The Race Place

Kumara Nuggets

Hesi

Could not help noticing the huge crowd on course, and the great atmosphere that provides.

Even to the extent that there were a lot of people picnicking next to the outside rail for quite a bit of the circumference.  

Question.  I presume it was BYO on course, so why if that is okay, is it not okay having picnics, boot parties and controlled BYO at Ellerslie.  Maybe be not for Karaka, Ellis and co would be horrified to look down on the hoi polloi, but it would be a good look for racing.  So maybe Derby and Auckland Cup days.

I presume the same licensing and health and safety rules apply at Auckland and Kumara. lol

19 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Could not help noticing the huge crowd on course, and the great atmosphere that provides.

Even to the extent that there were a lot of people picnicking next to the outside rail for quite a bit of the circumference.  

Question.  I presume it was BYO on course, so why if that is okay, is it not okay having picnics, boot parties and controlled BYO at Ellerslie.  Maybe be not for Karaka, Ellis and co would be horrified to look down on the hoi polloi, but it would be a good look for racing.  So maybe Derby and Auckland Cup days.

I presume the same licensing and health and safety rules apply at Auckland and Kumara. lol

Wasn’t there a bill that went through parliament to allow the smaller clubs an exemption from the sale and supply of liquor act which meant smaller clubs can let people byo? 

Coasters wouldn’t worry about Bills of parliament, they introduced 10pm closing in 1946 ….. we are Coasters

Auckland can stick with their swank wine bars and Corporate folk and that’s why BYO will never work there. Same as CJC.

Opportunity lost and their crowds minimal

Edited by Turny
  • Like 1

Ellerslie used to work well, 10,000 on the infield Boxing Day, tents, picnics, all the Xmas leftovers, a few cans of beer and a bottle of wine, so limited BYO.

The most important thing is what everyone saw with Kumara, it is a good look and people start to put it on their bucket list, the West Coast circuit.  And while the value to racing will be questioned by the cynics, who incidentally have all the answers but no solutions, it at least introduces people to racing, and a percentage (probably small) will go on with it, whether it be punting or involvement in the industry

• Like 3

Yeah it's ironic that a music festival in Wellington is allowed to have unlimited free piss if you buy a VVIP Ticket for $995 but you're not allowed to take BYO alcohol into the Ellerslie infield.

Of course, the answer is nothing to do with crowd trouble or unruly behaviour, it's about gouging on course punters with overpriced drinks.

I went to the infield for years and never saw a hint of trouble although I would concede that behaviour has generally worsened over the last decade.

• Like 2

Price gouging has become prevalent in NZ, charge as much as you think you can get away based on supply and demand and a captive audience.  Have talked to a few small business owners over the Xmas period, and was pleasantly surprised that there are businesses that operate on a cost plus basis

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pete said:

Yeah it's ironic that a music festival in Wellington is allowed to have unlimited free piss if you buy a VVIP Ticket for $995 but you're not allowed to take BYO alcohol into the Ellerslie infield.

Of course, the answer is nothing to do with crowd trouble or unruly behaviour, it's about gouging on course punters with overpriced drinks.

I went to the infield for years and never saw a hint of trouble although I would concede that behaviour has generally worsened over the last decade.

Just to clarify for everyone, Ellerslie's ban on BYO was primarily due to the NZ Police and their requests for no BYO rather than the Club making a unilateral decision. If your entire Liquor license is placed in question then best to comply I would suggest.

• Thanks 2

Also in regard to trouble in the Ellerslie infield.

Three instances spring immediately to mind from my seven year career working at Ellerslie - the idiot who was pissed from his BYO who got in his car and tried to race the field from the 1200m, the man with the machete who threatened anyone who came near his picnic blanket including young kids who were playing soccer and the intelligent pair who thought it would be fun to dive naked through one of the steeplechase fences and were cut to bits and created havoc for Ambulance and first aid staff as they nearly bled to death.

My all time favourite was the four young lads who brought in 96 cans of Heineken as their BYO - no other mates just them expecting to drink 24 cans each over the course of the day.

Just like a calm ocean, it might look fine but what lurks/occurs beneath the surface can be pretty amazing!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Blind Squirrel said:

Just to clarify for everyone, Ellerslie's ban on BYO was primarily due to the NZ Police and their requests for no BYO rather than the Club making a unilateral decision. If your entire Liquor license is placed in question then best to comply I would suggest.

Yes the "Fun" Police treated Trentham exactly the same way.

Destroyed what was once great, especially the after function parties in the members car park.

The tougher drink drive rules didn't help either.

Just saying.

1 minute ago, Buller Rep said:

Yes the "Fun" Police treated Trentham exactly the same way.

Destroyed what was once great, especially the after function parties in the members car park.

The tougher drink drive rules didn't help either.

Just saying.

CJC did exactly the same, oh boy how they must regret that decision

2 minutes ago, Hesi said:

If the will was there at Ellerslie, Trentham or Riccarton, managed, limited BYO on the big carnival days could be achieved 

It would also help if there various bodies that tend to object to the special licences only objected if there was a history of issues with the event rather than a blanket objection. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, barryb said:

Yep, I remember Seddon Park cricket ground in Hamilton when can beer was allowed, we built giant can pyramids & I remember falling over fucked off my head into one & pissing myself. Took me 2 days to get back home. I think I had my back to the cricket the whole time as well as we were busy constructing.

That’s outstanding Barry! 

10 hours ago, Hesi said:

If the will was there at Ellerslie, Trentham or Riccarton, managed, limited BYO on the big carnival days could be achieved 

Agree 100 per cent, tho for mine everyday folk not their target market …. Suggest they look at Mot trots and Kumara it is pretty bloody obvious what is wanted