The Race Place

Karaka magic

mardigras

There is always plenty of interest in the sales. And they seem to be attracting plenty of $$$.

I did a check on purchases made by D Ellis over the last few years at various yearling sales.

No warranty is placed on the accuracy of this data - but it has not had any intentional omissions. And of course these horses are still young and have opportunity to become superstars. And also, of the $6m below, 2 of the horses won Karaka Million races (and contributed $1.5m to that total so far).

Food for thought. As an aside, the 3 deceased horses had costs of over $1.1m - for $50k stakes won. I wonder what they were insured for - and do they do that/what costs for that?

What I found most interesting, of all the horses, 31 of them were at a price of $80k or less. (total $1,822,500) - returning stakes of $1,895,000 - greater than the accumulated purchase price. So maybe joining a syndicate on a lower priced buy is a reasonable option. 

image.thumb.png.469730e9da0011740ae5f790d41a5088.png

• Thanks 1

When I had a brief look at it, I noticed he bought a lot around that 80K mark, but interesting that they did best.

You have to remember that Ellis has a number of premium syndicates , with regular members, who for want of a better word, have a lot of money.  The syndicates that want to see big results.  He can hardly go back and expect their support with an 80K purchase.  A far better line is, I've bought a 1 million dollar yearling that I think is one of the best (hence the price) that I think will win next year's 2 year old million.

When I had a look at his fee structure it was pretty good.  Adds a one-off cost of $11,500 to any horse he purchases regardless of price, unlike Go racing who put on a percentage, the more expensive the horse the bigger the add on.

His charges were $490 plus GST per month per 10% share to train etc etc

On the last few years, the training fees alone would have accounted for all the stakemoney won, let alone the buy in price.

If you buy enough at these sales, you'd be unlucky not to have the odd very good one, but the majority are not going to deliver.

12 hours ago, Hesi said:

When I had a brief look at it, I noticed he bought a lot around that 80K mark, but interesting that they did best.

You have to remember that Ellis has a number of premium syndicates , with regular members, who for want of a better word, have a lot of money.  The syndicates that want to see big results.  He can hardly go back and expect their support with an 80K purchase.  A far better line is, I've bought a 1 million dollar yearling that I think is one of the best (hence the price) that I think will win next year's 2 year old million.

When I had a look at his fee structure it was pretty good.  Adds a one-off cost of $11,500 to any horse he purchases regardless of price, unlike Go racing who put on a percentage, the more expensive the horse the bigger the add on.

His charges were $490 plus GST per month per 10% share to train etc etc

And there we go, a Snitzel- Rondinella colt for 825K to win the next KM 2-year-old, the media can't get enough

And I note this patronising comment from Ellis.  Well walk the walk Mr Ellis and support NZ racing.

“It’s great to see the effort that the TAB and Entain are putting into promoting racing in this country. For somebody that’s been working in this industry for a lifetime, it’s such a thrill to see it being run by an organisation that is putting so much back into it.” 

No, he is just running a hell of a lot of syndicates that make TA a lot of money.

I would point out 3 things in support of my argument.

1.  About the same time as Entain announced a 20.80 mil rise in stakes for 23/24, TA were announcing a new set up in Cranbourne.  Maybe bad timing, but hardly a vote of confidence

2.  Compare that to Albert Bosma's comments after Velocious won the KM 2 year old.  We were focusing on middle distance racing in Aus, then Entain came along with all this support for NZ, so we switched focus to support NZ racing

3.  Imperatriz could not even have 1 race this season in NZ

I'm sure Entain have talked to all the players in NZ racing, pointing out that they are putting a lot of money into supporting racing here and that they need the support of the industry.  No point having improved stakes in NZ if the quality of the racing, and yes that includes tracks, does not improve.

By all means race the best in Aus, it has always been like that, but don't forget NZ, people who support racing here, like to see the best race here.

• Like 1