The Race Place

big money races Saturday

ngakonui grass

I'd love to see someone with access to the data, do a profit and loss summary for a meeting like this, in addition to the new Champions Day when it happens.  So much is being made of these days, the cost of them, negative or positive needs to be quantified.  I realise there will be intangible benefits to the racing and breeding industry that cannot be calculated such as all the publicity

So,

NBR(net betting revenue) tote

NBR fixed odds

Non-wagering income (hospitality, entrance fees etc)

Other income (sponsorship etc)

Less

Stake money paid (less sweepstake input)

Costs of running the day

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

I'd love to see someone with access to the data, do a profit and loss summary for a meeting like this, in addition to the new Champions Day when it happens.  So much is being made of these days, the cost of them, negative or positive needs to be quantified.  I realise there will be intangible benefits to the racing and breeding industry that cannot be calculated such as all the publicity

So,

NBR(net betting revenue) tote

NBR fixed odds

Non-wagering income (hospitality, entrance fees etc)

Other income (sponsorship etc)

Less

Stake money paid (less sweepstake input)

Costs of running the day

That would certainly help make sense of the plan. Even to know the projections for that.

Yep, if these race days are going to be very profitable and increase the popularity of racing in NZ, then fair enough, that is a legitimate strategy and a way ahead.

But all you hear is hyperbole and spin about how wonderful it all will be for NZ racing, and it leads one to believe it is more about empire building, egos and mine is bigger than yours.

Must have taken them a while to come up with the 3-year-old slot race.  I mean to say they could not have done it for sprinters or sprinter/milers because we already have several of those in Aus for huge money.  So, no one has a 3-year-old slot race, let's try that, then we can call it the richest 3-year-old race in the Southern Hemisphere, done, mine is bigger than yours lol.  Too bad if we have to put it on the same day as the Derby and potentially fuck that race, we can still call it the richest race blah blah.

We have already seen the effect that KM is having on G1 races like the Thorndon and Levin Classic, but tough, we get our way.

If you don't think it is having an effect on a race like the Thorndon, then have a look at the field for the 1 mil 4-year-old race on Sat.  It contains most of the best horses from a vintage 3-year-old season, most of which would have raced in the G1 Thorndon.

• Like 2

And the Thorndon was placed on alert last year. The Levin classic under warning and probably a goner from G1 status. It's hard to see why breeders would encourage anything that undermines these races, let alone the Derby when they are all struggling as it is.

• Like 2

I recall they stuffed the Levin (Bayer) Classic when they put up 2 mil for the 2000 Guineas, then the KM 3-year-old race took virtually all the topliners away.  So now it has become a race for the 2nd and 3rd stringers, with the occasional appearance of a top horse.  Great if you have a second or third stringer, but defeats the purpose of G1 racing

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 12:23 PM, Hesi said:

I recall they stuffed the Levin (Bayer) Classic when they put up 2 mil for the 2000 Guineas, then the KM 3-year-old race took virtually all the topliners away.  So now it has become a race for the 2nd and 3rd stringers, with the occasional appearance of a top horse.  Great if you have a second or third stringer, but defeats the purpose of G1 racing

Sad but true. 
However unless that “shifty, slippery” track at Ellerslie improves the best horse will always win the Levin Classic unlike last night. 

Just saying!

I don't think you can say Orchestral was not the best horse.  She was slowly but surely heading Pendragon and Ethereal Star, but then 125m out, just found another gear and went bang, in a way not often seen on a racecourse, to win easing down.  Phenomenal.

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

I don't think you can say Orchestral was not the best horse.  She was slowly but surely heading Pendragon and Ethereal Star, but then 125m out, just found another gear and went bang, in a way not often seen on a racecourse, to win easing down.  Phenomenal.

True