The Race Place

News articles

karrotsishere

Anyone else finding news articles on HRNZ are repetitive & becoming boring AF. Today notice yet another article on horse Moet Shard. Heres another example, not getting at Z Butcher, hes my fav. Its the principle thats the point. 

5 Aug article HRNZ Call Me Trouble Back in winning form for trainer Z Butcher.

4 Aug article Harness Link The race for glory is heating up between Z Butcher & his father.

29 July article HRNZ Strong Book of Drives for Z Butcher

10 June article HRNZ Big Inter island plans for Z Butcher

Have noticed HRNZ especially pump out articles on same people regularly 😴

News flash, there are more than 5 people in industry. Id love to hear from others. Esp the grass roots people. 

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's where the old school Weekly magazine was brilliant. More often than not, it would have a piece on a lesser known trainer, or industry participant, and it would make for a great "human interest" story. 

Sadly, it seems those days are well gone. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

News flash, there are more than 5 people in industry.

I thought there were less.

52 minutes ago, Rusty said:

That's where the old school Weekly magazine was brilliant. More often than not, it would have a piece on a lesser known trainer, or industry participant, and it would make for a great "human interest" story. 

Sadly, it seems those days are well gone. 

You have the secretive 'Harness Xpress' on facebook for all of that. Says it has a website but the link is dead. No mention of how much it costs. Think you have to email someone to sign up for it which is pretty weird in this day and age. Seems amateurish set up despite the articles seeming ok.

Re the North, could of had an article about K Marshall after Hugo Mcquires impressive win. Instead an article again on Z Butcher with Call Me Trouble, also recently saw a video on Zarias somewhere. (Z Butcher is my fav, so not having a go at him), just seems to be bias, favourites & its getting really boring & disheartening to see.

HRNZ writers are fortunate to already have an enthusiatic reader base. If they had to try to attract new readers they simply wouldnt. They would likely lose readers on a weekly basis. 

Back to K Marshall Iv counted approx 6, 2yos who have stepped out in public this year including 2 Young Gun finalists. 2 others qualified showing potential. Things to have discussed were

Hugh Mcquires win. Whether Kyle thinks he will be open class. Is he Kyles best 2yo or is Son of Mac. Why Kyle brought up big (for him that age group). Will these 2yos likely stay in NZ or get sold. How is the rest of his team going. How does he think they will go against the top this time in etc. 

Also what about a story on J Stevens. About her world. How her social media All Mic-ed Up is popular. How her team is going. How her father in laws driving is going. Recall once P Ferguson drove 4 from 4, & 3 from 3 in a row at Alex Park & nothing, no article. 

Re Harness Xpress I once read it. Overall liked articles, but felt they were too long.

Felt they needed a North section & South section within paper, rather than all mixed up together. 

Know someone that unsubscribed due to they felt TOO many South articles in it & not enough North. 

Edited by karrotsishere
Harness xpress not harness Link

1 hour ago, Gospel Of Judas said:

Not surprised! knew someone once said ,had too many North Island articles.

Exactly, which is my point, people are only interested in whats relevant to them or of interest. Hence section it North & South. Rusty is right re articles of less known trainer or participants are good. Or Is there going to be yet another article on maiden high priced Moet Shard...🙄

Speaking of North & South, cracks me up when I read posters eg Davis/Janitor claiming Telfers team as being South. Just because some of their horses race in South. No, they are Northern along with Northern owners S & J Stockman who are professional. J Stockman 10 out of 10.

6 of their team head South tomorrow, including BD Joe, Alta Wiseguy, 3rd young guns 2yo fillies Aardiebythesea, 2yo Miki Bennett, Cloudy Bay. S Telfer saying 2yo Alta M is performing better than anticipated. Top 2yo Lou filly Forever Me is back but staying in North, til end of year. 

Edited by karrotsishere

43 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

What are the odds of open class racing in the North before the Cup?

Next to zero?

Good question. Read ATC are trying to get Spring Cup Handicap off the ground. Based on recent workouts, Copy That, Old Town Road, R71 New York Minute, R72 Rough & Ready. 

Other than that pends whether Hot n T, Kango, Taipo, ChristiansHavTime, Darling Me, Bad to the Bone are going to be at workouts soon or not ... 

Mentioned K Marshalls 2yos in this thread, note Son Of Mac nom-ed Camb, who raced Young Guns final & also 2yo trotter Yogi Son. Lets see how they get on if they accept. Since theres no article to give us the tip.

Re Telfers runners nom-ed also. Maybe due to bad weather, truck or boat postponed? BJ Joe, Alta Wiseguy, Miki B, Waterview all these S Telfer literally said yesterday in interview were heading South today.

Good noms for the Bridge. 

Gospel will you punt on Son of Mac with carpark draw? We both were put off Hugh Mcquire based on draw, but he was far too good anyway. Will Son of Mac be the same ...? Im still deciding. Wish we knew what K.Ms race plans are if an article had of come out lol.

Gee these 2yos of K Marshall are getting a bad run of draws. Yogi Bear also has car park draw. 

Edited by karrotsishere

9 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Gospel will you punt on Son of Mac with carpark draw? We both were put off Hugh Mcquire based on draw, but he was far too good anyway. Will Son of Mac be the same ...? Im still deciding. Wish we knew what K.Ms race plans are if an article had of come out lol.

Gee these 2yos of K Marshall are getting a bad run of draws. Yogi Bear also has car park draw. 

Red hot fav boho. 

On another note, re articles & dont mean to keep banging on so last time will mention, BUT no news articles yesterday on HRNZ & today solely 1 news article on none other than Z Butcher.

Its for a great cause so dont want to knock that & again dont want to knock my fav driver ZB! Its the point/principle. Yet another example of same people being interviewed over & over.  

Yay can stop my growling now lol. There is an article on 2yos Yogi Bear & Son of Mac & on trainer K Marshall on HRNZ. Credit where credit is due 😀

Righto all. Back later tomorrow.

Ps article says K Marshall will drive Son of Mac as "see how he goes" due to "carpark draw" & "being fresh". 

Doesnt sound overally confident, which is interesting & good info for potential punters to think about. 

Found it a bit unusual R Todd was questioned by Stripes regarding his HRNZ article & reminded of his obligations when talking to media.

Had thought he did punters a favour by advising Oscar B was only put in to make up numbers & would need the run. Thought the article was pretty clear, he didnt expect horse to win. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Found it a bit unusual R Todd was questioned by Stripes regarding his HRNZ article & reminded of his obligations when talking to media.

Had thought he did punters a favour by advising Oscar B was only put in to make up numbers & would need the run. Thought the article was pretty clear, he didnt expect horse to win. 

on the money with that post karrots . don't know why they picked on REG

• Thanks 1

Article out today HRNZ on Nods horse 👏 

“Black Pearl has made good progress through her trials and she’s switching on to what the game is all about.”

“Being a Bettor’s Delight we would expect her to keep stepping up and you’d think she would do that going to the races on Sunday.”

“From the nice draw she should be a decent chance of being in the photo

Regarding articles, theres an article on Lincoln Farms with a cutie video of Copy That having a roll. 

At the bottom however it gives Greens honest view. Hes funny sometimes 🤭 

He states what myself, Happy, Rusty think, sad but an honest prediction. Harness Racing in North be gone in 5 years. 

Looking at numbers in South recently, I prob wouldnt put South too far behind or at least have only mini-meeting like Palmerston North has.

13 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Looking at numbers in South recently, I prob wouldnt put South too far behind or at least have only mini-meeting like Palmerston North has.

The fields will increase soon.

HRNZ have tapped the winter horse population dry over winter all for turnover which they don't even publish anymore. Wonder why. Gutless and hiding the fact it will be low. The way the punters have cleaned up on the fixed odds plunges recently they could almost be losing money.

Addington twice a week for 2 months is boring. 

“I think we’re doomed in Auckland. Harness racing could be extinct in the north in five years. We’ve been on a slippery slope for so long and breeders have been treated like toe-rags for years.

What has HRNZ done for the north?

“It’s amazed me how many people have had blinkers on and nothing’s been done. HRNZ’s been little more than an administrative organisation.”

They can't even work together to discuss the handicapping of the big races before going public.

Recently announced plans by HRNZ to introduce incentives for breeders could be too little, too late, he says.

Is it enough to stop the tide going out?

“There’ll be an even bigger exodus of horses to Australia when we can’t get races for the good horses. Owners want good horses racing in good races. Copy That can race in country cups over there just about every week - the Kilmore Cup is worth $80,000 - but what have we got here? A shitty $30,000 race at Oamaru.”

Why would Copy That stay in NZ? Maybe HRNZ and it's Aussie equivalent make an Australasian grand circuit?

John Dunn has got his charges out early because they won't win the races in October and November, good on him trying to get the money early. 

16 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Opps sorry, checked TAB results again & Black Pearl winner! 

Congrats Nod 👌

Earth calling Nod. Your Black Pearl is getting all the attention 😀 Even Profit has written an article after win. A positive article by looks. He states a great buy, well spent & included a nice pic of her at yearling sales.

Thats nice to catch his eye in the positive!  

Edited by karrotsishere

On 8/7/2022 at 2:31 PM, karrotsishere said:

Re Harness Xpress I once read it. Overall liked articles, but felt they were too long.

Felt they needed a North section & South section within paper, rather than all mixed up together. 

Know someone that unsubscribed due to they felt TOO many South articles in it & not enough North. 

Yeah they got ripped off. That tells you something.  Hic hic. 

Hh

• Like 1

5 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Earth calling Nod. Your Black Pearl is getting all the attention 😀 Even Profit has written an article after win. A positive article by looks. He states a great buy, well spent & included a nice pic of her at yearling sales.

Thats nice to catch his eye in the positive!  

Thanks Karrots.  That was exciting.  Didn’t expect her to do that 

• Like 1