The Race Place

BYO

pete

🍺 BYO is back at the races

Kiwis will soon be able to bring a drink to the races after a Bill to protect this Kiwi tradition passed its third reading in Parliament last night, National MP for Rangitīkei Ian McKelvie says.

“Race meetings are important community events, primarily run by volunteer committees. However, in recent years, race attendance has declined, particularly at smaller regional clubs.

“Many of these clubs lack the resources to offer significant hospitality services, so allowing patrons to bring their own is an integral part of getting people through the gates.

“The Sale and Supply of Alcohol (Exemption for Race Meetings) Amendment Bill, which passed its third reading last night, will mean race-goers and punters can take a bottle of wine or beer to the races at clubs with three or fewer meetings in a calendar year.

“This is significant for the racing community, which needs support from government to continue breeding world-class horses, along with hosting meets that are part of New Zealand’s DNA.

“This law will help preserve the Kiwi tradition of enjoying a family picnic in the back of the car and having a great day out.

“Rural clubs in particular will benefit from this change in law, and it is certain to encourage more people to re-engage with the industry and help to keep our regional clubs going.

“I am grateful to my colleagues in Parliament who voted in favour of this legislation and to the racing community for their engagement and support.

“This is a small change to our licensing laws but is one that many across New Zealand will enjoy for years to come.”

• Like 4

Absolutely 🙂    I grew up taking boot picnics to Tauherenikau under the trees, and setting up the fold out chairs and chilly bins at Foxton, every parking zone was filled with people just enjoying the racing, running off to put on bets, kids finding new friends and going off trying to find that winning discarded ticket..    a much needed change and whilst we still have the aging population of race lovers that can take their kids and grandkids to the races, I think it's a good thing 🙂 

• Like 1

The one place that needs it most.   Instead you can go and drink in their vacuous barns with no personality or in the Members lounges with folk that seem to leave their personalities at the door and try to take on completely different personas... many of them ending up drunken and just stumbling around trying to take as many selfies as they can.    I have not ventured north to Ellerslie in some time and unless my horses race there which is unlikely as they are across the Tasman.. I doubt I will in the near future 🙂 

• Like 2

With the re-opening of Ellerslie in Jan 24, with the wonderful Strathayr track, you would think they could re-organise the picnics and boot parties.  Messrs Ellis and Vela might not like that though, the riff raff, might detract from the upmarket evening lol

No thanks

Exactly 🙂  I don't mind an evening with fun and music but it's not targeted at me currently which is a shame because if they did it right they'd get the folk that would give ongoing support.   Would Ellis and Vela and their children (not grandchildren) go to those events that Ellerslie hosted previously.. no...  so what is the point?   Aiming at one hit wonders... we know how successful they are.   Racing has always been about playing the long game, it hasn't changed, and the long game is getting those long time race lovers and supporters along with their families.

Edited by Dancing Show
I realised I needed to explain myself a little better :)
  • Like 1

Agree Tonka..   it's all so sad.    But if those clubs can band together to make a stepping stone of regular events towards bigger meetings, and make the most of family events etc.  perhaps grass roots racing has a chance but from what I've seen it's hard to get a go in racing in NZ these days unless you are part of a syndicate because the travelling  costs alone are harsh and just the fees to pay between possibly your horse getting a race day start to earn something back is few and far between.       We are not at the same stage of Aussie racing and we still need those country tracks and the hobby trainers, I think that is what I loved so much about NZ racing growing up.

• 9 months later...
On 6/8/2023 at 8:11 PM, Hesi said:

With the re-opening of Ellerslie in Jan 24, with the wonderful Strathayr track, you would think they could re-organise the picnics and boot parties.  Messrs Ellis and Vela might not like that though, the riff raff, might detract from the upmarket evening lol

No thanks

Hesi, I was wasting a bit of time reading older threads and came across this posting of yours. As you have the ability to, can you edit it by removing the word wonderful? 😂

Edited by Buller Rep
  • Haha 1