The Race Place

Animal welfare RIU-MPI-SPCA

Rusty

https://www.peta.org/media/news-releases/peta-statement-re-seth-fishman-sentencing/

Seth Fishman’s 11-year prison sentence is just, but punishment shouldn’t be limited to him: This crooked veterinarian had more than 2,000 clients in the horse racing world who kept him in business, and those who knowingly cheated and had him drug their horses need to be behind bars, too.

https://harnesslink.com/usa/dr-seth-fishman-gets-11-years-in-horse-doping-scandal/

This was the main other news saw today. Recall chatting about these cases earlier on. Think DR who hope returns to the site, a gentleman who is the voice of reason, anyway had mentioned at that time nothing had happened to these people. In time, a number are doing the jail house rock. This vet gets 11 years others also doing jailtime. Other main case awaits his trial in 2023, gallops guy J Servis.

As looking for a positive today here it comes, generally I DONT think there is wide spread corruption or doping in NZ. I really don't.

Maybe 1 or 2 bad eggs out of say approx 500. Thats less that 1%. Maybe Im naive, but don’t think so. Its kind of not that hard to spot. But sometimes one just never knows. Anyway clearly in USA it was very widespread!

• 2 months later...

I raised a OIA request with MPI recently, as I was keen to find out what's happened since the introduction of the MOU. 

Farkn nothing is the answer, as seen below, with this response from MPI: 

"The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI), the Racing Integrity Board (RIB) which has been in place since 1 July 2021 (replacing the Racing Integrity Unit (RIU)) and the Royal New Zealand Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Incorporated (SPCA) work closely to help ensure animal welfare standards are met for those involved in racing. A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the parties clarifies who investigates incidents involving racing animals. Under this MOU, the RIU investigates all race day and non-race day incidents under the Rules of Racing and notifies MPI and or the SPCA who may also investigate the incident under the Animal Welfare Act 1999 (AWA).

There have been meetings between those parties since 2021 but none where all three parties were present, and none where minutes were recorded."

It's all b/s. They say they work closely, but have never even been in the same room together. 

What makes it even worse is that this directly contravenes the MOU that they all signed up for, under the heading 3.1 Commitments, where they are meant to have met twice a year. 

Garry Orr from MPI, hang your head in shame. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Rusty said:

There have been meetings between those parties since 2021 but none where all three parties were present, and none where minutes were recorded."

What a load of shit. Can even get 3 groups in the same room and then no minutes.

You would think they would be discussing the deaths of the 3 Telfer horses and Soaring's last week before the race.

If it wasn't so serious it would be a comedy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

You would think they would be discussing the deaths of the 3 Telfer horses

I also raised an OIA request over this exact issue too. 

I will try and post about it, on this thread soon, as I finally received a response from MPI. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Reading over the Memorandum of Understanding, one could come to the fair assumption the 3 parties are derelict in their duty.

I've asked MPI why they have elected not to meet the other two parties at the same time, and why they initially agreed to meet twice a year, but nope, they can't be arsed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And just to be be very clear on this, I am not part of the anti-racing brigade, and not part of the cult that are out to try and shut down racing.

Just wanting MPI (a government department of Jacindastan), to hold the bastards that mistreat horses accountable for their actions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rusty said:

I also raised an OIA request over this exact issue too. 

I will try and post about it, on this thread soon, as I finally received a response from MPI. 

Here's my question to MPI: 

In April, July and September this year, racehorses died during a race, or immediately afterwards, with no apparent explanation. All three horses were from the same harness racing stable. 
Can you please advise what actions (if any) MPI take regarding racehorse deaths, and if post mortem results are available? 

MPI's response: 

"There is a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Ministry for Primary 
Industries (MPI), Racing Integrity Board (RIB) and the Royal New Zealand Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Incorporated (SPCA). This MOU has been provided as Appendix One for your reference.  

The MOU clarifies who investigates incidents involving racing animals. Under this MOU, the RIB investigates all race day and non-race day incidents under the Rules of Racing and notifies MPI and or the SPCA who, under section 3.2 of the MOU, may also investigate the incident under the Animal Welfare Act 1999 (AWA). 

Regarding the racehorse deaths you mention, as per our MOU, the RIB advised MPI of the incidents you refer to on 23 September 2022. The RIB has concluded their investigation of the horse deaths and neither MPI nor RIB will be taking any further action. 

MPI do not hold the post-mortem results, nor do we believe it to be held by another agency that is subject to the OIA or Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 (LGOIMA). As such, this part of your request is refused under section 18(g)(i) of the OIA."

Clever use of words there. My pick is that MPI know that there are post mortem results, but they also know that HRNZ nor the RIB can be subjected to OIA requests.

But once again MPI show their true worth in these cases. Frickn useless. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16 September I raised a further OIA with MPI: 

Why didn't MPI fulfill their commitment to meet with the other 2 parties involved with the MOU (as outlined in the MOU, to meet in person, twice a year etc). To be fair, I'm asking the other two organisations the same question, not just MPI. 

Under the OIA may I also please receive all information that MPI hold, including copies of photos and/or video footage, relating to the events, and investigation (that the RIB conducted, and shared with MPI), regarding horse trainer Jesse Alford (suspended from training for 7 years)?" 

As yet no response, but I will post it up on here once received. 

• Like 1

I also asked MPI: 

How many horse racing stables MPI have visited (in the last 12 months), to investigate the use of prohibited substances, or performance enhancing substances, on race horses. 

Their response: 

"In regard to your request for information on MPI visits to horse racing stables in the last 12 months, we have searched our records from 1 January 2021 to 19 August 2022 and found four cases relating to the use of prohibited or performance enhancing substances. As per the MOU, these cases were investigated by the RIU, and MPI did not visit the stables." 

• Thanks 1

And those 4 cases were: 

2021  Harness racing horse injected with banned substance     Investigation conducted by RIU – Trainer disqualified for 7 years. 
MPI reviewed RIU investigation. Evidence gathered by RIU inadmissible so not progressed further under the Animal Welfare Act. 

2021     Trainer seen with syringe near horse     Investigation conducted by RIB under the Rules of Racing – Trainer disqualified for 21 months. 
MPI advised of investigation as per MOU. 
MPI reviewed RIU investigation. 
Testing unable to confirm what substance horse was injected with, therefore no evidence to prove animal harm. 

2022  Thoroughbred horse tested 
positive for 
Methamphetamine     Investigation conducted by RIU – Trainer disqualified for 18 months. 
MPI advised of investigation as per MOU. 
Positive result due to contamination / exposure in environment. No evidence of animal harm. 

2022 Thoroughbred horse returned 
positive test for methamphetamine     Investigation conducted by RIU – no outcome to date. MPI advised of investigation as per MOU and undertook additional inquiries regarding testing. No 
evidence that positive result was due to administration of drugs. No evidence of animal harm. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rusty said:

2021  Harness racing horse injected with banned substance     Investigation conducted by RIU – Trainer disqualified for 7 years. 
MPI reviewed RIU investigation. Evidence gathered by RIU inadmissible so not progressed further under the Animal Welfare Act. 

"Evidence gathered by RIU inadmissible so not progressed further under the Animal Welfare Act" 

Interesting.

Disappointing. 

Not surprising. 

Typical. 

Useless. 

And that's why I have asked MPI for all the info they have on the Jesse Alford case. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rusty said:

Haha sorry, just needed to get all that sh!t off my chest.

I'm feeling better now, having had a cup of tea (same one that the monkeys drink), and a lie down. 

It's all for show a lot of what they do.

I call it the 'generation age' where the powers that be sit down and have these 'fantastic' meetings where they produce a document saying it is all sorted then it nothing is done. Just forgotten while they move on to the next fix.

The art of 'doing' is lost in this mad world of bureaucracy.

In essence, the memorandum is literally a piece of paper. Shame winter is over, I could have put it to better use in the logburner.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It took MPI the maximum allowable number of working days under the law, to pretty much say nothing: 

Thank you for your email of 16 September 2022 requesting information relating to the why the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI), the Racing Integrity Board (RIB) and the Royal New Zealand Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Incorporated (SPCA) have not met twice a year as per the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), and your subsequent request for information relating to Jesse Alford. Your requests have been considered under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA). 

I shall quote and respond to each part of your request below. 

You requested: Why didn't MPI fulfill their commitment to meet with the other 2 parties involved with the MOU (as outlined in the MOU, to meet in person, twice a year etc). To be fair, I'm asking the other two organisations the same question, not just MPI. 

The MOU provided to you in response to your OIA request (reference OIA22-0729) was signed on 10 November 2021.  

It relevantly states that: 

“The parties commit to … meet, preferably in person, twice a year. Senior representatives from all three organisations will be present at the meeting”. 

As advised in response to your OIA request (reference OIA22-0680) there have been meetings between the parties since the MOU was signed but none where all three parties were present.  

However, staff from all three organisations correspond regularly via email and phone to discuss individual situations (where appropriate) as well as opportunities for greater engagement between agencies.  

For example, on 26 July 2022, RIB officials presented their animal welfare programme to MPI Animal Welfare Inspectors. MPI Compliance staff also met with SPCA Inspectorate representatives on 27 July 2022 and 27 September 2022. MPI, the SPCA and RIB have also discussed joint animal welfare training opportunities for Animal Welfare Inspectors and RIB Investigators.  

We continue our commitment to animal welfare in the racing industry. 

You also requested: Under the OIA may I also please receive all information that MPI hold, including copies of photos and/or video footage, relating to the events, and investigation (that the RIB conducted, and shared with MPI), regarding horse trainer Jesse Alford (suspended from training for 7 years)? 

As recorded in the MOU, MPI and the RIB “may share information relating to the maintenance of the law and the investigation of offending under the Animal Welfare Act and Rules of Racing”. 

Any information supplied by the RIB to MPI regarding the RIB’s investigation into Jesse Alford was provided in this context. 

Further, the information was supplied to MPI subject to an obligation of confidence, the release of the requested information would be likely to prejudice the supply of similar information, and it is in the public interest that such information should continue to be supplied.  

Consequently, the information requested in the second part of your request has been withheld pursuant to the following sections of the OIA:  

•    Section 6(c) – the making available of that information would be likely to prejudice the maintenance of the law, including the prevention, investigation, and detection of offences, and the right to a fair trial; and  
•    Section 9(2)(ba)(i) – to protect information which is subject to an obligation of confidence, where the making available of the information would be likely to prejudice the supply of similar information and it is in the public interest that such information should continue to be supplied. 

MPI is satisfied that in the circumstances of this case, the withholding of the information is not outweighed by other considerations which render it desirable in the public interest to make the information available.  

I trust the information provided is of assistance. Should you have any concerns with this response, I would encourage you to raise these with the Ministry for Primary Industries at 
Official.InformationAct@mpi.govt.nz. Alternatively, you are advised of your right to also raise any concerns with the Office of the Ombudsman. Contact details are: Office of the Ombudsman, PO Box 10152, Wellington 6143 or at info@ombudsman.parliament.nz.  

Ngā mihi nui 

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Rusty said:

It took MPI the maximum allowable number of working days under the law, to pretty much say nothing: 

A lot of words to say nothing indeed. Just to clarify they kind of do something in a roundabout way, but not really what they are supposed to do....

26 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Thank you for your email of 16 September 2022

Thank you? Really, if you sent this request to me and had to reply like they have, I wouldn't be thanking you Rusty!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

A lot of words to say nothing indeed. Just to clarify they kind of do something in a roundabout way, but not really what they are supposed to do....

Thank you? Really, if you sent this request to me and had to reply like they have, I wouldn't be thanking you Rusty!

Haha dead right. 

Just a typical government department; not doing a helluva lot, but pretending too, and trying to justify their inflated wage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/1/2023 at 11:10 PM, Rusty said:

I know which agency I'd like him to be referred to. 

Rusty thank you for your work on animals welfare,  I know i appreciate it.  Keep pestering the mongrels!  Telfers stable needs investigating. Going by the number of deaths/unexplained. I will text my mate in Auckland to see what he knows,  he did have shares in a few? 

Hj

21 hours ago, Honest john said:

Rusty thank you for your work on animals welfare,  I know i appreciate it.  Keep pestering the mongrels!  Telfers stable needs investigating. Going by the number of deaths/unexplained. I will text my mate in Auckland to see what he knows,  he did have shares in a few? 

Hj

Cheers. 

There are some really good, hard working people at MPI, that genuinely care about animal welfare. Then there others, that are, lets just say, not as good, to put it very mildly. 

Obtaining sufficient evidence, is key. 

So too, is a good working partnership between racing authorities and MPI.

Unfortunately, I am still hearing there is a lot of work to do, on that collaboration between the two agencies. They just need to get on the same page, join forces properly and don't get too possessive of any particular investigative case.

Until that happens, we are never going to see the best results for the poor animal subjected to the abuse some of these low-life scum are resorting to. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Credit, where credit is due to the RIB. 10 years for Burrows sends a clear message. Anderson has to go for a life ban from associating with harness.

And to think, people used to defend wholeheartedly the rights of these people when it was clear what they were up to. 

And still, the regular harness media (and social media) won't go near the decision, can't even bring themselves to condemn a person giving a horse vodka. Crickets.

Brad Reid's article needs to be read again:

If we as an industry can’t come together and condemn this sort of behaviour publicly, a culture of tolerance and acceptance will inadvertently perpetuate and continue to rot us from the inside out.

Our own people are the single biggest threat to our industry’s survival. Not the left. Not the greens. And not administrative decisions made by the governing body.

• Thanks 2