The Race Place

NZTR solutions - appalling

mardigras

I only asked, as about 5 years ago I corresponded with someone at the Racing Board (???? Corban) who was handling all the old film of races from the past.  Apparently, they were all slowly degrading in a container somewhere in Wellington, because the cost to manage converting all or some to digital was too big.

Many famous races in NZ, from when they started TV coverage through till the now digital service on NZTR, probably lost forever

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hesi said:

I only asked, as about 5 years ago I corresponded with someone at the Racing Board (???? Corban) who was handling all the old film of races from the past.  Apparently, they were all slowly degrading in a container somewhere in Wellington, because the cost to manage converting all or some to digital was too big.

Many famous races in NZ, from when they started TV coverage through till the now digital service on NZTR, probably lost forever

The cost of ceasing the SNS rollout was quoted at 4 mill.....so there must be a bit of spare in the biscuit tin  for converting those old films.

A shame that it can't be done really, and perhaps sad commentary on the way the industry thinks about itself.  Famous horses and races like the NZ Derby, Auckland Cup, Wellington Cup, NZ Cup, Balmerinio, Uncle Remus, Veandercross, video footage of such stuff hardly exists.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 12:01 PM, Freda said:

The cost of ceasing the SNS rollout was quoted at 4 mill.....so there must be a bit of spare in the biscuit tin  for converting those old films.

A container was supposedly in Auckland. Everytime I approached ARC for some info on it was given the brush off. However the Auckland club did extract some photo paintings and hung them up in the members. I fear that someone decided the rest wasn't tangibly valuable like old racebooks and was dumped. 

On 2/23/2024 at 11:42 AM, mardigras said:

No. But I don't think Access has a datatype that supports video. Although I am not an Access expert.

Whilst you can store them in SQL, you would have to have good reason for doing so as then you have to manage the format they are stored in and convert to whatever the presentation tool is that is serving them up, as opposed to simply managing links to video files.

All their current video available online is digital. I doubt they are using anything archaic that does an analogue to digital switch between a server and an analog player - and that wouldn't scale up in my limited view of such things.

I note you are not a fan of Access. I use Paradox which came out before Access like about 1990. OK I'm just one individual with no networking required but Paradox like Access is just a desktop app which can be linked to the main server. I use Paradox-Filezilla-mysql-php-javascript plus a few other aids.

The point is if staff are proficient in Access let them use it for internal workflow whilst updating or extracting from the web server when required.

11 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

I note you are not a fan of Access. I use Paradox which came out before Access like about 1990. OK I'm just one individual with no networking required but Paradox like Access is just a desktop app which can be linked to the main server. I use Paradox-Filezilla-mysql-php-javascript plus a few other aids.

The point is if staff are proficient in Access let them use it for internal workflow whilst updating or extracting from the web server when required.

I am a fan of Access. I've used it a reasonable amount. But as a productivity tool.

Do you know whether NZTR are using Access in the way you describe? Where have you read that Access is not being used as the database? Access as a database is simply not fit for purpose. It is not suitable as a mission critical store for corporate information. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

And the age of Access has nothing to do with my comments. If it was Cobol on an old OS390 / CICS with DB2, I'd have no issue. Perfectly capable of managing data. My comments have been in regards to the solution being defined as Access. Access DB is not a DBMS fit for that data.

I guess you'd be comfortable with the banks managing your money using Access.

Edited by mardigras
  • Haha 1