also, for those may have missed it. Based on the below in bold, I just don't think he will win the Cup. Unless he somehow gets around to lead or trail or during the race midrace moves & ends in 1/1. As below his record sitting parked is only 1 out of 4 he has won. The one time he won parked it was over a short distance 1980m. Some are saying Copy That maybe a run short for this, in a unusual training build up due to Covid (whether he is or not who knows we will find out tomorrow). But they have designs on lead Orange was saying Boxseat. J Dunn has said on Boxseat interview that he most likely once stepping & if getting to early lead, will hand up & take a nice trail. So who gets there first? Copy That does have the draw advantage as long as he steps.

Will Self Assured win 2 Cups on the trot? Formline is faultless. Top horse. Looking at his last 14 starts - 10 times he lead, trailed or 1/1 which majority he won. 4 times parked - beaten x3 parked. By (Copy That 2400m - Spankem 3000m - Pembroke Playboy 1980m) He got up once parked by being too good & rolling over top of PP in 1980m.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Addington said:

Yes i know that but surely the guy can see what a bad look it is. 

Yip hear ya. 

On another note, seeing that the Punters Club is at just over $70k now & climbing. 

Actually thought it would be higher than that over $100k by now. Perhaps set it in motion a tad late. Understand why they created it. To try to get the turnover up. Which is great. 

23 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

M PURDON win !! nothing unusual with that on a CUP day ? 

The 'northerner' did well for Karrots with a 3rd placing off the 30m handicap. She tries so hard 'SHE REIGNS'.  maybe they will start her off the front one day?.

I missed the 2nd race, partly picked him in my selections for comp, due to his master skills in cart, but nothing. Nowhere. Wonder what happened. Will have to check out replay. Same thing last selections comp selected Willow Bay due to N Ras and nothing. I might be jinxed when pick them in comps. Now just up to Republican Party for me to win or will finish on a duck. 

YES she is a lil trooper. And she gave them ALL a start. Great wee mare & nice race she ran She Reigns.