The Race Place

Ellerslie Carnival Wrap

Hesi

Well it's not really a carnival, we used to have a 4 day one

1.  Jamie Richards supreme with 6 winners out of 20

2.  Is Roger James finally finding his mojo again, after 2 big wins today and some nice horses in the stable

3.  That was a poor City Of Auckland Cup field, the Taupo Cup on Thurs for a third of the stake was arguably better.  Formerly the Queen Elizabeth handicap, when horses like Castletown won

4.  Despite the presence of the big stables, still room for some of the smaller players to take out good races, Mali Ston, Whanga Wonder, Montana Mist

5.  That will be the last ride for Danielle Johnson for quite a while.  Off to Kong Kong in May, where she is not riding, and with a broken leg, won't be riding before she leaves

6.  The tragedy that is racing, no better illustrated by Gold Watch and 91 year old Cliff Goss.  Poor guy, but I guess he has seen it all before

7.  The butchered ride of the 2 days.  No prizes, Princess Lowry and Shaun McKay

Max went to Ellerslie today to see what he could see...

Saw some lovely fillies and splendid mares, quite a lot of geldings and a bit of coltish behaviour (mostly from Max his-self).

Saw the ARC make a small fortune off Corona at $10 a bottle ($24 for 2 doz at Pak n Save); Moet at $125 ($54 at New World)

Saw true tragedy with the loss of Gold Watch in front of the home straight crowd; sincere condolences to Mr Goss and friends;

Saw a very well-behaved crowd in both Public and Members grandstands; but when one  shares the elevator to the lobby with a young couple, and Gen'lman Max allows the youngsters to depart first, he did not expect to see the Young Man instantly stride ahead of his Luvly Girlfriend, leaving her to trail three paces behind him.

Saw some good horses but not many; is this an average-poor crop of 3yos, or are the best just not here today?

Saw Concert Hall defeat the poorest City of Auckland Cup field in living memory

Saw Ryan Elliott on Levante miss a golden opportunity to box in Entriviere before the corner and the race was as good as over after that; Entriviere woulda won anyway?

A good day out in relative comfort and spaciousness for a big meet at HQ, but somehow disappointing at the same time with the overall feeling at the end of the day ...mebbe just the Gold Watch effect getting me down. 

MM

Edited by Maximus

1 hour ago, Blind Squirrel said:

Re point 7 - I see your Princess Lowry and raise you Joey's Gift in the second - many fingers burnt including mine who got on at 26's before the masses joined in!!

Victim of circumstance, namely the No1 draw.  On the rails all the way, and could not get a clear run till the 150m.  Rider warned for pushing out Foogayzee at the 150

The horse raced in McKee colours and would have been Sophia Orting's first winner

All in on Princess Lowry

Heartbreaking read, but what has helped has been trainer receiving texts & calls from all over the world to help ease the pain of Gold Watch his mate not being in the stall there waiting for him yesterday morning.

Even Champion Harness trainer M Purdon called him to pass on condolences, whom he has never spoken to in his life prior.

He mentions the horse on that day was not quite himself, (maybe trying to pass on a message via body language - but they will never know).

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/racing-empty-stable-hits-home-for-trainer-cliff-goss/YZKJLXYSQYWZ6MLR66K5Y4FLTY/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Heartbreaking read, but what has helped has been trainer receiving texts & calls from all over the world to help ease the pain of Gold Watch his mate not being in the stall there waiting for him yesterday morning.

Even Champion Harness trainer M Purdon called him to pass on condolences, whom he has never spoken to in his life prior.

He mentions the horse on that day was not quite himself, (maybe trying to pass on a message via body language - but they will never know).

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/racing-empty-stable-hits-home-for-trainer-cliff-goss/YZKJLXYSQYWZ6MLR66K5Y4FLTY/

i thought the best part of the article was his philosophy about looking forward, in life and in racing, "not back: there's nothing for you there" Right on!

Edited by Maximus

7 minutes ago, Maximus said:

i thought the best part of the article was his philosophy about looking forward, in life and in racing, "not back: there's nothing for you there" Right on!

Yes true. However humans are humans not robots, no on-off switch for emotions. Allowed to feel sadness when struck with a loss.

But yes good to focus on moving forward.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 7:01 AM, barryb said:

Noe Max pop along to Te Aroha tommorrow and enjoy a much better day out.

Today is the first time in 25 yrs I haven’t been to Tauherenikau, my interest in going to race meetings has waned thanks to Covid, even more tragic I am not watching a single race today.

Another great day and a massive crowd at Tauherenikau yesterday. Is there any track that can attract a bigger Crowd?

The night before the races I stayed in the camping ground which has been set up in recent years and it was packed. Wow what a fantastic setting. You will have to come down next year Barry and bring your camper van. You are not officially a baby boomer unless you own a camper van  😀

• Like 1