The Race Place

Cricket

Hesi

4 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Ta, they look a bit cramped, but that is exactly the sort of 'intelligent' option a cricket follower is after

The cricket prices can be pretty volatile - so they will change once the day starts play, although these options never get quite the traction/volume of the game market. The game market has matched over AUD$100 million. The market above is at $34k.

3 minutes ago, Hesi said:

When you talk about the game market, what do you mean, all the different random spot options, such as runs scored in a particular over etc etc?

If so, I guess bettors want quick turnover, rather than waiting till the match ends

Sorry - just the win/loss/draw market - so the test result outcome. That's the one with $100m traded on it. Most of the other markets don't get anywhere near that. 

Perhaps mainly Indian money(they are big gamblers on cricket), dreaming on about a win or holding on for a draw, neither of which will happen, another wicket or 2 lost and they will crumble, a good but not a strong batting side, against the best bowling attack in world cricket

14 minutes ago, Hesi said:

I can't understand that, that makes no sense at all

I think the market is largely traded - i.e. people are backing and laying in the same market (a form of arbitrage), to gain a profit across the market. So some people take a position in the market and leave it at that, whilst others are active trying to get themselves to a positive position. Cricket markets are very volatile which makes that kind of approach usually quite possible. Wickets etc change prices quickly etc. It's a bit like tennis where a single point can move the market a fair bit especially in tight matches or when the point becomes an advantage to the non server etc. Or there is a break of serve.

Total drama for the next hour or however long it lasts.  India can't win, but Aus will stop at nothing to get the victory, including the usual gutter sledging from Paine to Ashwin(so good to see that Paine then dropped Vihari) that they voluntarily agreed to quit after the sandpaper test in South Africa

Those Aussie commentators, all former test players, are so biased.  Worth watching just to see them have to suck it up should India hold out for a draw

Just now, Hesi said:

Total drama for the next hour or however long it lasts.  India can't win, but Aus will stop at nothing to get the victory, including the usual gutter sledging from Paine to Ashwin(so good to see that Paine then dropped Vihari) that they voluntarily agreed to quit after the sandpaper test in South Africa

Those Aussie commentators, all former test players, are so biased.  Worth watching just to see them have to suck it up should India hold out for a draw

Draw is at 1.02, Australia at 38s

On 1/11/2021 at 8:21 AM, mardigras said:

Quite agree Hesi. Decision making at the TAB doesn't appear to be a strong point however. Just look at the number of abandoned races on US events due to no investment. There has to be overheads in even offering these events - things like ensuring the event is closed when the race starts etc. Even if the costs are minimal, why offer events where there is going to be no investment?

Where do you get the idea they are abandoned due to there being no investment?

5 hours ago, London Trader said:

I don't think the reason why they are abandoned is important. Maybe they aren't abandoned due to no investment, however they don't get any retained investment.

I expect they are abandoned due to the time they are scheduled to race - but they still put them up even though they refund any investment.

The important part being why have them in the schedule, with runner information? Such a brilliant idea - put up races/runners etc. Don't take any bets on them - and then result them as abandoned. 

Why have such stupid processes?

Edited by mardigras

4 hours ago, London Trader said:

And what is actually worse is, punters can actually bet on these races, even though they are defined as abandoned. What a great service. Entice punters to bet, abandon the race, irrespective of whether their investment wins or not. Talk about great customer service.

Please tell us what the benefits are to the TAB of setting up events that they are going to abandon because they are due to run in the hour or two leading up to 8am?

So I put $1 to win on a couple of horses in the first at Laurel Park this morning. The winner was paying 10s on the tote at close. However, they abandoned the race - in which I had backed the winner. And I got my money back. 

image.png.73f5dc95b8033d762c3949764ef3afe9.png

Great customer service, no doubt.

Edited by mardigras

Today, you are basically betting on the Brisbane weather, showery and it is a draw at 2.08, a full days play and Aus win at 1.83.

India at 14 can't win, score 324 in a day on an inconsistent pitch

Save my money for Karaka, and take the good odds on whatever Boys Get Paid are not backing lol

2 hours ago, Hesi said:

Today, you are basically betting on the Brisbane weather, showery and it is a draw at 2.08, a full days play and Aus win at 1.83.

Save my money for Karaka, and take the good odds on whatever Boys Get Paid are not backing lol

Imagine punters betting on this.

image.png.48eb71ba9499b325b9c9224b38412a74.png

5 hours ago, Hesi said:

in to $11.50 ..typical NZTAB getting the shites up way too early!

20 minutes ago, Maximus said:

in to $11.50 ..typical NZTAB getting the shites up way too early!

India were higher before play had started, and then when the thinking of many became that rain wouldn't cause much interruption, they came down (to around 7.50 on NZ TAB). And now lengthening out again. So the move from 14 to 11.50 isn't related to them not losing wickets or doing well, but relates to them under performing (and actually drifting) from the point of view of winning given a largely full day of cricket is expected to be available.