The Race Place

Positive industry news

karrotsishere

If you google Grimson this pops up.  The blame game, after his cowardly forceful blow to A Russo Brisbane Racing Employee at the Creek Bar after his outsider Swayzee won a Grand Circuit Race beating local favourite Leap to Fame & many male locals gave him lip to his face alleging he is a drug cheat. This is how he retaliates. Hits a man that is being held back by security. Has the cheek to say he is the one that has been abused. 

"Over the whole time (in the harness industry) I have been considered a drug cheat by integrity people and by people in the industry which has led to this," Grimson told stewards. "I have worked hard to get where I am, I started with nothing and then I get abused.

Edited by karrotsishere

On the positive side, a breeders bonus has come into effect, not at the beginning of our season (1st of January to 31 December), but the TAB's financial year starting on the 1st of August, and is as follows:

Three weeks into the new financial season and the new breeding bonuses have seen New Zealand-bred sires win $146,879 in stakes. Under the new New Zealand-bred scheme breeders get 10 per cent of any stakes that eligible horses win. So far that equates to $14,687.90. To be eligible every horse must be born in New Zealand, sired by a New Zealand bred stallion that stands in Australasia. This bonus will go to the breeder of the horse and will be paid out in July next year.

Also starting from the 1st of January 2024, all two year olds registering their first win will get a bonus of, $8000 to owner, and $4000 to the breeder, on top of the winning stake.  A good step forward, and my thoughts, which I have expressed to HRNZ, are that it would be good if all maiden winners could get that bonus, because in reality most of our horses only get one win, if we are lucky, and an added top up would be worthy recognition of our financial efforts.

Cheers.

Robert.

The leading young trainer has slipped over to Aus with Sherlock and 3 young trotters. 

Not sure if that's a positive or not, as you miss seeing them in Nz then , but Nathan did very well in Aus with the 3 mares Amazing Dream, Spellbound and Amore Vita past few years (winning 5 Group 1 's between them )  so should do very well , all things equal. here's the article >>>>>>>

Nathan Purdon is back here in Victoria for the first time since his shift home to New Zealand late last year and has returned with a team set to tackle some of our richest features for young horses.

Purdon is based temporarily with Greg Sugars and Jess Tubbs at Larajay Farm in Myrniong, and with him is four standardbreds who will be aimed at various major targets across the coming months.

Three-year-old pacing gelding The Real Sherlock is here alongside two-year-old trotting fillies High Step and We Can Have It All, as well as three-year-old squaregaiting filly High Energy.

The Real Sherlock - known simply as Sherlock in New Zealand - is a two-time Group 1 runner-up and winner of five career starts, High Energy won the elite level Ace Of Hearts to cap an unbeaten two-year-old season in December and High Step remains a maiden from two appearances at the races.

• 5 weeks later...

Posted about this must of been 6 months to a year ago. Thought at time it would of made news then. But nothing. So removed post.

Word is spreading quickly again hearing same thing. 

Anyone else heard anything?

On another note the road to the NZ Cup has started which is positive industry news? Who will win? 

Edited by karrotsishere

• 4 months later...

Sorry to hear Grimson won NZ Cup. Felt strongly about not wanting that Fella to win. Apologises to those if Iv been vocal whom dont see it as I do.

While Im back in NZ briefly, here is some positive news Iv heard. 

ATC have announced an initiative that they will fund themselves. 1 million dollars up for grabs, spread amoungst 10 races & its ratings based. Great idea & incentive.

Some not so great news a lovely fella from North I know got beaten up while on track. Saddened to hear sickening  perputrators attacked him from behind. Handed his licence in.  Alleged guilty party went for diverson in court. 

NZ HOF hear is coming along with leaps & bounds. Guess an update will be inevidable. 

Hear Republician Party is a great chance to win NZ Cup Next Year.

Hear CEO & Racing/Marketing Manager are leaving HRNZ.

Poster Mike breed & owned, a nice horse figured out who she is. She will win 1 soon. Very unlucky in her 1st start, started favourite too! Go Mikes horse. 

Yes Poster Mike, Chief was Noodlum. He admitted to me in a PM email.

Hear Super Stable Competiton, is super cool,but needs amendements, as goes too long, & heaps of horses at end go for spell. So it ends it being more about luck than good selections

Hope all is well with all. Happy New Year :-)

Edited by karrotsishere

53 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Sorry to hear Grimson won NZ Cup. Felt strongly about not wanting that Fella to win. Apologises to those if Iv been vocal whom dont see it as I do.

While Im back in NZ briefly, here is some positive news Iv heard. 

ATC have announced an initiative that they will fund themselves. 1 million dollars up for grabs, spread amoungst 10 races & its ratings based. Great idea & incentive.

Some not so great news a lovely fella from North I know got beaten up while on track. Saddened to hear sickening  perputrators attacked him from behind. Handed his licence in.  Alleged guilty party went for diverson in court. 

NZ HOF hear is coming along with leaps & bounds. Guess an update will be inevidable. 

Hear Republician Party is a great chance to win NZ Cup Next Year.

Hear CEO & Racing/Marketing Manager are leaving HRNZ.

Poster Mike breed & owned, a nice horse figured out who she is. She will win 1 soon. Very unlucky in her 1st start, started favourite too! Go Mikes horse. 

Yes Poster Mike, Chief was Noodlum. He admitted to me in a PM email.

Hear Super Stable Competiton, is super cool,but needs amendements, as goes too long, & heaps of horses at end go for spell. So it ends it being more about luck than good selections

Hope all is well with all. Happy New Year 🙂

Hope your travels are going well Karrots. 

The battle continues for the harness industry , and yes the Aussie raider Trainer Grimson/ Driver Cam Hart , did manage to win the NZ CUp this time round after running 2nd t the previous year with Majestic Cruiser behind Copy That. SWAYZEE taking the win .

I thought AKUTA was a certainty but had his chance trailing Swayzee into the home straight and then couldn't over-haul him.

The Interdominion was held in December at Albion Park . The famous other BIG race after the Nz Cup and Miracle Mile . 

Our local champ here LEAP TO FAME wiped the floor with them in near world record . Wahoo !! whatta ripper he is. and his trainer Grant is such a Top bloke fully deserving. Better Eclipse was 2nd, with Swayzee 3rd for Grimson and old mate Spirit of St Louis 4th . The best 4 in the series. 

Can't see Republican Party winning the Cup ? but ya never know unless ya havva go is what they say.

Akuta got injured and not coming to Aus for the Big Group 1's on soon . Still sending the 4 yearold though , Don't Stop Dreaming. he surprisingly got beat in the Nz Derby in December,  by Queensland owned Merlin trained by Barry Purdon and Phelan. so might find a few Aussies hard to beat next month if Merlin can beat him.  

On 1/25/2024 at 11:17 PM, Globederby19 said:

Best horse on the day Karrots. Everyone else had their chance.  Oh, and by the way , send pictures.😉

Where is Swayzee now? Hear may not race again. True or false horse was so exhausted lying down in stall following days was scratched from FFA? But doesnt matter as Grimson took NZ Cup 1st place trainers winning $. He must be a millionare by now with all his G1 wins trainers fee, with old average horses.

Not forgetting he was pinged for betting against his own runner when he 1st started training. What did he change? Gear changes & vitamins? That has given these horses sudden massive stamina?

On a different note at Meadowlands Stripes are allowed to test horses anytime at all.  A week out a month out. Whenever, its great. 

Where are these G1 winners of Grimson now after the quick sudden raise as aged horses? Some quick research.

1. Swayzee in paddock may never race again.

2. Majestic Cruiser retired will never race again. Lost form soon after NZ Cup. 

3. Boncel Benjinman has a different trainer, never performed the same after Intedom win. Runs down track. 

4. Betterzzipit  has never repeated same G1 win. Running down track. 

A pattern is emerging.

Who will be Grimsons next aged donkey to win a G1? & soon after run down track, then soon after retire or be shipped off to a new trainer. 

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 11:18 PM, Lightning Blue said:

Hope your travels are going well Karrots. 

The battle continues for the harness industry , and yes the Aussie raider Trainer Grimson/ Driver Cam Hart , did manage to win the NZ CUp this time round after running 2nd t the previous year with Majestic Cruiser behind Copy That. SWAYZEE taking the win .

I thought AKUTA was a certainty but had his chance trailing Swayzee into the home straight and then couldn't over-haul him.

The Interdominion was held in December at Albion Park . The famous other BIG race after the Nz Cup and Miracle Mile . 

Our local champ here LEAP TO FAME wiped the floor with them in near world record . Wahoo !! whatta ripper he is. and his trainer Grant is such a Top bloke fully deserving. Better Eclipse was 2nd, with Swayzee 3rd for Grimson and old mate Spirit of St Louis 4th . The best 4 in the series. 

Can't see Republican Party winning the Cup ? but ya never know unless ya havva go is what they say.

Akuta got injured and not coming to Aus for the Big Group 1's on soon . Still sending the 4 yearold though , Don't Stop Dreaming. he surprisingly got beat in the Nz Derby in December,  by Queensland owned Merlin trained by Barry Purdon and Phelan. so might find a few Aussies hard to beat next month if Merlin can beat him.  

Thanx Lightning & thanx for update.

So who will beat Republican Party? Isnt Akuta out as you say & wont be back in full fitness for Cup? Shame Akuta didnt win NZ Cup. 

Lets put Grimson to the side. 

Hypothetically, put Akuta & Grimson aside who beats Republician Party? Are you thinking Merlin or Dont Stop Dreaming? So DSD got beaten by Merlin. Ok. So are you thinking Merlin? Thought he was a front runner horse? If not who?

Edited by karrotsishere

So hear Pukekohe has been sold. Deposit has been paid. Guess that means its unconditional. Hence the new million $ race meeting in Nov, ATC are having they will have $ to pay for it themselves.

I think new race meeting is a good idea, worth a try, something different. As last time I was here, status quos wasnt working.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

who beats Republician Party? Are you thinking Merlin or Dont Stop Dreaming? So DSD got beaten by Merlin. Ok. So are you thinking Merlin? Thought he was a front runner horse? So are you thinking Merlin? If not who?

They were Strong in the Nz Derby in December running the quinella. so will be well seasoned by November. and tough to beat. 

The 4th horse in the Derby is a very good horse. just For you Karrots , a northIslander, by Sweet Lou , with a lady trainer . ran 2nd to DSD in October in a Group 1 at Addington beating Merlin (who ran 3rd) ... went very well when driven by Mark one day for Arna , and 2 top runs for Zac too.  Only problem is David Butcher best driving days are well behind him and he gets lots of horses beat . including Joliemont a few times. ( e.g sat there like a 'stale bottle' in the Derby instead of chasing him up a bit) 

If JOLIEMONT progresses on , looks a real promising stayer . Early tip for the Cup . (get Nat to drive it though 😁)

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

They were Strong in the Nz Derby in December running the quinella. so will be well seasoned by November. and tough to beat. 

The 4th horse in the Derby is a very good horse. just For you Karrots , a northIslander, by Sweet Lou , with a lady trainer . ran 2nd to DSD in October in a Group 1 at Addington beating Merlin (who ran 3rd) ... went very well when driven by Mark one day for Arna , and 2 top runs for Zac too.  Only problem is David Butcher best driving days are well behind him and he gets lots of horses beat . including Joliemont a few times. ( e.g sat there like a 'stale bottle' in the Derby instead of chasing him up a bit) 

If JOLIEMONT progresses on , looks a real promising stayer . Early tip for the Cup . (get Nat to drive it though 😁)

Thats Globes mates horse. 

Hear some trainers like Lous for their high speed, but others say they have speed but lack stamina. I get what they mean. Still pretty good results & value for $. In States he is much more plus mile racing which suits Lous.

Heard there is a person or 2 off to court soon, oh dear. Hopefully mainstream media dont report on it. 

Hear on good authority, ATC lost an employee unpaid wage disbute at small tribunal sometime last year. Not sure amount but possibly between $50k - $100k. But ATC have put in an appeal. Appeal to be held sometime this year Im told.

Edited by karrotsishere

14 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Hear some trainers like Lous for their high speed, but others say they have speed but lack stamina. I get what they mean. Still pretty good results & value for $.

They doing ok , Spirit of St Louis seems to go all distances.

A very nice Sweet Lou who ran places all last season in the Sires stakes 3 year old races has just resumed racing.

If you can see a replay , check out DANGEROUS race 1 last Saturday at Melton. A beautiful animal. (got put of the draw misbehaving fresh lol 😅) but apart from that , he is going to be winning a fair few 4 year old races this season. I think the Sweet Lou's may stay better than the Captain Treacherous eventually. 

I guess with Leap To Fame , Lazarus , Akuta, Tiger Tara and a gazillion other bold stayers , it's hard to beat a 'Bettors Delight' anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, Lightning Blue said:

They doing ok , Spirit of St Louis seems to go all distances.

A very nice Sweet Lou who ran places all last season in the Sires stakes 3 year old races has just resumed racing.

If you can see a replay , check out DANGEROUS race 1 last Saturday at Melton. A beautiful animal. (got put of the draw misbehaving fresh lol 😅) but apart from that , he is going to be winning a fair few 4 year old races this season. I think the Sweet Lou's may stay better than the Captain Treacherous eventually. 

I guess with Leap To Fame , Lazarus , Akuta, Tiger Tara and a gazillion other bold stayers , it's hard to beat a 'Bettors Delight' anytime soon. 

Yea if I take $50k spend Id go for 6 Lous over 2 Bettors. Much better chance of winning my $ + making a profit. Sheez 1 could sell for $50+ to an Aussie. Then Id still have 5 left. Away & laughing. 

Take Camb results today.

5 starters

2 winners Lou Baby (fav), Sharkies Girl

2 3rds Irresistible, Christoper Dance (fav)

1 4th McKendrick (fav)

Christopher Dance big offers Iv heard. Turned down to date. A $7k weanling purchase, Mandra Blue a weanling $1,500k purchase, the list goes on. 

Cant please some people hey Lightning. So easy to turn $1k - $10k into $50k + easy. Wonder who else was smart enough & has done this ... ? 

No other news from me. Nice chatting old mate. Hope all is well. Beauty weather here. Cooler in Northern Hemisphere. 

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2024 at 7:09 PM, karrotsishere said:

1. Swayzee in paddock may never race again.

2. Majestic Cruiser retired will never race again. Lost form soon after NZ Cup. 

3. Boncel Benjinman has a different trainer, never performed the same after Intedom win. Runs down track. 

4. Betterzzipit  has never repeated same G1 win. Running down track. 

5. Cast No Shadow another to add to list. 

Edited by karrotsishere

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 1/29/2024 at 8:47 PM, karrotsishere said:

Christopher Dance big offers Iv heard. Turned down to date. A $7k weanling purchase, Mandra Blue a weanling $1,500k purchase, the list goes on. 

Boom, barrier draw cost him the win in Northern Derby. 

Edited by karrotsishere

On 1/29/2024 at 7:47 PM, Lightning Blue said:

The 4th horse in the Derby is a very good horse. just For you Karrots , a northIslander, by Sweet Lou , with a lady trainer . ran 2nd to DSD in October in a Group 1 at Addington beating Merlin (who ran 3rd) ... went very well when driven by Mark one day for Arna , and 2 top runs for Zac too.  

Oh yip here you go Lightneing