The Race Place

Great Northern Steeples

pete

This used to be one of my favourite days of the year until Chris Weaver decided to move the race to September in 2005.

We used to book a table at Silks and it was a great day out.

One particular memory is Kenny Browne booting/coaxing an old battler called Ardri around in pouring rain and 9 degree temperatures.

I didn't back the horse but I think everyone there that day gave Kenny a standing ovation. The horse used to tail out the back most of the time but Kenny managed to have it up disputing the pace most of the way and he simply outslogged them.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, pete said:

This used to be one of my favourite days of the year until Chris Weaver decided to move the race to September in 2005.

We used to book a table at Silks and it was a great day out.

One particular memory is Kenny Browne booting/coaxing an old battler called Ardri around in pouring rain and 9 degree temperatures.

I didn't back the horse but I think everyone there that day gave Kenny a standing ovation. The horse used to tail out the back most of the time but Kenny managed to have it up disputing the pace most of the way and he simply outslogged them.

Wasn't he the fella that also moved the Auckland Cup from NYD to a Wed in March and the Derby from Boxing day to March, stopped picnics and boot parties on the infield on Boxing Day and stopped BYO, then buggered off to help his wife sell mung beans and quinoa, yet missed out on getting a gong

What ever happened to 2 carnivals, now they got none.....of any note

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, curious said:

Falada completed the McGregor Grant double at that 1969 meeting.

Ah yes that was back in the days when it was a 3 day carnival.

A few horses tried the Hurdles Steeples double but not sure if any managed to win both. I remember Brockton running third in the hurdles before winning his second steeples.

59 minutes ago, pete said:

Ah yes that was back in the days when it was a 3 day carnival.

A few horses tried the Hurdles Steeples double but not sure if any managed to win both. I remember Brockton running third in the hurdles before winning his second steeples.

1971 Brockton

2001 Smart Hunter, dead heat with St Avion in the Steeples

• Thanks 1

Name the jockey who, back in the day, had 6 rides at the Gt Northern meeting (Queens Birthday Sat, Mon and Sat). Fell from all three rides on the Saturday; then fell in the first race on the Monday, riding the same horse he'd fallen from two days earlier); then fin 2nd same day in the Gt Northern Steeples, and won the McGregor Grant Steeples on the Saturday. 6 rides, 4 falls in a row, a 2nd and a 1st 

Clue: before 1980

Edited by Maximus