The Race Place

Greyhound racing

pete

We don't have a forum on here for dog racing for good reason.

I was involved with the sport years ago when it finally got TAB recognition.

It's now a sad sorry mess. If you need any confirmation of that take a look at the comments on other forums.

There's a whole level of corrupt practice going on and some leading players in the industry deserve to be banned for life.

Beautiful animals being used by unscrupulous lowlifes.

They should just close it down now.

11 hours ago, pete said:

We don't have a forum on here for dog racing for good reason.

I was involved with the sport years ago when it finally got TAB recognition.

It's now a sad sorry mess. If you need any confirmation of that take a look at the comments on other forums.

There's a whole level of corrupt practice going on and some leading players in the industry deserve to be banned for life.

Beautiful animals being used by unscrupulous lowlifes.

They should just close it down now.

Agree 100%

What's also sad about the whole thing is that NZ greyhounds are a significant contributor to the revenue of NZTAB. And are subsidising thoroughbreds and harness. Throw them out and thoroughbreds and harness get less. It's like the pokies, NZ racing has become reliant on them. And they are a major issue. 

They got 24.8 mil last year from NZRB(RITA), no idea though how much net betting revenue was generated though, that sort of info does not seem to be available.

I've never had a look at their website before, but Greyhound Racing NZ, seem to have done a lot of work on animal welfare and image in recent times.  Hansen Report of 2017 with 20 recommendations, that progress appears to be reported on each year.

To what extent is the image be tarnished by a small number?, or is it endemic

Pass from me

Reading other sites, a lot of anger, being expressed by a few, but then you get that in Thoroughbred

Justified??

44 minutes ago, Hesi said:

They got 24.8 mil last year from NZRB(RITA), no idea though how much net betting revenue was generated though, that sort of info does not seem to be available.

I've never had a look at their website before, but Greyhound Racing NZ, seem to have done a lot of work on animal welfare and image in recent times.  Hansen Report of 2017 with 20 recommendations, that progress appears to be reported on each year.

To what extent is the image be tarnished by a small number?, or is it endemic

Pass from me

Reading other sites, a lot of anger, being expressed by a few, but then you get that in Thoroughbred

Justified??

Yes, the internal stuff I am not commenting on. But the revenue side is where they subsidise the rest. The pay NZRB costs on the basis of their portion of betting. It simply wouldn't even be close to that. Broadcasting costs etc for greyhounds would be peanuts compared to gallops especially. Massive overheads with multiple large venues, multi presenters, longer lead ins, longer races. 

If the codes had all had to pay their own way for services, they'd be the only code making any money.