The Race Place

Ellerslie's Strathayr

Hesi

Well done ARC, surely will be the HQ of NZ racing and in 3 years will have all of CJCs major races - just a no brainer and as a true blue totaĺly loyal Cantab will piss me off big time but I fully understand why

We can longer compete down here

Edited by Turny
  • Like 2

Aus racing has no need for NZ racing as NSW and Vic do not get any of the returns from NZ racing (outside any miniscule rights they may have under joint venture arrangements with Tabcorp). The vast majority of money received via NZTR that Ellerslie gets comes from Australian racing betting proceeds.

I also don't see the new track at Ellerslie doing anything special for NZ racing. The same investment on a standard turf track would have done the same. I don't see it as some magic elixir. 

Edited by mardigras

True Hesi, bloodstock is the only thing, plus the odd good Jockey.

We dont learn off them in any other way, too stupid, and there is nothing we do here that Aussie would replicate other than put on the not to do list

Edited by Turny
  • Like 1

But as more and more leave then less is left here...look at the RTR sales...50 of the best two year olds gone to HK or OZ, and how many NZ Trainers were active..2 or 3 maybe ...its a no win situation...it cant be both ways as there is nothing to keep them here no argument for them to stay...zero.Sorry but that is just a fact.I know if I get one good enough to go or be bought..it will be gone..no upside to keep it here.

• Like 2

Many will never leave because they are too well set up here, including other activities than just training horses.

Te Akau will never leave, they are creaming it anyway with their syndicates, nor stables like Roger James, O'Sullivan, Richardson, Andrew Forsman has said he will not leave.

Those that leave, there are others coming up to fill their places, smaller establishments, that look at the increasing stakes and think they can make a go of it.

For someone like me who is not in the industry, looking in, I see what many in the industry may not see.  A wealth of knowledgeable and skilled thoroughbred people, at all levels.  A well established world renowned breeding industry, and a racing infrastructure, all be it many parts in need of attention.

To start from scratch and try and establish that, would be a huge undertaking, virtually impossible.

Ellerslie are clearly subsidising, with money from asset sales, in an attempt to kick start things, and they are to be applauded for it, but it all must become sustainable, and fairly quickly.

The immediate concern is what is going to happen with TAB NZ, they are spending more than what they are earning.  They have been painfully slow off the mark to outsource, and Robertson is not going to bale them out again

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Hesi said:

Many will never leave because they are too well set up here, including other activities than just training horses.

Te Akau will never leave, they are creaming it anyway with their syndicates, nor stables like Roger James, O'Sullivan, Richardson, Andrew Forsman has said he will not leave.

Those that leave, there are others coming up to fill their places, smaller establishments, that look at the increasing stakes and think they can make a go of it.

For someone like me who is not in the industry, looking in, I see what many in the industry may not see.  A wealth of knowledgeable and skilled thoroughbred people, at all levels.  A well established world renowned breeding industry, and a racing infrastructure, all be it many parts in need of attention.

To start from scratch and try and establish that, would be a huge undertaking, virtually impossible.

Ellerslie are clearly subsidising, with money from asset sales, in an attempt to kick start things, and they are to be applauded for it, but it all must become sustainable, and fairly quickly.

The immediate concern is what is going to happen with TAB NZ, they are spending more than what they are earning.  They have been painfully slow off the mark to outsource, and Robertson is not going to bale them out again

Yes.   And you can only sell something once.

And wouldn't it become very boring and inbred if racing in NZ became all about ATR/Waikato, a small CD presence and nothing in the SI.  So, good on the bigger clubs for investing in stakes and infrastructure, but they also need to support racing elsewhere in the country.

Nelson/MacDougal, the leading jumps stable at the time, chose to take their horses to an Aus carnival rather than the Grand National meeting, so we were left very short of horses for that carnival.  How do they think they were able to establish themselves in the first place, via a racing infrastructure in this country, set up by all racing participants over a period of time

20 minutes ago, barryb said:

Why do we need SI racing Hesi?. Very few people in the north even give it a second glance.

We need a racing community in the SI and that can't happen if there is no racing.  Over the years they have contributed so much to the talent pool, both horses and people.  The big boppas that run the industry, I doubt they see it that way, and would love racing to be focused around Auckland and Waikato.  

9 hours ago, Maximus said:

Mustelidian research of the last 5 or 6 meetings at Ruakaka shows that only 25-30% of the races were won by locally trained runners. Cambridge-based trainers won the most.

MM

Go back further when Donna Logan was at her peak, either that or do something more pleasurable, like a glass of your fave Moet

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...