The Race Place

Weigh In Oct 10

Hesi

It's crazy how the tab go on and on about wanting to stop people betting over seas but don't want to provide up-todate information to give the punter a reason to have a bet, in my personal opinion all the information should be readily available to the punter to help guide the punter into having a wager and maximizing return to the punter.

you actually want punters Winning so they do turn more over the quicker a punter loses his money the less money the tab is making.

On 10/11/2022 at 3:15 PM, Allovertheform said:

It's crazy how the tab go on and on about wanting to stop people betting over seas but don't want to provide up-todate information to give the punter a reason to have a bet, in my personal opinion all the information should be readily available to the punter to help guide the punter into having a wager and maximizing return to the punter.

you actually want punters Winning so they do turn more over the quicker a punter loses his money the less money the tab is making.

I agree that punters should have access to decent information to try and encourage investment. In a jurisdiction like NZ where costs v returns are poor for industry personnel, that desire for information needs to be tempered against the costs of supplying some of that information.

I'm not sure about your last sentence - punters winning and betting more doesn't make the TAB any more money than ultimately what the punter loses. A punter betting $10k and losing $1k makes the TAB no less money than a punter betting $1m and losing $1k. There could be a short term behavioural difference from other punters in relation to that punter's higher investment, but revenue to the TAB is unlikely to change.

The main advantages I see in regards a punter taking longer to lose their money is in punter retention. Punters losing too quickly will likely stop punting and therefore their losses are no longer part of the industry fund.

In the main, more information won't change the ability of punters to win more frequently, it may lead to price adjustments the TAB makes as a result of punters interpreting the new information.

I think the fastest way to slow down the rate of punter losses is to reduce the effective/desired take out. i.e. the tote commission rate and the market % on fixed odds. Punters will retain more of their money for longer, whilst ultimately achieving the desired result of the TAB and still losing what they are prepared to lose (over time).

On 10/11/2022 at 3:15 PM, Allovertheform said:

The TAB want to remove themselves from our RSA in Masterton, but we have staved them off until end of January with an offer to finance part of the operation. Go figure. It would decimate the patronage at the club as many are long time punters, spend a bit on draw nights, and punt almost exclusively at the club during the week.