The Race Place

Broken Hill

craigos1

Watching racing from Broken Hill tonight.

Circumference: 602 metres

Straight: 84.6 metres

I'm thinking this must be the smallest track still racing for Harness in Aussie.

When I lived in Brisbane in the 90's Rocklea wasn't much bigger but I'm sure it was bigger.

Maybe it was lack of room to build a decent size track (which I find hard to comprehend in Australia) but as a teenager I went to the Melbourne Showgrounds and was gobsmacked at its size. Nearly a saucer, and bloody dangerous to race on. They had a smash the night we were there. Wayville in WA was even worse. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, craigos1 said:

Watching racing from Broken Hill tonight.

Circumference: 602 metres

Straight: 84.6 metres

I'm thinking this must be the smallest track still racing for Harness in Aussie.

When I lived in Brisbane in the 90's Rocklea wasn't much bigger but I'm sure it was bigger.

Is very Much like driving Dodgem cars at the Shows rides section lol, when driving horses on these small tracks.

Is great fun and you're always bouncing off someone and getting a wheel under your horses legs , and plenty of yelling and screaming lol......

Here's the home turn of a race I was in, having done countless laps of Rocklea.  (540 m circumference track in Brisbane) Closed now though.

They still race 6 horse fields at the Brisbane Showgrounds every year for the RNA cup during the Ekka. (500m round track)

THIS PHOTO at Rocklea is 70m from the winning Post !!!!  lol.... and shows the sharp turns. All standing starts as mobile car obviously doesn't fit on track lol....

DSC02724.JPG

• Like 1

Ah, Rocklea. Been there, loved it.

Stayed with Ronny Wanless, if you could get to that 2nd last straight in front you were home. NZ pacers did well because of their standing start manners. Glass of beer .80c

Edited by Blackie
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Ah, Rocklea. Been there, loved it.

Stayed with Ronny Wanless, if you could get to that 2nd last straight in front you were home. NZ pacers did well because of their standing start manners. Glass of beer .80c

That's excellent Blackie !!  that's Todd (Ron's son) Winning the Race in this Photo !!!  with whip up high on NZ bred My Highland Skipper.

Todd was fiercely competitive and just about bowled you over every race with aggressive driving lol...... got many a suspension lol,,,  he went to SPRINT-Cars in the end and became one of Aussie's best ever at that. smacking up the american visitors with a weeeee bit more Horse-power !!!!!! lol.....

Bill Dixon won stacks at Rocklea and was always hard to beat. just insane how good he was around there. His son Grant Dixon is a leading Aus trainer now. Won the NSW Derby last week with 'Larry' so was thrilled to bits for him. Grant and Bill remind me of Roy and Mark P for being absolute gentlemen of the game. So polite always and brilliant horsemen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that LB, that’s great. I think Ronnie had a race car circuit where you had to try and beat a time on a big scoreboard, paid your money and it was like a formula ford car, probably where Todd got his grounding. May have been at IIndooropili or the like?

Ron had a track( for the horses) on his place covered with gum trees, a sand track he use to cover with waste oil to keep the dust down.

And a halter and lead at the gate to tie any horse who’s owner didn’t pay the bill 😷.

Stacks of room in that video Blackie.!!!!!   Place looked a whole lot 'Smaller' with the running rail they had. It had an Alexandra Park style 'High rail ' for near 40 of the 50 years that Rocklea raced on a Saturday afternoon.

Wanless family raced Queenslander LUCKY CREED , who set an Aus record of 24 consecutive wins in his day (equalled by Maori's Idol)

They Won the Miracle Mile (our biggest Oz race that is on tonight actually) with Lucky Creed as well. 

19 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Ron had a track( for the horses) on his place covered with gum trees, a sand track he use to cover with waste oil to keep the dust down

Probably Lucky Creed Pictures hanging around the house too from Merv Wanless racing him?