The Race Place

Lowland Stakes/Sunline Vase

Hesi

Why is it poor scheduling? Why is it even a problem? Connections have a choice of running in either a Group 2 or Group 3 nearer or further away from home base, depending on where your horse is trained and whether you prefer left or right handed track, and where you're likely to find track conditions more/less suited to your horse(s).

What would be nuts is to have only one black type race in the whole North Island over a middle distance at/near end Feb for 3yo fillies !
Esp if your filly is on an Oaks pathway. And many decent quality fillies aren't Oaks bound or dependent on a 2400m trip to prove their worth. I know of at least one filly entered in the Vase who will be having a spell win, lose or draw after Saturday.

MM

😧

• Thanks 1

The part of this I find odd is that both races are included in the filly of the year series. I (maybe mistakenly) had thought, if a filly wanted to race every race, they could. And I know they can with a quick backup, I just didn't think it operated like this.

I think in what is always a small pool of quality fillies, two races, same distance (and not a sprint) at group level, 3 days apart - is odd programming.

• Like 1

Sorry,  MM.. I think it's insane. 

We don't have a big enough pool of classy middle distance fillies to do this - maybe, one in the north and one in the south island ( hypothetically)  might be more sensible...but the guineas races have just finished down south, so the structure just doesn't fit.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Disagree with you also Maxi

As Freda said, the pool is too small of black type class fillies to have a 2100m G2 then a 2100m G3 3 days later, as a consequence the Sunline Vase is a poor field, not deserving of group status.  Okay maybe 2-3 good horses might come out of it, like Communique and White Hibiscus

Also in the Lowland, only what you would call 3 local fillies, the rest were all visitors, Ellerslie being a closer track for them

Also in the Sunline Vase, there are only 2 that you could consider having a preference for right handed tracks, the rest either neutral or a left handed leaning.

The whole schedule of races for not only age group, but others classes, is a f........ abortion, and needs to be seriously looked at, with respect also to the Aus carnivals

Going back to my old favourite, which is coming up, an Oaks, St Leger and Guineas on the same day!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Hesi said:

Disagree with you also Maxi

As Freda said, the pool is too small of black type class fillies to have a 2100m G2 then a 2100m G3 3 days later, as a consequence the Sunline Vase is a poor field, not deserving of group status.  Okay maybe 2-3 good horses might come out of it, like Communique and White Hibiscus

Also in the Lowland, only what you would call 3 local fillies, the rest were all visitors, Ellerslie being a closer track for them

Also in the Sunline Vase, there are only 2 that you could consider having a preference for right handed tracks, the rest either neutral or a left handed leaning.

The whole schedule of races for not only age group, but others classes, is a f........ abortion, and needs to be seriously looked at, with respect also to the Aus carnivals

Going back to my old favourite, which is coming up, an Oaks, St Leger and Guineas on the same day!

Agree,  for what my opinion is worth -  I feel that our whole structure needs an overhaul,  and not just 3 year old races. 

But, bloody hell, it wouldn't be easy !

2 hours ago, Freda said:

Agree,  for what my opinion is worth -  I feel that our whole structure needs an overhaul,  and not just 3 year old races. 

But, bloody hell, it wouldn't be easy !

You train thoroughbreds, so I would say your opinion is worth a lot