The Race Place

Synthetic tracks ..

Buller Rep

12 hours ago, barryb said:

Which deaths did Opie cause?, I seem to recall all riders fine & Allpress riding the next day.

Thank God it was on a very heavy track and not the all-weather as the outcome would or could have been very different. 
They say hitting the deck on the all-weather is like hitting a road. 
Oh and isn’t that how they are constructed?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Buller Rep said:

Thank God it was on a very heavy track and not the all-weather as the outcome would or could have been very different. 
They say hitting the deck on the all-weather is like hitting a road. 
Oh and isn’t that how they are constructed?

Not sure how accurate that is, that top layer is 3 inches thick, and made of a mix of sand, polypropylene fibre and rubber, all coated in wax

image.thumb.png.d8e25ca524bb19838d6b76ce1f781f8f.png

That is not an accurate representation of what we have here.

Above the base of porous macadam, there would be six inches of loose polytrack material.

No compacted layer.  

Two riders i know well who have worked on polytracks in England/ Ireland have expressed the opinion that there is not enough top on it.

And I have horses which definitely feel the jar when working fast.  Some are ok but it pays to be aware.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Freda said:

That is not an accurate representation of what we have here.

Above the base of porous macadam, there would be six inches of loose polytrack material.

No compacted layer.  

Two riders i know well who have worked on polytracks in England/ Ireland have expressed the opinion that there is not enough top on it.

And I have horses which definitely feel the jar when working fast.  Some are ok but it pays to be aware.

Martin Collins installed the track, why would they diverge from the standard specification

4 hours ago, Hesi said:

Martin Collins installed the track, why would they diverge from the standard specification

I have no idea.  

Maybe newer technology has altered the older specifications?

It was certainly constructed by Martin Collins Australia.

You only need to look at Awapuni to know it is different the sand is a different color.... much darker.Not sure if that makes a difference but trainers are having to put oil on the horses so the materials dont stick to them when they work on it.

All 3 track surfaces should be the same, if not, then NZTR should be asking questions.  I presume the sand/polymer/rubber/wax mix has been imported from Aus.

This is patented technology, they can't just go changing any of the above.  The process by which they coat with wax will also be part of the patent

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

All 3 track surfaces should be the same, if not, then NZTR should be asking questions.  I presume the sand/polymer/rubber/wax mix has been imported from Aus.

This is patented technology, they can't just go changing any of the above.  The process by which they coat with wax will also be part of the patent

I am only telling you what is a fact from what I have been told...so make of it what you will.

3 hours ago, barryb said:

The sand isn't imported.

The volumes needed made the cost prohibitive. The type of sand required is only able to be sourced from a few NZ sites. The sand sourced for the Manawatu would almost certainly be sourced from a different supplier to the Waikato, the darker colour suggests its local material.

Ellerslie has sub base rock material going in there from South Auckland & also Northland.

That must mean then the Polytrack material is blended here and coated with the wax here.

And a different sand source used for the Riccarton AWT?

Probably explains any differences being noted.  There is sand and there is sand

A bit like when they tried to make scotch whisky in the US

I have to say I am surprised they have used different sources of sand, and it appears that differences in the track properties it is giving are being noticed

Sand has many physical and chemical properties, and these will vary slightly from different sources.