The Race Place

Trotting resumes Thursday the 2nd of September 2021.

Double R

I can't figure out how trotting can start up again one day after level 4 lock down finishes, south of Auckland.

The guidance from Harness Racing New Zealand was that horses in level 4 can only be jogged for 10 minutes a day, but not fast worked. Okay, I am not a trainer, but would expect if my horse had only been worked about 25% of its usual amount, and no fast work for two weeks, it would need to work to race fitness again. Obvious, I am wrong.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Cheers.

Robert.

11 minutes ago, craigos1 said:

I agree with you Robert,

There maybe some slow last quarters.

Hi Craig,

I would have the thought the clubs might have shown a bit more consideration for the horses, and have all short races, even 1200 metre races at Invercargill and Cambridge, and 1400 metres at Addington, just to get the horses eased back into racing again.

I am hesitant to suggest, while the guidance was there from Harness Racing New Zealand, whether anybody adhered to it, who knows. However, the true racing people like us will know, by observing the overall times, and last halves, and quarters.

Robert.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 4:17 PM, Double R said:

I am hesitant to suggest, while the guidance was there from Harness Racing New Zealand, whether anybody adhered to it, who knows.

HRNZ probably used the nominations as a guide to whether horses were fit or not. I severely doubt they actually asked or surveyed trainers.

I don't think these horses would ever have been out of work, maybe down slightly but trainers would have always kept them close enough to race fitness. Many horse come back needing a run or two anyway.

While animal welfare is of paramount importance it is only so when it is convenient. Racing resumed today in the south after 2 days out of Level 4 which shows the mighty gambling dollar will always take precedence over anything else.

The whole set of rules around Level 4 were nothing more than lip service in my opinion.

My cynicism is quite high at the moment if you can't tell. 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

HRNZ probably used the nominations as a guide to whether horses were fit or not. I severely doubt they actually asked or surveyed trainers.

I don't think these horses would ever have been out of work, maybe down slightly but trainers would have always kept them close enough to race fitness. Many horse come back needing a run or two anyway.

While animal welfare is of paramount importance it is only so when it is convenient. Racing resumed today in the south after 2 days out of Level 4 which shows the mighty gambling dollar will always take precedence over anything else.

The whole set of rules around Level 4 were nothing more than lip service in my opinion.

My cynicism is quite high at the moment if you can't tell. 😂

The Invercargill race times today were just as they were before lock down. Enough said Happy!!!

• Like 2

Hey Happy, hope you've been keeping well. 

I actually think Spy Da Moment (10's fixed), can beat Sundees Son. Rock hard fit, tough bugger that can work in the running and an owner-trainer-driver, which will be even more of an advantage than normal (given the last few weeks if you know what I mean. 10 minute jogs etc). Small field so it will become quite tactical, but at 10's it's overs and worth a go.

My ole mate Buckskin is appearing, but I will only be taking notes, in preparation for that green stuff they race on in s few weeks (hopefully).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rusty said:

It will show that horses don't actually have to be fast worked at all. 

With the right treatment anything is possible!

8 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Hey Happy, hope you've been keeping well. 

Very well, thank you.

Thankful the racing will become more varied from now on. Winter at Addington for pretty much all the winter is dull. Methven will be a real challenge next week as it always is but with the trials cancelled there on Sunday it is even harder.

10 minutes ago, Rusty said:

I actually think Spy Da Moment (10's fixed), can beat Sundees Son. Rock hard fit, tough bugger that can work in the running and an owner-trainer-driver, which will be even more of an advantage than normal (given the last few weeks if you know what I mean. 10 minute jogs etc). Small field so it will become quite tactical, but at 10's it's overs and worth a go.

Katie Cox is on a roll with this horse and I am really happy for her. You think you will get more on the tote? See it into 8s with the scratching of Chief of Staff. If Spy Da Moment wins, or even runs second, he will be will be well on the well to being in the Dominion.

14 minutes ago, Rusty said:

My ole mate Buckskin is appearing, but I will only be taking notes, in preparation for that green stuff they race on in s few weeks (hopefully).

He will be more of force at Methven which he likes a lot and then Banks later this month. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Katie Cox is on a roll with this horse and I am really happy for her. You think you will get more on the tote? See it into 8s with the scratching of Chief of Staff. If Spy Da Moment wins, or even runs second, he will be will be well on the well to being in the Dominion.

Possibly more on the tote, it'll be interesting. "Top 2" fixed odds may be worth a look, for a multi-builder. 

I hope the Dominion does come into the picture, would be great to see. 

• Like 1

Last two races at Addington, I think I have spotted two good each way bets.

Race 11: #5 Adieu Flirt (John Hay) at $6's and $2.30 FF. Handy enough draw, just wouldn't want to end up parked the trip (1980m), but good enough that it may not matter. If she lands in front and the #1 (Evangalist) is on her back, then God help her, but the $2.30FF place price will help. 

Race 12: #13 Life Of Art $7.50 and $2.40 FF. Again, I think this is good ew money on offer. Not going to be easy, drawn outside of the 2nd row over the 1980m but the 3yr old Art Major gelding has more toe than a Roman sandal. The $2.90 fave Firefox is a cat. I haven't looked up the stats but the money always seems to be on this thing that has had almost more seconds than Aussie galloper Tom Melbourne. 

Happy Punting everyone.

But be more careful than usual, as it's "Gambling Harm Awareness" week. 

• Like 2

But I can still harm myself,  I have an inkling for Talent Agent at 31s in the third. There are some serious newcomers to racing in it and I know it is wrong to back it but I can not help myself. What is the gambling harm hotline number? Anyone know? Globe, you must have rung it a few times, can you give it to me please 😂

While a good cause, all these blue colours are silly.

Well I'm about to say something a little controversial!

Rapt to see Adieu Flirt win again ............ I reckon she is a lovely Mare who may with her New Trainer finally show her potential.

Didn't back her tonight but will be following from now in.

I'm afraid I have NO time for her previous trainer.

Could say more but won't.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, craigos1 said:

Well I'm about to say something a little controversial!

Rapt to see Adieu Flirt win again ............ I reckon she is a lovely Mare who may with her New Trainer finally show her potential.

Didn't back her tonight but will be following from now in.

I'm afraid I have NO time for her previous trainer.

Could say more but won't.

I don't think that post will get you thrown out of church let alone a racing site. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Rusty said:

Race 11: #5 Adieu Flirt (John Hay) at $6's and $2.30 FF. Handy enough draw, just wouldn't want to end up parked the trip (1980m), but good enough that it may not matter. If she lands in front and the #1 (Evangalist) is on her back, then God help her, but the $2.30FF place price will help. 

Race 12: #13 Life Of Art $7.50 and $2.40 FF. Again, I think this is good ew money on offer. Not going to be easy, drawn outside of the 2nd row over the 1980m but the 3yr old Art Major gelding has more toe than a Roman sandal. The $2.90 fave Firefox is a cat. I haven't looked up the stats but the money always seems to be on this thing that has had almost more seconds than Aussie galloper Tom Melbourne. 

You went pretty well there, Rusty.

Life of Art gave a great site in a full on race.

29 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

If you want to see something from the 'Ripley's believe it or not' file, have a look at Ross Cameron's drive on Saginaw last night. Brain fade?

The stipes report as follows:

held up throughout the run home. A post-race veterinary examination revealed no abnormalities. Stewards questioned driver R Cameron regarding the manner he drove on the final bend and in the early stages of the run home when he elected not to shift outwards to obtain clear running but instead move inwards resulting in him being held up throughout the home straight. After hearing Mr Cameron's explanation Stewards issued a charge under Rule 868(2) alleging that he had failed to take all reasonable and permissible measures to obtain the best possible finishing position when he elected to shift inwards near the 200 metres when there was a clear run on the outside. The Adjudicative Committee adjourned the hearing to the Ashburton TC meeting on Sunday 5 September 2021