The Race Place

ARC press release

pete

Good afternoon

As you are aware, for many years, the 3yof 1600 (G2) on Boxing Day has been called the Cambridge Stud Eight Carat Classic.  This year, Cambridge Stud are not sponsoring the race so the race reverted back to its registered name of Ladies Mile. 

However, given the significance of Eight Carat and prestige associated with that name, we have made the decision to revert back to the Eight Carat name.

Therefore, on Boxing Day, the race will be called SkyCity Eight Carat Classic. 

It would be appreciated if you can please refer to this name on Trackside, print and online. 

3 hours ago, Hesi said:

I'd be more interested to know why Cambridge Stud are not sponsoring the race

Why should The Cambridge Stud sponsor it?

Eight Caret was owned by Sir Patrick Hogan who was the sponsor. 

Sir Patrick probably kept up the sponsorship after he sold Cambridge Stud (although I can’t confirm that) and has probably decided enough is enough. 

What the Auckland Racing Club need go do, is go the the Patten of Racing Committee, formally know as the Graded Stakes Committee and ask to have the original name of Ladies Mile officially changed to the Eight Caret. 

No big deal, it happens now and again such as in Australia with (I think the Winx Stakes.)

It’s not much use doing it half heartedly as the ARC seem to be doing.

There again is Baker and his cohorts up to understanding it? 
Somehow I doubt it, given how they have thrown tradition and success out the window over the last 10 to 12 years. i.e. The Christmas/New Year Carnival. 

Just saying....🤐

41 minutes ago, Buller Rep said:

Why should The Cambridge Stud sponsor it?

Eight Caret was owned by Sir Patrick Hogan who was the sponsor. 

Sir Patrick probably kept up the sponsorship after he sold Cambridge Stud (although I can’t confirm that) and has probably decided enough is enough. 

What the Auckland Racing Club need go do, is go the the Patten of Racing Committee, formally know as the Graded Stakes Committee and ask to have the original name of Ladies Mile officially changed to the Eight Caret. 

No big deal, it happens now and again such as in Australia with (I think the Winx Stakes.)

It’s not much use doing it half heartedly as the ARC seem to be doing.

There again is Baker and his cohorts up to understanding it? 
Somehow I doubt it, given how they have thrown tradition and success out the window over the last 10 to 12 years. i.e. The Christmas/New Year Carnival. 

Just saying....🤐

Thanks, my bad, well pointed out

No arguments from me over the Boxing/NYD carnival, I think it was 2004 that the last Derby was run on Boxing Day, won by Xcellent